Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Street 750 purchased from new in Scotland UK. For the first couple of years I followed recommended service schedule with an annual dealer service.

I am a fair weather rider and here in Scotland the weathers not that fair so my street doesn’t get much mileage so the mileage is still under 2,000 and I’ll be very lucky to do a thousand miles a year in the next couple of years which I don’t think warrants a full dealer service. Going forward I am planning to do an annual oil & filter change and a brake fluid change every 2 years, but wanted to see what others think I should be doing for such a low annual mileage (other than doing more miles - which I will if the weather picks up 😜)

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Most H-D maintenance schedules have a minor service every 5K miles and a major service on the multiples of 10K miles. The minor service routine is mostly an oil change, inspecting various parts for wear, and a few adjustments. The major services are the ones in which they plan on replacing a lot of things like brakes, tires, spark plugs and such.

You can consult your manual for what needs done on the 5K interval and probably do most of it yourself each spring as well as the oil & filter change. I would think the big things to check would be brake pads, clutch lever adjustment, belt tension, any critical fasteners, and top off all fluids. Maybe blow out the air filter if you have an air compressor or tap it on the driveway to dislodge debris if you don't.

Changing the brake fluid every two years seems excessive, but some car manufacturers say to do so. I'm away from my manual and don't know what H-D recommends. I've been taking my 2016 Street 750 to the dealership for all maintenance and I don't think they have changed it. Maybe they did while doing the brake recall last year. I just assumed they plugged the line while changing the caliper and then bled the system and refilled the reservoir afterwards.

Keep an eye on your tires. There should be a date stamp on the sidewall. You can have tires with great tread, but the rubber breaks down with age. I bought a 2007 Sportster in 2018. It had been a real garage queen and still had the factory tires on it! I had always heard to replace tires that are five years old, but the link I put above says to replace them by the end of the sixth year.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
121 Posts
The regular maintenance is pretty straight forward and is mainly inspection of key components. Changing the oil is probably the hardest thing to do at the 1000 and 5000 mile maintenance. It's in the owner's manual. The pages for maintenance look like this and are towards the back of the manual.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a few bikes, some due to my age I rarely use. I have one bike - CBR600R that has done 27 miles in 2 years!

I do not service them at the scheduled intervals.
In my opinion anyone who rides a bike and knows anything at all about them will actually be completing 'items on the service scedule' each time they ride i.e. inspect movement of brake pedals etc. etc.
The only thing I 'maintain' is the battery - my bikes each have a battery tender fitted.
I have always serviced my bikes as I simply do not trust a bike I may potentially be riding at very high speed or in heavy traffic to some grease monkey!
Providing you maintain (oil / grease) springs and moving parts the bike should be fine.
Something I try to do is keep both wheels / tyres OFF the ground or at least keep the weight off them as I have found that if left standing for long periods, especially in hot weather, the tyres get 'flat spots' on them. I also drain the fuel as it has a tendency to 'thicken' if not shaken about. ;)

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Something I try to do is keep both wheels / tyres OFF the ground or at least keep the weight off them as I have found that if left standing for long periods, especially in hot weather, the tyres get 'flat spots' on them.
I thought about mentioning that, but didn't. Even moving the bike every month or so prevents the flat spots. Just move it enough to change the contact patch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts