Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think Harley Davidson Manufacturing Company should recall these crappy rearview mirrors as a potential safety issue and issue new ones that actually can be used to see traffic behind us. In my opinion HD is either too cheap, or they are not really concerned about the safety of their customers.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
558 Posts
Things should have changed by now...

Edgar has a point. H-D should have figured out shortly after these bikes hit the road that the mirrors weren't acceptable. I'm interpreting the bar end mirrors on the Street Rod as H-D's admission that the Street mirrors just aren't good enough.

By this year I would have hoped that the long stem mirror was adopted as the stock mirror. It's an off the shelf fix that H-D could have adopted without any additional engineering effort. The long stem moves the mirror out to about even with the ends of the grips but doesn't increase the height of the mirror. The field of vision is improved but still not great. The looks and vibration don't seem to be a problem. I tried these mirrors and found them to be usable, but I wanted to see more.

The Drag Specialties 2" extensions add height to the mirror without moving it out at all. I tried these with the stock mirror and was looking at my shoulder instead of my elbow, so with dipping a shoulder I could see beside and behind me, but it wasn't great. They look a bit odd and vibration is an issue, though. When used with the long stem mirror I get a wonderful view, but vibration is even worse. I've also had some problems keeping the mirrors tight as the wind hitting the back of the mirror has quite a bit of leverage to twist them loose.

I have no experience with the Krator or H-D mirror extensions. I believe they would move the mirrors out a couple of inches on each side, which is really what is needed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have no experience with the Krator or H-D mirror extensions. I believe they would move the mirrors out a couple of inches on each side, which is really what is needed.
They do, and they solve the issue entirely. They are a must-do mod for the Street 750 & 500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Edgar has a point. H-D should have figured out shortly after these bikes hit the road that the mirrors weren't acceptable. I'm interpreting the bar end mirrors on the Street Rod as H-D's admission that the Street mirrors just aren't good enough.

By this year I would have hoped that the long stem mirror was adopted as the stock mirror. It's an off the shelf fix that H-D could have adopted without any additional engineering effort. The long stem moves the mirror out to about even with the ends of the grips but doesn't increase the height of the mirror. The field of vision is improved but still not great. The looks and vibration don't seem to be a problem. I tried these mirrors and found them to be usable, but I wanted to see more.
HD does the same thing with the Iron 883's. The stock mirrors are the same for both bikes. If you read the HD Forum you'll find a lot of owners of the 883's turning the mirrors upside down for visibility, but I can't ride in a reclining/forward control position for that to work. I bought the long-stem mirrors and they moved mine up and out at the perfect position. Make sure you are moving the mirror, too. They are very hard to adjust when new.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
558 Posts
The long stem mirrors are a big improvement. They arecertainly useable. They are enough of an improvement that I have almost lost mydesire for the Krator extensions, but not quite. I've just lost my motivation to do the wrenching that it would take.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I no longer have my street, but I do have a brand new set of Harley davidson long stem mirrors the 2 ea nut tube and the 2 ea mirror mount bushing just like the factory original brand new in original harley packaging that I want to sell for $80.00 free shipping Pm me please if interested.
thagorilla

Attachments

81 - 89 of 89 Posts