Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for dealerships to offer loaner bikes when a customer has theirs in for service? I ask because I've had mine in for warranty work twice and it's supposed to go in today for the third. When I bought the bike I was told they could pick up and deliver it for free but when I ask, there's never a driver available so I have to take time off work and have my wife take time off to run me back to work, then we both take time off to go pick it up. They told me they do not offer loaners to anyone.

I've heard some people on another forum say if you're a good customer they will, so maybe it's because I bought a low end bike? I would think that a customer who has had repeated warranty issues would be treated better to retain that customer?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was after explaining it was my only mode of transportation. Not typical from my understanding and paying for the insurance is costly (ran me over $100 for a week). Now figure I had to do that twice in two months. That was a payment and a half I'd much rather have spent it on.

·
Registered
766 Posts
under your situation, I would talk directly with the general manager or the owner of that dealership. explain your situation, and wait for the answer.

if they do not even try to work with you , then let us know about it.

also let them know this info will be shared with many other owners of these bikes via this forum and it will been seen worldwide.

then see if they are willing to try to help you out.

let them know, it's their defective product that is taking you and your wife away from making a living having to do their job!

again, if not, then we all should start writing corporate HD.
you can also file a complaint with your states lemon law, and even file a complaint with the federal consumer product protection agency, BBB and any one else you can think of!......contact even news media, bike magazine writers, and also your states attorney generals office!

they can easily be responsible in all this , we will see if they actually care about customers, especially in your situation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
under your situation, I would talk directly with the general manager or the owner of that dealership. explain your situation, and wait for the answer.

if they do not even try to work with you , then let us know about it.

also let them know this info will be shared with many other owners of these bikes via this forum and it will been seen worldwide.

then see if they are willing to try to help you out.

let them know, it's their defective product that is taking you and your wife away from making a living having to do their job!

again, if not, then we all should start writing corporate HD.
you can also file a complaint with your states lemon law, and even file a complaint with the federal consumer product protection agency, BBB and any one else you can think of!......contact even news media, bike magazine writers, and also your states attorney generals office!

they can easily be responsible in all this , we will see if they actually care about customers, especially in your situation.
I dropped the bike off at the dealer this morning after my post. They refuse to offer a loaner, and every time I ask about getting it picked up and dropped of, the driver is busy. I've never talked to the GM of the dealership, maybe I need to try that.

Before I took it in I talked to one of the service guys and he told me to make sure the tank was low so it would act up when they test drove. I just filled it and I was trying to figure out how to siphon the fuel out when it dawned on me. I refuse to drive this in an unsafe state, so I drove it in full and told them I refuse to drive it in that condition, that they can pump the fuel out and make it act up. The Service Manager came out and said he knew what the problem was and a test ride was not needed.

I won't go into all the details here, but there are a few other red flags in my mind in regards to this dealership so I won't be spending another penny there. I'm going to visit another HD dealer who's nearby to see how I feel about them, I might take my business to them in the future.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I dropped the bike off at the dealer this morning after my post. They refuse to offer a loaner, and every time I ask about getting it picked up and dropped of, the driver is busy. I've never talked to the GM of the dealership, maybe I need to try that.

Before I took it in I talked to one of the service guys and he told me to make sure the tank was low so it would act up when they test drove. I just filled it and I was trying to figure out how to siphon the fuel out when it dawned on me. I refuse to drive this in an unsafe state, so I drove it in full and told them I refuse to drive it in that condition, that they can pump the fuel out and make it act up. The Service Manager came out and said he knew what the problem was and a test ride was not needed.

I won't go into all the details here, but there are a few other red flags in my mind in regards to this dealership so I won't be spending another penny there. I'm going to visit another HD dealer who's nearby to see how I feel about them, I might take my business to them in the future.
Or find an Indian dealer ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Or find an Indian dealer
My next bike will not come from this dealer and I'm seriously considering something other than an HD. But that depends on how this recall goes and if it truly takes care of the issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would not get another Harley for the next time I buy a bike. The Street 500 is nice and I enjoy it, but their attitude towards the recall, plus the over the top expense for a bike that is missing a lot of functionality (mirrors, better brakes, etc.) is a bit silly. Like I said, I like my bike, but to have a company tell me to just fill up more often so that I don't crash and possibly be ran over by a car is not exactly in line with my beliefs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
First and last new vehicle purchase with this bike. Only EFI bike I'd possibly buy in the future would be an F4I. I'm not at all concerned if it's Harley or not. The ridiculous service costs would be negligible on a used one since I'd just do it all myself.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have to admit, I've never seen as much drama, problems, uninformed arrogant dealer, safety issues, or anything else with any of the other bikes I've ever owned, and over 50 years that has been a lot!

I really do like my lil Harley a lot.
but knowing what I know now, i'm not real sure i'd even buy a Harley.
my total experience with the Harley brand has not been what I expected. it appears to me that we are at the very bottom of the food chain when it comes to many different issues. it's not enough for them to make $2k above the retail sticker price to pay for all those new dealerships, but seems like we are treated like we are bothering them anytime we try to get anything done.

well, my money is just as green as anyone elses and I can change where I spend it, and that is no longer inside the dealership.

there was several blunders made In the design and manufacture of these bikes. some of the decision makers didn't make some of the best decisions. those of us that jumped in there to get these off the ground has come up with the short end of the stick in several ways.

the newer 2016 models has some upgrades that ours should have had from it's first introduction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with you Rock270. It's just sad that Harley holds so strongly to some of the old schooling thinking. The fact that they are telling people to ride a bike that is not mechanically safe is a bad thought process and makes it hard to want to buy from them again. Might as well buy another bike that is less expensive and has more of the bells and whistles that are standard on other bikes.

With that said though, I will most likely keep the Street but buy another bike eventually down the road that is of another brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it common for dealerships to offer loaner bikes when a customer has theirs in for service? I ask because I've had mine in for warranty work twice and it's supposed to go in today for the third. When I bought the bike I was told they could pick up and deliver it for free but when I ask, there's never a driver available so I have to take time off work and have my wife take time off to run me back to work, then we both take time off to go pick it up. They told me they do not offer loaners to anyone.

I've heard some people on another forum say if you're a good customer they will, so maybe it's because I bought a low end bike? I would think that a customer who has had repeated warranty issues would be treated better to retain that customer?
I agree with you I have been at the Dealer 4 times and it is very expensive driving back and forth. Yesterday I there to pickup some parts. Stopped at the service counter was asking a question about my street glide. The service manager said bring the bike in and they would check it out. There is a problem with the shocks on my street glide there us a shock with a adjuster and the other side is a smaller shocks. The bike leans on the right side and make a hard dip in the road on curves and then wobbles a little bit they keep saying it's okay there's no way that you should have one strong shock on one side and we talk on the other

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I would not get another Harley for the next time I buy a bike. The Street 500 is nice and I enjoy it, but their attitude towards the recall, plus the over the top expense for a bike that is missing a lot of functionality (mirrors, better brakes, etc.) is a bit silly. Like I said, I like my bike, but to have a company tell me to just fill up more often so that I don't crash and possibly be ran over by a car is not exactly in line with my beliefs.
Thats fair enough but something to bear in mind is:-

* All manufacturers cars/bikes/trucks etc make improvements with each updated model.

* Recalls take a bit of organisation (it doesnt happen overnight). HD have addressed the problem & are making an attempt to fix it. Toyota & Honda seem to be companys that people regard as faultless/perfect & yet they have recalls too & theirs are not all sorted in a couple of days either. The advice to fill up more often is just a suggestion on how you can temporarily get around the fault until it is repaired. I have not done it myself but I'd bet if I googled "standard motorcycle mirrors - poor vision" HD would not be the only manufactuer to get a mention.

Food for thought....:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats fair enough but something to bear in mind is:-

* All manufacturers cars/bikes/trucks etc make improvements with each updated model.

* Recalls take a bit of organisation (it doesnt happen overnight). HD have addressed the problem & are making an attempt to fix it. Toyota & Honda seem to be companys that people regard as faultless/perfect & yet they have recalls too & theirs are not all sorted in a couple of days either. The advice to fill up more often is just a suggestion on how you can temporarily get around the fault until it is repaired. I have not done it myself but I'd bet if I googled "standard motorcycle mirrors - poor vision" HD would not be the only manufactuer to get a mention.

Food for thought....:)
Recalls certainly happen and is to be expected with new models. An attitude of not caring and not even attempting to look into the problem is another thing.

Could you imagine if a Honda's breaks didn't work after 50 mph? What would you do if they simply said "Just avoid the freeway and it should be fine." We aren't talking about something small. It is something that ultimately almost caused me to be taken out from behind on a 40 mph busy street. Say what you want but as a company that is all about the experience, they have failed for me. They even recalled the reflector light before they did the pump. So why is that?

As I've stated before, the attitude is why I would probably not go back to Harley. In my experience with the Honda and Toyotas of the world, they might not be the perfect machine, but they are looking to treat the customer right. They understand that the customer will keep coming back if they treat them right. Harley expects people to just come back based off of the brand, which has it's successes. Just don't expect me to pay extra for sub par customer service.

·
Registered
766 Posts
........... I'd bet if I googled "standard motorcycle mirrors - poor vision" HD would not be the only manufactuer to get a mention........:)

after buying dozens of bikes for over 50 yrs of riding I have never owned any bike with mirrors that I could not see behind me....not one!....except this one ....!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My purchased New 2010 Yamaha Majesty threw a Fuel Pump with only 3900 Miles. The dealer I bought it from was GOOD about squeezing me in when I got it there. The SM already knew I was having a Starting Issue. My bike was only down for a few days. It didn't fail completely, Just didn't want to turn on when hot. It was getting ready. Shame the owner passed away on Dec 31 2014. I would have gone back there for another.

Wonder How I will make out when it comes time for Warranty Repairs on the Street??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to vent a little in this thread since it's related.

Got a call around noon yesterday telling me the recall kits were in and I could bring the bike in today right away in the morning at 9:30 am. I asked about pickup or loaners and was shot down again. Now the issue is, my wife is working and cannot meet me there and take me to our car so I can get back to work. I explained to the dealer that I have no way of getting anywhere from there other than a taxi and he said it would take about 4 hrs if I wanted to wait?!?!?! So now I get to take half a day off work to deal with this issue!?!?!? NOT ok with me! I think I'll see if the GM is there and have a sit down with him while I'm wasting 4 hrs.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's why I feel that getting another Harley would be difficult for me to do. A lot of the actions they show is very unfriendly to the customer. It's almost an attitude of "You have a Harley, so just deal with it." They are the ones who are the cause, so why not attempt to work with us? Corporate wants to get new customers but the culture is still in the old ways of thinking, thus making it difficult to retain the new customers. I'll go with a Triumph next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts