Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies guys but bad news and a quick rant about this product. I know some guys have installed and used successfully on their streets but this has been my experience today:

Absolutely disgusted with the quality control of this product. installation should have been a breeze instead one of the supplied bolts broke off at the head, leaving almost the entirety of the threads stuck in my cylinder head. Attempted to remove with screw extractor to no avail because that broke inside the screw as well. Since I could no longer go back to stock air filter with that hole filled, decided to continue mounting with only the front cylinder bracket portion attached. Fast forward halfway through installation and the 20mm bolt that secures the filter housing to the cross-cylinder bracket is unable to thread through the nut that is welded in place to the bracket. Why? Because the wrong thread nut was welded to the bracket. I don't understand how quality control on item could be so bad as to give so many issues. I'm going to use the product for now because I have no other option but to say I'm disappointed is a complete and utter understatement. Hopefully someday I'll be able to get the rest of that screw out of the cylinder but for now its made itself a home.
IMG_20200904_195727.jpg
IMG_20200904_195722.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Devin, sorry this happened to you. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. The easiest way to get that broken bolt & broken extractor out now is to find a plain steel nut with a center hole that is just about the same diameter or just a hair smaller as the hole the broken bolt is stuck in. Disconnect the battery in the bike completely. That is very important because you'll wreck the ECM if you leave it connected. Shield the bike completely around the broken bolt hole with cardboard and maybe a thick blanket you don't care about over the exhaust system. Cover the bike farther than you think because MIG splatters fly a couple of feet and they will damage what they land on. Take your MIG welder (or even better your TIG welder if you have that) and position the plain steel nut you found earlier directly over the broken bolt hole. Use a high heat setting and a medium to high wire speed. Weld directly into the center of the hole in the nut perpendicular to the broken bolt so the weld goes straight into the hole. One continuous weld, don't stop & start. It's pretty quick and the weld puddle will come up to the surface of the nut in 3 or 4 seconds and that's it, stop. Let it cool for a couple of minutes and use a socket on the nut and gently turn it with the broken junk welded to it out of your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Devin, sorry this happened to you. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. The easiest way to get that broken bolt & broken extractor out now is to find a plain steel nut with a center hole that is just about the same diameter or just a hair smaller as the hole the broken bolt is stuck in. Disconnect the battery in the bike completely. That is very important because you'll wreck the ECM if you leave it connected. Shield the bike completely around the broken bolt hole with cardboard and maybe a thick blanket you don't care about over the exhaust system. Cover the bike farther than you think because MIG splatters fly a couple of feet and they will damage what they land on. Take your MIG welder (or even better your TIG welder if you have that) and position the plain steel nut you found earlier directly over the broken bolt hole. Use a high heat setting and a medium to high wire speed. Weld directly into the center of the hole in the nut perpendicular to the broken bolt so the weld goes straight into the hole. One continuous weld, don't stop & start. It's pretty quick and the weld puddle will come up to the surface of the nut in 3 or 4 seconds and that's it, stop. Let it cool for a couple of minutes and use a socket on the nut and gently turn it with the broken junk welded to it out of your bike.
Triple S, thanks for the insight! I will definitely have to try that & will update as soon as I can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts