Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course it was not a 1:1 trade (especially taking into account the fact, that Indian is brand new and my XG was 3 years old and had 21kkm on a tacho...) but decided to say good by to my small HD. Although it was a quick decision , I'd call it a result of a longer process. I had this bike for long 40 months after all and really had a chance to notice all pros and cons of the machine.

First of all- XG never failed and was running quite OK BUT there was a lot of minor fails and signs of cost cutting. Compared to Indian (or any Japanese bike) it's a different world and I know that Scout (which I purchased) costs a lot more BUT the Sixty version is not so more expensive, still the quality gap is noticeable. As a rather tall guy (186cm and 90kg) I was a bit cramped on my XG. I loved the overall looks (from at least 2m as the closer i was the more "little things" were visible) and the engine but the Indians ergonomics and handling (especially the breaking is much better in 2020 version than in my '17 XG) was the thing that made my decision quite easy.

When XG was introduced in '15 I hoped that this will be a beginning of a new bike family with liquid cooled engines and acceptable handling but withe some of the HD looks. I was counting on quality improvements and that a bit larger capacities (like 1000cc) will be introduced fitted in a bit larger frame but now it seems that the Street line is treated as a rather unwanted child. Even the dealers do not want to present the bikes and discourage from buying them. Was frequently asked by them when I will purchase a "real bike" as this is only a one for beginners or small ladies... I think that Indian/Polaris have a very different approach for their "small cruisers" with liquid cooled V-twins (Scout/Scout Sixty and the bobber versions etc). It's rather sad as the Revolution engine is simply fantastic and do deserve to have appropriate attention- not everyone want and need the Milwaukee Eight beast...

Looking forward for your thoughts on the subject....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello there, I agree with the fact that the 750XG is considered a "starting" bike to give you a bit of the HD flavor. It is considered an intro bike with the expectation that the owners eventually will step up and trade in their bike for a "bigger" one. Hence the short comings, lack of upgrades and spotty appearance such as the highly visible wire harness and dangerous rear-view mirrors. I have been looking at the Indian as well but so far have not made the move. The bad part is that the street "fits" me well and I find it sizable safe enough to handle. Maybe one day I will get an Indian as well.

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
I think that H-D would have done better with these bikes if they had made the parts available to set them up for various types of riding (bobber, baby bagger, scrambler/ADV, and café racer) and let the buyers hit the limits of the frame and engine size naturally, if at all. Limiting the H-D accessories, some of dubious quality for the price, are an obvious attempt to encourage riders to move on to another bike as quickly as possible. I don't see selling a kid a bike with a six year financing agreement and then trying to convince him that he has outgrown it in the first year as a way to build customer confidence.

Somebody from the MoCo definitely forgot to send the memo to the salesmen that they should try to enthusiastically try to sell these bikes anytime they met resistance to selling a Sportster. H-D promotional material talked about this being the bike for urban riders, young people just learning to ride, women who are small of stature, and overseas markets not populated by the typical American Bubba-sized rider. Nowhere do they acknowledge that these just might be the bikes for people that just couldn't afford a bigger bike or buyers who realized they didn't need Road Glides to commute to work, run errands, or take a joy rides.

The lack of support from the MoCo and individual dealerships has not done this product line any favors. The commonly held belief amongst the Harlier than Thou crowd that nobody can pass the city limits sign on anything smaller than a 103 mystifies me. The very riding that I'm told my Street 750 is incapable of is exactly what people were doing on 500-650 cc UJM's when I was a kid in the 1970's.

That being said, it is with the help of some third party manufacturers, mostly in India and southeast Asia, that those of us who do enjoy these bikes continue to find ways to keep them fun and entertaining to ride. I honestly wish I had spent the money on completing my baby bagger build in 2018 instead of buying my Sportster. That really would have made it comfortable and capable enough for the way I ride. I'm continuing down that path despite having bought the larger bike, but am now well behind schedule. If I ever feel the need to buy something bigger than the Sportster, I'll probably trade it and keep the Street just because it's the one being customized for me and by me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello there, I agree with the fact that the 750XG is considered a "starting" bike to give you a bit of the HD flavor. It is considered an intro bike with the expectation that the owners eventually will step up and trade in their bike for a "bigger" one.
Yes, but this does not mean that the dealers should dicourage the product itself and this is what they're doing. This should go like this: XG750 as entry, not-so-expensive and when you like it we have something for you. Not discouraging the product, like now. After such a negative approach I was not keen to buy any other product from them... They were not on my list when I was checking what's available on the market, which is rather bad for dealer as now I had a bit bigger budget to spend...

The lack of support from the MoCo and individual dealerships has not done this product line any favors. The commonly held belief amongst the Harlier than Thou crowd that nobody can pass the city limits sign on anything smaller than a 103 mystifies me. The very riding that I'm told my Street 750 is incapable of is exactly what people were doing on 500-650 cc UJM's when I was a kid in the 1970's.
In UE we don't have straight and long roads- we have quite twisty, narrow ones that lead through thousands of small towns. This is not a place for big, heavy cruiser that are useless in traffic. XG750 in such a case is a perfect bike but the ergonomics sucks for people like me (a bit over average height but still not very tall). I loved the looks (from distance) and lots of people that saw the bike also were impressed (true story!). In such a case bike like the Scout (modern, liquid cooled 999-1200ccm engine in a light chassis) is my next choice instead of Sportster (which would not withstand daily commuting due to air cooled engine and lack of dynamics) or current Softail line (this engine is a beast and totally oversized for people like me, who commute 30-40knm every day and are not in 50+ age department just before retirement). this is the reason why there are less and less HD riders here- the bikes are treated as a toy for boys that already managed to pay their mortgage, kids already left the home and now is time to show off ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m with PugslyCat on this. The XG’s have so much potential. When I bought mine, there were two other bikes on the shortlist. The Scout 60 and the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650. All very capable bikes. What it boiled down to was, I’d been wanting a Harley for a few years.
And, it’s been my argument that they’ve given the XG’s short shrift by not following through on the possibilities. I’ve turned mine into a baby Heritage.
The motor and transmission are great for the riding I do right now. I do a lot of rural riding because it’s my get away. I’d love to see them expand the line to possibly a 950 or 1000 cc. And up the available parts for customization.
I’m curious to see if XG owners are going to get screwed by the new CEO and his vision of making H-D the bike everyone aspires to. Got a feeling this is going to put a hurting on the MoCo’s customer base as a whole.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, 1000-1200cc XG with some room for my legs and still around 250kg of wet weigh... I was praying for such a bike and was willing to pay for it! BTW, this is actually what the Scout is- only the badge iis different :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
They almost had a bike like that ready for production and sale to an eagerly waiting market. It was the Bronx.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They almost had a bike like that ready for production and sale to an eagerly waiting market. It was the Bronx.

not really IMHO- XG (not the Street Rod) have cruiser-like aesthetics, contrary to the Bronx concept (streetfihter). On the other hand- keepin Pan Amerca and abandonin Bronx is a strange approach to their customers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts