Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better extensions or long stem tapered mirrors?
Pros and Cons of both?
Visibility being MOST important, then vibration, looks, et.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought longer mirrors over extensions, mostly for looks but also worried about vibration. They work great

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the longer mirrors have less vibration than the extensions? How has the visibility improved?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't comment on the extensions since I don't have them, but the longer stem mirrors I bought are also about 1 1/2" longer in the actual mirror too. No more problems seeing what is behind me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought the longer mirrors, and installed them. I thought they looked terrible, as they were too high, and detracted from the overall look of the bike. Bought and installed the extenders and I was happy with those. Note that you will have to buy a couple of bolts to go with the extenders, they are not plug and play for the Street models.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the longer mirrors, and installed them. I thought they looked terrible, as they were too high, and detracted from the overall look of the bike. Bought and installed the extenders and I was happy with those.
Did you find the view in the longer mirrors better? If so, how much was sacrificed by going with extensions instead?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also have both. I found that the long stem mirrors did not quite do the trick with the extended reach handlebars. So I bought the extenders as well. The extenders with the original mirrors would probably work as they extend the mirrors about a half inch further than the long stem mirrors do. But because I had both and did not want to keep screwing around with this I just decided to try them. Now I have plenty of adjustment. They do vibrate when the bike does but when I am running smooth so do the mirrors. Not much vibration at idle.

mgg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont like the way the extenders look. I'm happy with the long stem mirrors.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't remember the bolt sizes, sorry. I think the extensions actually gave a slightly better view than the taller mirrors, which looked like the antennas on "My Favorite Martian".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed the longer mirrors, 100% better, no more complaints from me (except that these should have been the factory installed mirrors).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Installed the longer stem mirrors today, and what difference -- much better view. In the right side mirror, I can actually see the left center lane markings behind me and in the left mirror, a view just like I get with my car. Ecstatically, really makes little difference in look of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
yes, I have been on many websites including Harley and talked to our local dealership's parts guys. they couldn't find any info that I was looking for. extenders or thread size.
they'd love to sell me new mirrors but I simply cant justify to pay that much for that.

I don't want to replace the mirrors, just want the stem extenders. however I don't know what size to order, are they 10mm, 3/8" or 5/16" ?

thanks

1 - 20 of 89 Posts