Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotoUSA first ride on an American Street 750. They also put it on a dyno test and got 52.89 horsepower at 7900 rpm and 39.36 lb-ft of torque at 6400 rpm, however, the torque curve was nearly flat from all the way through the rev range. Overall, they gave the Street a pretty good review. 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 First Ride - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
128 Posts
@Sherri ,thanks for the update :)
Very nice review ,it helps most of us back in India to close there eyes and put there money on this bike :D
I guess even for US production parts are been sourced from all around ,most from ?India ...
Since the reviewer mentioned pre-production model over again n again ,am not sure wether there's gonna be changes in final product ,and the poor wire management is evident if u look close even in this model...
So I wonder what seasoned bikers & wannabe bikers make of this review ,am very curious to know about everybody's input over this review...
small query ,what does torque curve being flat all through the rev range suppose to mean ???
And lastly ,Braking ???
What can be done ,over hauling the brakes is it the only option as ABS is not even an option ???
How much does it cost to change to better braking option ???

Santosh

·
Registered
548 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the share Sherri!

Whats interesting is that according to the Street page on HD.com the 750 is pegged at 44.3 ft-lb @ 4000 RPM, but the moto usa dyno shows max torque coming significantly higher at 6,400 RPM. Although I do suppose because of how flat the torque curve is peak torque begins at 4000 and pulls to 7K before you see it tapering off...

but then CW went and got different dyno reads...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Someone plz clarify my doubts ...
And @mihirchandan ,has given an interesting link of 750 review ,it mentions the difference in parts used like Showa suspension to name one :(
So it's a totally separate build for Indian market & US market that's really disappointing ,anyway hopefully the engine is same on all streets coz am putting my money on this bike only for performance & handling ...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I also noticed that Motorcyclist claims the fork and shocks are made by Showa. I have to wonder, in light of numerous mistakes I have seen in Motorcyclist magazine reviews of BMWs I have owned whether the author simply assumed those components came from Showa based on previous experience with Harleys or he actually looked for and found the name Showa stamped on the parts? Some of the "journalists" at Motocyclist are exceedingly sloppy and uninformed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
And lastly ,Braking ???
What can be done ,over hauling the brakes is it the only option as ABS is not even an option ???
How much does it cost to change to better braking option ???

Santosh
I would start by replacing that rubber brake hose with a braided stainless steel teflon lined brake hose (about $35 from the local hose shop I use) and replacing the stock brake pads with Galfer Green pads.

If you want more front brake I will bet money there will be three or four big brake kits for the bike in very short order from companies like Performance Machine.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would start by replacing that rubber brake hose with a braided stainless steel teflon lined brake hose (about $35 from the local hose shop I use) and replacing the stock brake pads with Galfer Green pads.

If you want more front brake I will bet money there will be three or four big brake kits for the bike in very short order from companies like Performance Machine.
Good to know that, looking forward to seeing that come to life and be on the street

·
Registered
233 Posts
Another first RIDE review of the Street 750.

2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 | FIRST RIDE

THis one is by Motor Cyclist Online. Concerns are being raised about the build quality.
But Overall ita]s a Massive Thumbs Up !!!! Both the reviews Kinda made my day !!!
Really deliteted to read review and ai am little relaxed after reading it.. there is another review at cycle world website and that too is a nice review. peak power in dyno test reportes in cycle world is 58bhp

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Performance on paper looks top notch.

Btw those wondering about different in parts(shocks for example) , keep in mind the US version also costs 1000$ more . If the europe version is same as indian(except for tyres) , I guess that is fair .

·
Registered
548 Posts
I also noticed that Motorcyclist claims the fork and shocks are made by Showa. I have to wonder, in light of numerous mistakes I have seen in Motorcyclist magazine reviews of BMWs I have owned whether the author simply assumed those components came from Showa based on previous experience with Harleys or he actually looked for and found the name Showa stamped on the parts? Some of the "journalists" at Motocyclist are exceedingly sloppy and uninformed.
hey Desert, I believe all the American reviews are being done with pre production american spec Streets. Somewhere here it was confirmed that the Indian forks are Endurance. However I do agree, that until someone actually sees the Showa stamp I'm still a little weary that US could be getting the same Endurance forks..

Oh and as an aside, I did pull this from the Motorcyclist Review..

But does it feel like a Harley? Well, not exactly. The 60-degree configuration, integral counterbalancer, and lack of displacement all conspire to make the engine feel different than a familiar H-D mill. It's busier and less thumpa-thumpa than a Sporty's engine, and only chugs like a Harley right off the bottom. Despite being hard mounted to the frame, vibration is well controlled. Only when you leave the intended urban environs and attempt to stay with LA traffic do you notice buzziness, and only then above 75 mph. If you didn't have a mental framework of what a Harley engine should sound and feel like, the RevX would seem image appropriate. Riders who know that Panhead and Knucklehead aren't some long-lost Stooges will be less impressed. And who cares? The Street is not for them.
Just wondering If any of our friends with test rides under their belt can confirm the vibration and buzzes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
hey Desert, I believe all the American reviews are being done with pre production american spec Streets. Somewhere here it was confirmed that the Indian forks are Endurance. However I do agree, that until someone actually sees the Showa stamp I'm still a little weary that US could be getting the same Endurance forks..

Oh and as an aside, I did pull this from the Motorcyclist Review..

Just wondering If any of our friends with test rides under their belt can confirm the vibration and buzzes?
Correct, the CW article stated the bikes were hand assembled pre-production test articles, not production machinery.

I would not necessarily believe everything you read in Motorcyclist. I have seen them publish information about BMWs that was completely wrong. Most of the people writing for Motorcyclist are paid very little, often have to have a day job to afford writing for Motorcyclist, and they are not motorcycle professionals in the sense of having any kind of formal training. Riding a bike, racing as an amateur and an English degree, a nice turn of phrase and the willingness to work for next to nothing are all that you need. Few if any of these guys ever tear into their bikes and do their own service or build bikes, and most are sport bike riders with little experience or feel for anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts