Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
limit when its on 1-st or 2-nd gear

hello everyone,

recently bought HD Str 500, when running on 1-st and 2-nd gear, it has some kind of limit and you should turn the speed up. from 3-rd gear everything goes well.

was told that it was because the bike was brand new and after 500 miles it'll work fine, but the same problem exists after 600 miles

does anybody know how to handle this issue?

thanks for your help in advance

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
rev limit is 8000rpm be about 60km 1st don't be so hard on it though lol 2nd is round 90km
my bike runs best round 4000rpm change gear... but i find my self once u go past the 5000
yr wasting yr time.. picks up just as fast in 4th 5th 6th with lower revs instead of screaming the ass off it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
1st has a High Ratio. And has a limit of 10 Mph. Should be in your Owners Manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanks for response,

mine does not have tachometer, but 1-st and 2-nd gear needs to be changed very quickly, is there a way to remove that limit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is indicated in owners manual

The First 800 Kilometers (500 Miles)

The sound design, quality materials, and workmanship that are built into your new Harley-Davidson will give you optimum performance.

To allow your engine to break-in in its critical parts, we recommend that you observe the riding rules provided below for the first 500 mi 800 km . Adhering to these rules will promote future durability and performance of the motorcycle.

During the first 50 mi 80 km of riding, keep the engine speed below 5000 rpm in any gear. Do not labor the engine by running or accelerating at very low RPM, or by running at high rpm longer than needed for shifting or passing.

Up to 500 mi 800 km , vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods. Engine speed up to 7000 rpm in any gear is permissible.

Drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle until the engine has warmed up.

Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be worn in by moderate use for the first 100 mi 160 km .

·
Registered
90 Posts
sorry i might of put u wrong i had stage 1 put on bike when i got it. forgot about that.
get a fp3 will fix most things and also run better. and any mods there for after will be easy fix save u money n long run

·
Registered
90 Posts
it will be a setting you have to override if thats the case and nope can't think of any.
still sounds odd to me though.. I've never heard of a bike having a limit for gearing rev yes but its 8000 stock..

·
Registered
231 Posts
rev limit is 8000rpm be about 60km 1st don't be so hard on it though lol 2nd is round 90km
my bike runs best round 4000rpm change gear... but i find my self once u go past the 5000
yr wasting yr time.. picks up just as fast in 4th 5th 6th with lower revs instead of screaming the ass off it.
on the 500cc you are wasting your time past 5k, doesn't have the umph that the little big brother has. Now the 750 (mine is soon to be an 800), I run to redline [email protected] near all the time... And I do wheelies with no problems... Now I did that to prove a point, not to show off and be an idiot on the eway... I did it on a closed course parking lot, just to see if I still had it, and even on a cruiser like ours... Out of the box the 750 kicks and will knock you off if you are not careful...

·
Registered
335 Posts
on the 500cc you are wasting your time past 5k, doesn't have the umph that the little big brother has.
I can't find a dyno chart of a stock Street 500. Unaclocker dyno'd his Street 500, but he's got a pipe and intake and other things on his. Even so, it's the best reference we've got, and interestingly, according to Unaclocker's dyno run on his 500, the torque peak is right at 5000; after 5000 it heads downhill, from 30 at 5000 down to 20ft/lbs at redline. Horsepower does keep climbing to about 7000, then it's pretty flat 'til redline.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-street-general-discussion/18193-dynod-my-street-500-a.html

On the 750 (stock), torque shows almost no loss from 4000 all the way to redline, and horsepower just keeps climbing on a straight path right up to redline. So on the 500, you're gaining HP but losing torque after 5000; on the 750 you're keeping all your torque but gaining HP all the way to redline.
Dyno Files: 2015 Harley-Davidson Street 750 vs. The Competition | Cycle World

1 - 14 of 14 Posts