Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be warned - I tried to be very specific for the other newbs out there like me who have never changed grips before, so the instructions are a bit wordy. ;)

Ingredients:

- 1 pair 1" Kuryakyn ISO grips (pn 6340)
- 2 pkg Joker Machine 7/8" Metric To 1" Harley Handlebar Adapters
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- PVC pipe cutters or Dremel tool
- Adhesive remover, such as Goo Gone
- Isopropyl alcohol, QD Electric Cleaner or other fast-evaporating liquid

Directions - Throttle Grip

Step 1: Remove the OEM grip. If you don't plan on reusing it, you can simply cut it off with a razor (be careful not to press too hard and damage the throttle tube). I didn't know if my plan would work, so I used an air compressor and a blower attachment with a rubber nozzle to essentially "blow" the grip off. The OEM grip is soft rubber, so the air pressure stretches it just enough to easily slide the grip off of the throttle tube.

Step 2: Spray the throttle tube and the inside of the new grip with an alcohol-based cleaner, such as QD Electronic Cleaner or straight isopropyl alcohol, and work the grip onto the throttle tube. The idea is you want a liquid that will provide enough lubrication to allow you to wiggle the new grip on but will dry quickly so that there is no residue. Also, choose something that will not harm your paint, should any spill or overspray.

Hooray! You have a new throttle grip!

Directions - Clutch Grip

Step 1: Loosen the two screws on the control housing just enough to wiggle the grip out. Once it is out of the clamshell, the grip should just slide right off of the handlebar. Adjust the control housing to its original position and tighten the screws. The ISO grip is longer than the original, so you'll need a frame of reference how far to fit it onto the handlebar.

Step 2: Using an adhesive remover, clean off the old adhesive. It doesn't have to be perfect, you just need a smooth, clean surface.

Step 3: Hold the new grip parallel with the handlebar so that the inside edge of the grip is close to the control housing and measure the distance from the end of the handlebar to the end of the grip. For the ISO grip the inside of the grip actually stops just passed the last piece of rubber so measure to here, not the end of the grip itself.

This is important because the new ISO grip is longer than the OEM grips and you will have an empty space at the end of the handlebar. The rubber of the grip is not attached to the grip "frame" and without something behind it you'll end up squishing the rubber into the frame. Once you actually have the ISO grip in front of you, you'll know what I mean.

The ISO grip comes with a plastic spacer for this purpose. Unless this spacer is the same size as the space you need to fill, you'll need to cut it shorter. Personally, I found PVC pipe cutters worked perfectly. Just make sure when you're done that the edge is smooth because you'll need to work the spacer down into the grip and you don't want anything to catch on the rubber.

I was lucky and I only had to cut it once. I don't know how easy it is to get the spacer back out of the grip, but I'm sure it can be done. Slide the grip onto the naked handlebar to check the spacing and adjust if necessary.

Step 4: Slide the Joker Machine handlebar adapters onto the handlebar. For me, 3 was the perfect length (they're each 1 1/4" long), but use as many as you need to fit the length of the grip.

Step 5: Using the adhesive that comes with the grips, glue the adapters to the handlebars one at a time. Work quickly cause this glue dries FAST! I put the glue on the handlebar itself for the first one so that it had less distance to slide and dry before I had it on all the way. The other two I was able to put the glue on the inside of the adapters so that there wasn't any seepage between them. Allow to dry completely, about 2-3 minutes. You don't want these moving when you put the grip on!

Step 6: Using the same method as the throttle grip, slide the grip onto the adapters using an alcohol-based lubricant.

Voila! Kuryakyn ISO grips for your HD Street!

*Special thanks to the folks from this thread, without whom I wouldn't have had an INKLING how to do this myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Awesome tutorial - so this would work with any ISO grips?

Also, assume you could fabricate your own spacers with a 7/8 ID - Assume the OD is 1" or 1 1/4"

Good work

Ray

·
Registered
147 Posts
DOH! Just re-read the start of the post - 1"

So I measured the throttle tube - it's greater than 1" - so I assume the grip needs to have a bit of give - chrome ones with rubber no good?

Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Awesome tutorial - so this would work with any ISO grips?

Also, assume you could fabricate your own spacers with a 7/8 ID - Assume the OD is 1" or 1 1/4"

Good work

Ray
Thanks! I don't know for sure, since I haven't tried them and I don't have any experience with the other types, but you're right, it probably works best with grips that have some rubber to them. The black ISOs are metal framed with the rubber lining the inside. It didn't feel like I had to force them any - they seemed to fit tight enough not to move around, but not so tight that I had any issues with getting them on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgive me for sounding like a noob. I suppose I am when it comes to working on my bike. The Link you posted for the grips looks like it has a throttle tube in it but your directions didn't mention it. Are you just pulling that piece out and using the already installed throttle tube or something? I only have a few mods I am wanting to do to my bike and this is at the top of the list right now so any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Look closely at the pics when you order your grips. Most do come with a throttle tube. I do have a spare throttle tube, bought before I found this out. Doh!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice job there! :)

Had I've known about the joker machine handle bar adapters, I wouldn't have bought two different size grips (actually several sets). So now all you really need is the enough Joker adapters and a set of the 6340 Black ISO grips unless you prefer chrome ones. I like my ISO's and sticking with them. It looks like your technique could be used for other brands of universal 1 inch grips.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The ISOs didn't come with a throttle tube so I used the stock one, but yeah, keep in mind that some do and may or may not be removable. Really helpful tips here: http://youtu.be/bg4-fJNWoiU
I too used the stock throttle tube as well. Its a waste of time trying to shave down the stock. Besides, stock ones are cheap to replace. Now I'm trying to get use to a center stand I installed recently as shown in the pic.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts