Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

61 - 80 of 393 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
@Street500owner2 Thanks again for your help. I was able to get the mirror extensions install this weekend. Wow what a difference. You don't realise how bad the view is until you get it corrected.
I am not sure if you listed the size of bolt needed. I used a chrome button top torx bolt 5/16-24 1" with two chrome lock washers, I picked it up at my local Harley shop. My local Ace did not have any good options.
Looks excellent.

Like others I agree that the stock mirrors suck because you just can't see behind you without a contortionist move. The only reason I haven't fixed that on mine yet is because I'm only using the 750 as a foundation for my Stone Free II chopper project and I don't want to waste money on the stock bike. For those that aren't as crazy as me this is a very good option and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I hate the grill so I'm changing it. I've just ordered perforated alumimum to replace it with. I'll still have 40% open area that should be ample for radiatory cooling needs. That is only slightly less than the stock plastic grill.

This should be an easy modification. Simply sand down the melted plastic pins holding the stock plastic grill, drill and locate the new grill, and remelt the pins (that you can do because the alumimum is much thinner than the plastic) to secure the new alumimum grill in place.

Should have the aluminum within a few days and the change made within a week. I'll post pictures when it's complete.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Horn kit added to a Street 500.

If you're anything like me then you also think the horn on the Street is terrible. However, this is very typical of a lot of motorcycles to give as standard equipment such small and unobtrusive horn.

If you look at OldDawg’s mods that he has done to his Street, click on link . http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/street-appearance-modifications/4610-done-now.html
You will see that he has moved his stock equipment horn off to the side of the bike instead of facing the front. Easy mod with very little time involved.

I ordered a big twin chrome horn kit part no. 69112-95E from Harley-Davison. This is the same horn kit they use on their Sportster bikes. Got the chrome instead of the black because you can always paint the horn cover black if you like, but not chrome the cover very easily if you don’t like the black. They were both the same price so why not buy the chrome one.

The main bracket that’s holds the horn had to be bent and drilled with a hole in it to accommodate a S/S SHS, as per photo. This is very easy to do because the bracket is non-harden steel maybe like O-1. Then a 5/16th X 18 S/S screw of 1-1/2" is inserted through the hole to fasten the horn kit onto.

Very loud horn :eek: and makes the old horn sound like a scooter horn. Not really all that complicated to do. If anyone needs more detailed instructions let me know.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Got the chrome instead of the black because you can always paint the horn cover black if you like, but not chrome the cover very easily if you don’t like the black. They were both the same price so why not buy the chrome one.

Paint doesn't stick very well to chrome so I'd make my decision before purchasing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Paint doesn't stick very well to chrome so I'd make my decision before purchasing.
I've been painting over chrome now for the past 50 years, you must prepare the surface before you do any painting that's all. One of those sanding sponges works perfect to go over the surface and rough it up a bit, then you put a primer on it and then the paint. I've done this hundreds of times to antiques, motorcycle and car parts that just weren't worth having to spend the money to have them re-chrome.

On the other hand to get something Chromed, that's if you even have a facility that does Chroming in your town, will cost you a lot more than to just buy Chrome in the first place. Of course with this horn kit you do have an option.

Today I went to the Harley dealer and they were having a motorcycle rodeo and looked at all the bikes in the parking lot of the people that attended the event. I would say more than 95% of all the H-D bikes on the lot had that same horn as I have and all in chrome but not in black. It must be a very popular style with Harley-Davidson owners. Unfortunately, not one bike had that little bitty dinky horn that comes with the street.LOL!

The new horn is considerably louder than the standard equipment horn that came with the street, now that I've replace the old horn, I'm glad I did it.:D

The only thing I can think of that would turn people off from doing this mod is the cost of the horn kit is about $100.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Instructions for adding a H-D Sportster Horn kit.

Instructions for adding a H-D Sportster Horn kit.

1) Remove old horn and disconnect all electric wiring first.

2) Removing the two Hex Lag Screws that hold on the horn bracket.

Loosen both screws at same time but only remove the top one first, then swing bracket away to clear screw hole #1 ,then replace screw #1 and loosen screw #2 and remove to take bracket off of bike.

Then cut bracket as shown and bend. This is easier than you think because the metal is soft and is not difficult to do. Don’t worry if you’re not perfect with the bend because you will be repainting the bracket anyhow and no one will see it.

3) Drill clearance hole for 5/16X18 S/S Hex Lag Screw that will be 1-1/2" or 1-1/4" long, drill hole in center of bracket for a slip fit for the screw.
When buying the Hex screw also buy an Acorn Nut too.

4) The spacer in photo #6 is nothing more than a 7/8th "
chrome socket (already had one on had) that already has a hole in the
center of it and is just the right length of 1-1/4 long.
Place one large Fender Washer at the open end of the
7/8th socket that’s supplied with the horn kit.
Note: Socket(s) also comes in black at your local hardware store.

5) The photo shows the 5/16 x 18 S/S Hex Lag Screw
in place ready to have the 7/8 socket spacer first
(Open end facing out), fender
Washer second, then horn kit last.

Acorn Nut in photo #7 with a tooth-locking washer
supplied with the kit to hold horn on.

6) Photo #8 shows finished horn kit in the upright position.

If you’re intimidated with bending the bracket and drilling the center hole, PM me and I will do it for you. It really is very easy to do.;)

BRKT.jpg

BLT.jpg

IMG_0232 - Version 2.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I've been painting over chrome now for the past 50 years, you must prepare the surface before you do any painting that's all. One of those sanding sponges works perfect to go over the surface and rough it up a bit, then you put a primer on it and then the paint. I've done this hundreds of times to antiques, motorcycle and car parts that just weren't worth having to spend the money to have them re-chrome.

On the other hand to get something Chromed, that's if you even have a facility that does Chroming in your town, will cost you a lot more than to just buy Chrome in the first place. Of course with this horn kit you do have an option.

Today I went to the Harley dealer and they were having a motorcycle rodeo and looked at all the bikes in the parking lot of the people that attended the event. I would say more than 95% of all the H-D bikes on the lot had that same horn as I have and all in chrome but not in black. It must be a very popular style with Harley-Davidson owners. Unfortunately, not one bike had that little bitty dinky horn that comes with the street.LOL!

The new horn is considerably louder than the standard equipment horn that came with the street, now that I've replace the old horn, I'm glad I did it.:D

The only thing I can think of that would turn people off from doing this mod is the cost of the horn kit is about $100.

I don't disagree but a person really should know if they want chrome or don't before they buy because, as you note, if they want to paint a chrome surface they basically have to destroy the chrome by abrading the surface before paint. The prep to repaint an existing painted surface is much easier although neither prep is problematic. Chrome is very hard and abrading properly is very important. If you happen to miss even a small spot the paint will peel.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the horn for my chopper project yet. I might just hide the stock horn so it doesn't distract from the appearance like it does on the stock Street or may go the "Sportster" route (or similiar) with a chrome horn. I certainly don't like how it looks stock as it's a cheap $10 horn that sticks out like a sore thumb.

It might be an option for those sticking with basically stock Street 500/750's to relocate the horn to behind the radiator. A simple "L" bracket going the opposite direction would allow the horn to be mounted inside the frame at the same location as there is room for it there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yes StoneFree, once again you’re right with your analysis onchrome and painting difficulties but it is feasible if done right. I still don’tknow if I like the chrome horn yet, so will see what other mods I make in thefuture on the bike if they will involve some more chrome parts.

Moving the horn is a very good idea, but it still is a dinkybeep-beep sound that’s not going to get the attention of a gnat that’s in front of you let alone a soccer mom on a cell phone. Now the horn becomes more of a safety issue thanjust a cosmetic one. When you do your chopper let us know what you do torectify this problem.

NOTE ON GAS MILEAGE:

I know there is a thread for this but could not find itabout gas mileage on the Street. Just filled up over the weekend and averaged54.88-mpg of gas with a Street 500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much difference does removing the plates make for the exhaust. I bought the screaming eagle pipe but am not impressed with the sound so far. Also how long should you wait to do the stage 1 download? Is this something my dealer has to do?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
How much difference does removing the plates make for the exhaust. I bought the screaming eagle pipe but am not impressed with the sound so far. Also how long should you wait to do the stage 1 download? Is this something my dealer has to do?

Go to page one of this thread and read about the H-D SE Muffler and what a difference it makes taking the diffusion plates/rings off.:eek: A LOT!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·

If you click on the link below it is a how to video on how to paint Chrome and also how to die plastic pieces that go onto your motorcycle.

Installing Fenix CREE Bullet LED Lights on Honda CTX700N | Riding Adventures

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Not happy with the stock Street 500/750 radiator grill, for two reasons, I'm finishing up the development of the grill modification below. The stock grill doesn't prevent rocks large enough to damage the radiator from getting through and I think this aluminum replacement grill is much better looking. Based on open area in the new grill the cooling should not be adversely effected but I'll run tests tomorrow to verify that.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Interesting, well hopefully that's something which they do change for future model years. I just wonder if it's actually on their list or if to them it's actually an issue or not.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Interesting, well hopefully that's something which they do change for future model years. I just wonder if it's actually on their list or if to them it's actually an issue or not.

I doubt it because of the cost of metal v plastic.

I'm also working with the Brassworks on a completely custom radiator for my Stone Free II chopper project. That falls into the show bike bucket of course and is not something a normal rider would be interested in due to cost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Not happy with the stock Street 500/750 radiator grill, for two reasons, I'm finishing up the development of the grill modification below. The stock grill doesn't prevent rocks large enough to damage the radiator from getting through and I think this aluminum replacement grill is much better looking. Based on open area in the new grill the cooling should not be adversely effected but I'll run tests tomorrow to verify that.

That looks very nice I like that.:) thanks stonefree, I think I'm going to do the same thing to mine, looks pretty good.

61 - 80 of 393 Posts