Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I wanted to tell you about my experience with the headlight, hoping this will be useful also for others.

A few months ago, trying to improve night visibility, I changed the original light with a Chinese compact LED (1_compact.jpg) one similar to the Daylight HD.

Installing it was easy but I found the result very disappointing…
Light was centered on a few spots only and was certainly lower than the producer had declared. (picture 2_compact_LOW.jpg && 3_compact_HI.jpg)

So I set up the old incandescent Osram light that had a better visibility compared to this new one.

However, I still loved a LED light...

So I changed strategy: I decided to do not replace the entire headlight but only the bulb with a LED one. I looked up online what the best solution for more lumen and compactness could be and finally bought two bulbs (they are sold together) for about 20 dollars.

The bulb wouldn't have needed any modifications to get in but in my opinion it was rubbing a bit too much on the cables, so I prefered cutting (anyway I had two bulbs..) the heatsink a bit as you can see in this picture Main Bulb.jpg

The result was great and according to me way better than the original and the compact Led one. (4_BulbLED_Hi.jpg && 5_BulbLED_LOW.jpg)

Electric absorptions are more than halved:

stock bulb LOW = 3.5 A – HI =4.7 A
LED Bulb LOW = 1.5 A – HI = 1.54 A

Great, so I decided to change also the position light (Position_a.jpg)
Position stock bulb = 0.39 A
Led position bulb = 0.19 A (and really more Lumen)

All these pictures are taken with the same shutter speeds and diaphragms.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice pics, I wonder if the 'weaker' one would have benefitted from a headlight alignment, both beams look low, but the second bulb is a lot nicer on high.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rob, I tried some chinese LEDs but after a few hours they burned out. The only one that worked for me was Osram (2850CW-02B Premium LED Retrofit COOL WHITE 6000K W5W T10 12V 1W) ...still working
Consider that this is 6000 ° K so it is cold light compared to original filament headlight.
If you don't want to see a different color of light, you need W5W T10 filament bulb. Sure you'll find it on web (see picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rob, I tried some chinese LEDs but after a few hours they burned out. The only one that worked for me was Osram (2850CW-02B Premium LED Retrofit COOL WHITE 6000K W5W T10 12V 1W) ...still working
Consider that this is 6000 ° K so it is cold light compared to original filament headlight.
If you don't want to see a different color of light, you need W5W T10 filament bulb. Sure you'll find it on web (see picture)
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts