Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as promised, after I got my bike back from the dealer, I started playing around with it. Today I cut a coil from each side of the rear suspension. I was going to yesterday, but I gave up when it started getting dark.

Today I went through with it. Had to build a spring compressor, which took me all of 10 minutes, and had both sides done within 2 hours. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How does this affect the handling and ride quality? I presume, the suspension is much stiffer now?
As far as I can tell, it's unaffected (the spring rate is hardly changing). I did cut about 3/4 of an inch from the bumpstop to make sure that the travel wasn't affected too much. I rode for about 40 miles yesterday, and my butt is still happy!

This isnt a mod for everyone, but I'm happy to be the guinea pig. I was already planning on slamming the suspension once an aftermarket kit comes out. I'm just not impressed with how long its taking the aftermarket to catch up to this bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It loos cool but I figure that there must be less give in the suspension and you should probably avoid hitting any speed bumps with too much speed. It does look good though so if you haven't been encountering those problems than more power to you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm just not impressed with how long its taking the aftermarket to catch up to this bike.-quote...

I can certainly agree with this statement. Selection of hand grips is very limited.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm just not impressed with how long its taking the aftermarket to catch up to this bike.-quote...

I can certainly agree with this statement. Selection of hand grips is very limited.
Sols750owner if you goggle 7/8" motorcycle grips you will find more options than you could imagine. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sols750owner if you goggle 7/8" motorcycle grips you will find more options than you could imagine. :)

Thanks for those pics of your drag bar, btw... I ordered one a couple nights ago. I've been wanting to, but decided to wait until I saw a pic.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My pleasure. I have a set of Clubman bars if anyone wants to purchase them. I think the cables would need to be changed to make them work. Make me an offer. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably pretty slick!! I've gone almost 200 miles on the springs now - still happy. Since I can powder coat here at the house, I'll likely be pulling the springs back off to make them black though :)

This really makes me not want an aftermarket suspension anymore.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Snapped a pic yesterday next to my ruckus, and realized the seat height is almost the same. Wonder how the cafe solo seat is gonna look. HD emailed me this morning and told me it finally shipped yesterday, should be here on the 3rd.
I think you are going to like to cafe solo seat. I find it way more comfortable than the stock, and it looks good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you are going to like to cafe solo seat. I find it way more comfortable than the stock, and it looks good.
Totally agree on it looking better. Thats the whole reason I bought it - I've never sat on it. The local dealer was kinda iffy on special ordering it for me... they said if I didn't find it comfortable that I was sh*t outta luck. Kinda hard for me to trust in them.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's unaffected (the spring rate is hardly changing). I did cut about 3/4 of an inch from the bumpstop to make sure that the travel wasn't affected too much. I rode for about 40 miles yesterday, and my butt is still happy!

This isnt a mod for everyone, but I'm happy to be the guinea pig. I was already planning on slamming the suspension once an aftermarket kit comes out. I'm just not impressed with how long its taking the aftermarket to catch up to this bike.
That is one after action part I am eagerly looking forward to, shorter suspension and cant understand why it is taking so long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts