Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with the fuel cap on my 2018 Street Rod. When I last replaced the cap on to the tank at the service station, the alignment of the lock didn't click back to '12 o'clock' and instead is angled slightly to the right. The key now won't go in to the fuel cap lock more than halfway due to the misalignment of the barrel. There was a post on Reddit with the same issue a few years ago but no resolution was given. Has anyone had this before or have any advice on how to fix it? I've called a few locksmiths, none of whom will touch it. Harley say they'll take a look at it but I would have to get it towed to the dealer as the tank is nearly empty, which I will do if no other soliton arises.

Appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had the same problem a couple months after I got my bike in 2016. Luckily there was plenty of gas for me to drive to the dealership and the bike was still under warranty. They ended up replacing the gas cap. Since the new gas cap had a different key, they needed to replace the ignition as well. So I was lucky. To prevent this from happening again, I put some WD40 in the lock so once in a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem from dropping my cap on the ground and warping the internal sheetmetal. I have since repaired it by disassembling the part pushing the sheetmetal back into place with a flatblade screwdriver and reassembling it. With the cap on the tank, press and hold the outside rim of the fuel cap all the way down to the tank and at the same time you should be able to very easily slip the key into the cylinder and turn it. If you have to do this however, you have too much free play between the body of the fuel cap, and the lock cylinder, and you need to disassemble the fuel cap and repair the damage, or simply tighten the screws from underneath the cap assembly. It might help if you tap it on the table lightly a few times to reposition the cylinder, who knows? That's if there is no damage, but you have probably damaged something in the cap or the screws would probably have stayed in place anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Press down on the cap. Spray cooking oil down in there. WD40. By pressing down on the cap, it may swing back to center, if not running the key in and press it then. Might take a few combos to get it to open. And just a test only. I'd drop it in a vinegar and peroxide solution. Say a cup of vinny to a shot glass of peroxide. Say about 2 hours worth sitting. Still turn the key in the solution and see if it freed up.. If it can be disassembled, you just want the tumblers and springs soaked, not the rubber. Vinny could swell the rubber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice legends. I ended up getting the cap off by putting pressure on different spots around the edge of the cap until it 'clicked'. The teeth in the cap hadn't fully engaged despite being pressed all the way down onto the tank. The key slot remained at an angle but I can now get the key in and unlock it. Still stiff, but at least it's off. I'll have a look at the screws on the bottom and make sure its all okay, and get some graphite powder into it to try and loosen it up. I've got a keyless replacement cap on the way which hopefully will work a bit better.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
"get some graphite powder into it"
That's the best lubricant for this job. If you poured alcohol into the lock and blew it out with compressed air, you will have duplicated what WD40 would do. DriSlide is graphite suspended in a liquid delivery that runs it into everywhere. It leaves the parts with a stable coating of graphite.
Shops use this lube for cables. It's easy to apply. Get's everywhere it needs to get. There's also a lock product that squirts into locks, LockEase. The link is for DriSlide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts