Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I haven't heard much about the lag and leap issue that the Streets seem to exhibit when low on fuel, does anyone know if the factory is addressing this issue? Has this been a pretty wide-spread issue that others have experienced?
Well, I have only read about it on the forum. Haven't experienced it myself, nor has this been reported to our local dealer so far, since I asked him about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have not experienced this issue and I don't know any owners here who are seeing this issue.
Some owners who received the earlier lot have experienced tank leak issue and Harley is doing a recall for those lots.

·
Registered
97 Posts
any idea if they have the issue narrowed down to some production date range of the HD street?
Here it is

Report Receipt Date: SEP 05, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V536000
Component(s):

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

4 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
SUMMARY:

Harley-Davidson Motor Company (Harley-Davidson) is recalling certain model year 2015 XG500 and XG750 motorcycles manufactured June 11, 2014, to August 14, 2014. The fuel tank filler neck may be insufficiently flat, preventing the fuel cap from sealing properly. CONSEQUENCE:

If the fuel cap doesn't properly seal, fuel may leak, increasing the risk of a vehicle fire. REMEDY:

Harley-Davidson will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the motorcycle and test to see if fuel can leak from under the fuel cap. Any motorcycle that leaks fuel from under the fuel cap will have its gas tanked replaced, free of charge. The recall began in late September 2014. Owners may contact Harley-Davidson customer service at 1-800-258-2464. Harley-Davidson's number for this recall is 0161.

Got the details from Go to http://www.safercar.gov/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=fRBBJD8MH4pdBHZ2sfQJ0H58FZgS99F0VBy7LfsW8GTr5NhMGcyh!-1380776292

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've experienced this problem and recently brought my 750 in to get looked at. It was to the point where I didn't even want to ride it anymore. It also felt like it was going to quit on me while riding if I wasn't going around 50mph. They told me that the problem was due to a sheared flywheel key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It happens to me when I accelerate from a light when I have about .9 gallon left. Very annoying. If I'm on the highway and going in a straight line, I have no problems-- it's the stop/start that does it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All owners of the Street should make a complaint to nhtsa. Search on google and make a formal complaint. I hate to be the hard ass...but this is a serious concern when HD markets the bike to "new" riders. I've been riding most of my life and it took skills to avoid a crash when the first "lurch" happened to me. I have only owned the Street for 3 days and was surprised when the first lurch happened to me with slightly lower than 1/2 tank of fuel. HD needs to stop selling the Street series bikes until they fix this safety issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I submitted my complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This was the problem I described:
"With roughly .9 gallons of fuel in tank, when leaving a full stop, vehicle pauses hard on acceleration. Probable cause is fuel starvation caused by fuel flowing back in the tank, away from the front-located fuel pump, starving EFI system of gasoline. As fuel moves forward after a brief pause in forward momentum, the pump has access to the fuel and the bike suddenly lurches forward. This happens multiple times as the fuel in tank travels forward and aft. Extremely unsafe condition at low speeds, especially at intersections when this is most likely to occur."

Feel free to copy and paste if this is similarly happening to anyone else. I went to my dealership and they were not helpful. I seem to remember one member having this issue and then getting it resolved. Does anyone have any insight into that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've experienced this problem and recently brought my 750 in to get looked at. It was to the point where I didn't even want to ride it anymore. It also felt like it was going to quit on me while riding if I wasn't going around 50mph. They told me that the problem was due to a sheared flywheel key.
I've had both issues...took my bike in at about 900 miles.
1. The "leap/Lag"
2. Fuel issues at low speed and it cutting out a traffic lights.

The "leap/Lag" happens from time to time leaving a stop light or rounding a 90% corner. Typically when I "get on it" so to speak. I recall being about 120miles into the tank. Still happens from time to time.

I was getting frustrated. Only ran okay at 50mph or more. The low speed issues and cutting out was was failed Woodruff Key. I have a new engine now and about 600 miles into it...things seem much better. Sucked breaking in another engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I submitted my complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This was the problem I described:
"With roughly .9 gallons of fuel in tank, when leaving a full stop, vehicle pauses hard on acceleration. Probable cause is fuel starvation caused by fuel flowing back in the tank, away from the front-located fuel pump, starving EFI system of gasoline. As fuel moves forward after a brief pause in forward momentum, the pump has access to the fuel and the bike suddenly lurches forward. This happens multiple times as the fuel in tank travels forward and aft. Extremely unsafe condition at low speeds, especially at intersections when this is most likely to occur."

Feel free to copy and paste if this is similarly happening to anyone else. I went to my dealership and they were not helpful. I seem to remember one member having this issue and then getting it resolved. Does anyone have any insight into that?

This is the same issue i have. :(
1st time back at the shop i was told bad spark plug. Got it home all ran good for awhile then bam back to the same issues.
Next time i was told it was bad gas or dirty gas. They filled it up and said all was good. So now i just run it untill i have gone about 100 miles and then fill up and all good. With mine it also does not wanna start when it gets low like that. That is another sign that im close to my mile mark.
This sucks that i have to keep such a close eye on it. I wanted to get it low enough to see if my gas light comes on and stays on but **** i get to scared riding when it does that lag and Lurch thing.
i will copy and paste what you said and put in a report also
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike is currently at the dealer for the same problem. They don't know how to fix it. They asked us to call headquarters HD helpdesk to push the issue, so we did. They are telling us that there is no issue and that no one has reported anything. They also said something like "that that is how the beast is." I am very disappointed to say the least!
I live in AZ so I am beginning to look at AZ lemon laws and contacting my lawyers to see what my options are. I LOVE the bike and the only thing that I want if for Harley to take ownership of this problem but so far no luck.
I am going to copy your complaint, HowlonWheels, and submit one also. I think if we all get together we may become our own beast... who knows then maybe HD will put their engineers to work on this :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the same issue i have. :(
1st time back at the shop i was told bad spark plug. Got it home all ran good for awhile then bam back to the same issues.
Next time i was told it was bad gas or dirty gas. They filled it up and said all was good. So now i just run it untill i have gone about 100 miles and then fill up and all good. With mine it also does not wanna start when it gets low like that. That is another sign that im close to my mile mark.
This sucks that i have to keep such a close eye on it. I wanted to get it low enough to see if my gas light comes on and stays on but **** i get to scared riding when it does that lag and Lurch thing.
i will copy and paste what you said and put in a report also
thanks
Thank you! i just realized mine has done that as well besides the lag and leap thing, it has not wanted to turn on sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the lag/leap issue. Initially I was really pissed about it, knowing I have a gallon of gas left. It's a real danger, I was nearly rear ended on the way to the gas station when my bike slowed coming off a stop. Dealer doesn't have a fix, and there are only 5 or 6 street 750s and 500s on the road here. I will be submitting a complaint to Harley about this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm having the lag/leap issue. Initially I was really pissed about it, knowing I have a gallon of gas left. It's a real danger, I was nearly rear ended on the way to the gas station when my bike slowed coming off a stop. Dealer doesn't have a fix, and there are only 5 or 6 street 750s and 500s on the road here. I will be submitting a complaint to Harley about this.
I'd also submit a complaint to safercar.gov as was mentioned above. I just submitted one today and mentioned it on the other thread about this issue. Somehow I had missed this thread before. I however would describe your personal experience rather than just copy and pasting a reply as they might take it less serious. My local service manager spoke to me and he is going to be calling Harley on Monday to see what they say as I'm the first one that has had the complaint. It's a real bummer to hear so many having this problem. Aside from that I really enjoy my bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lag / leap

Have the lag / leap issue when low on fuel. Will h-d ever get off their ass and address?
SUBMITTED COMPLAINT TO SAFECAR.GOV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the lag/leap issue. Mine happens at 90 miles on the trip meter. Tank fills with 2.6 gallons. I also submitted on SafeCar.gov. Has anyone had a dealer actually get any traction with Harley on the issue. There has to be a recall in the works right?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's no recall at this time, however the NHSTA has opened an investigation. Harley, like most manufacturers, will not institute what will be a costly and time consuming recall unless they are directed to by the government. Now it's just a waiting game until the NHSTA comes back with their findings.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts