Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of a non-locking cap that will work with a stock 2015 tank.
Mine keeps vapor locking and NOW I can't even get the key to go all the way into the cap's key hole. It only goes in about half way. So there's no way to remove the cap. I could destroy the cap with an angle grinder and/or Dremel after draining the gas and remove it that way. Yeah, I really really HATE this gas cap. I've been riding for like 30 years and never had anyone steal/siphon my bike dry, so I just don't want a locking cap.
Anyone know of an alternative, non-locking cap?
It could be that when I drain the gas it will UN-vapor lock, but I don't know how that will help the key go in the hole farther. I don't even remember if the key is SUPPOSED to go in all the way in order for it to turn. But it's not budging. I don't want to break off the key.
Any non-locking caps available out there?
Thanks in advance....
:)
PS: see I can't really ride the bike, as it and other possessions of mine are sadly tied up in a sigh...bankruptcy.
I do let it run at idle with a big fan pointing at it sometimes to try and keep the fuel system cleanish

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So now, I was able to simply pry or "prise" the cap off gently with a flat screwdriver, Then it was still really difficult to install back on the bike. So I'd still really welcome a non locking cap. Otherwise I think I'll try to modify this one somehow, so that at least the lock is defeated, or those 2 little prongs that go in and out with the turning of the key are skinnier. I sure do miss screw on caps.
thx again

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
781 Posts
I did a quick search for "gas caps motorcycle street 750" and found a link to MotocycleID.com. A few of the items specifically state those gas caps are vented.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows of a non-locking cap that will work with a stock 2015 tank.
Mine keeps vapor locking and NOW I can't even get the key to go all the way into the cap's key hole. It only goes in about half way. So there's no way to remove the cap. I could destroy the cap with an angle grinder and/or Dremel after draining the gas and remove it that way. Yeah, I really really HATE this gas cap. I've been riding for like 30 years and never had anyone steal/siphon my bike dry, so I just don't want a locking cap.
Anyone know of an alternative, non-locking cap?
It could be that when I drain the gas it will UN-vapor lock, but I don't know how that will help the key go in the hole farther. I don't even remember if the key is SUPPOSED to go in all the way in order for it to turn. But it's not budging. I don't want to break off the key.
Any non-locking caps available out there?
Thanks in advance....
:)
PS: see I can't really ride the bike, as it and other possessions of mine are sadly tied up in a sigh...bankruptcy.
I do let it run at idle with a big fan pointing at it sometimes to try and keep the fuel system cleanish
Motorcycle Gas Cap Black Vented Right Hand Oil Fuel Tank Caps for XG750 XG500 Street 750 500 2015-2021 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NJS8PPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XFCHNQBVVMWSJCEZ04PN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts