Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
One thing that got me worried after last ride was the amount of muck and dirt thrown on the radiator. The front fender is quite short and a ride in the rain really messes the radiator. Pic below for reference

So I got front fender extender from Duke 390, cut it to match the fender of Street . It spoils the looks to some extent but does a great job in protecting radiator and keeping it clean

Below is pic after ride in rain.

The very large holes in the stock grill allow all of that muck through to the radiator which was one reason we created the aluminum replacement grill. Not only does it prevent larger size rocks from being tossed into the radiator that can damage the core it also prevents a lot of the road muck from being thrown into the radiator.

It won't block everything but the .125" diameter holes do block a lot of the debris and muck that easily goes right through the stock grill. I'm still working on the packaging but we should be offering this grill for sale in the near future. It is a relatively easy modification that anyone can make.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The very large holes in the stock grill allow all of that muck through to the radiator which was one reason we created the aluminum replacement grill. Not only does it prevent larger size rocks from being tossed into the radiator that can damage the core it also prevents a lot of the road muck from being thrown into the radiator.

It won't block everything but the .125" diameter holes do block a lot of the debris and muck that easily goes right through the stock grill. I'm still working on the packaging but we should be offering this grill for sale in the near future. It is a relatively easy modification that anyone can make.
That should definitely do the job much better than stock grill and it looks nice too.
For Indian conditions, fender extender is something that is really needed. Some pictures below of what one rain can do to metro roads.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
That should definitely do the job much better than stock grill and it looks nice too.
For Indian conditions, fender extender is something that is really needed. Some pictures below of what one rain can do to metro roads.

In those conditions I'd recommend both. The mud will still be thrown up on the grill, and even with my grill some will go through, but it's easier to wipe off the grill than it is to remove the grill and shroud to clean the radiator. In those conditions you'll probably have to still pull the shroud to do a really good job of cleaning the radiator but the smaller holes will probably eliminate the need during riding conditions where a lot of mud clogging up the radiator core could cause over-heating. You really do face the most severe conditions I've seen and I can't think of any perfect solution. The best you can do is limit how much mud is being thrown at the radiator with the mud guard as well as limiting how much of the mud actually makes it through the grill and onto the radiator core. Cleaning is just something you'll have to deal with.

Reactions: meph1st0

·
Registered
34 Posts

The downside to this is that airflow is restricted and especially if there is muck on it, these smaller holes will get blocked, decreasing the efficiency. Best thing is if we had temperature readings using both grills to show the difference and which is better. Till then, I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Stonefree reminds me of Clint Eastwood in the movie where he is flying that Russian Firefox jet. Russian premier asked Clint. "So how do you like our new (toy), No bad but it could use some improvements."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Correct me if I misread you, please. Sounds like because there are forum members from outside of the US, the forum is "stupid".

Many of the members here are from the US. Since the Street models are World Bikes, you're going to run into folks who are outside of your country. Probably going to be something you have to deal with.

If you want to create your own forum that's exclusively made up of people in the USA, by all means, have at it.

Again, please correct me if I misread the intent of your post.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The downside to this is that airflow is restricted and especially if there is muck on it, these smaller holes will get blocked, decreasing the efficiency. Best thing is if we had temperature readings using both grills to show the difference and which is better. Till then, I'm sitting on the fence on this one.
Our grill provides 40% air flow-through to the core which is way more than is actually required.

Yes, the mud build-up on our grill would be greater while the mud build-up on the radiator core with the stock grill would be more. Of course the air pressure when riding is going to blow the mud through the holes. That mud will end up on the radiator core as well but it would be a lot less mud than with the stock grill. Mud that builds up on the grill can be wiped off with your hand or a towel while mud on the core really requires removal of the grill and a good washing. There are no perfect solutions except don't ride on muddy roads and then it doesn't matter.

Our initial purpose related to rocks and appearance while the mud issue was separate and after the fact because it was not a part of our reasons for producing the grill.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Stonefree reminds me of Clint Eastwood in the movie where he is flying that Russian Firefox jet. Russian premier asked Clint. "So how do you like our new (toy), No bad but it could use some improvements."
LOL - Ain't that the truth. Rarely is anything perfect and I'm always looking at possible improvements to everything. We've improved both our horn relocating bracket kits and our grill kits since we first introduced them. Most wouldn't notice the improvements but I do.

Reactions: Rock270

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
This stupid forum makes me feel I live in India. But I don't. Is there US forum for Streets?
We have members from all over the world now including the US, India, Europe and Australia and that's the best part about this forum. To my knowledge there isn't a forum exclusively for the US nor does it really make a lot of sense to limit a forum on the Street H-D's to just one country.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We have members from all over the world now including the US, India, Europe and Australia and that's the best part about this forum. To my knowledge there isn't a forum exclusively for the US nor does it really make a lot of sense to limit a forum on the Street H-D's to just one country.
Thanks StoneFree. I always knew that there was a reason I liked you. Here it is,"You are the voice of reason".

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've found the posts from India, Australia and Europe to be very interesting. I believe it is great to be able to read the threads on the rides people in other countries as well as all parts of the US are doing with their bikes. The Street is going to be a world product manufactured in the US and India.Parts and accessories are being manufacture in several countries. We have threads describing the modifications owners in other countries are doing. I am also impressed with the effort some of the people in India have gone to in order to acquire accessories manufactured in the US. It's a nice change to see an American heritage brand and product sought after outside the US. It is great to have a forum where people of different nationalities can have a discussion of a shared interest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No offence at all, please! I'm not a native English speaker, so I may have worded my thoughts incorrectly, I apologize! I was just wondering why are there so few posts from US? Is Street not selling here as good?
Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
No offence at all, please! I'm not a native English speaker, so I may have worded my thoughts incorrectly, I apologize! I was just wondering why are there so few posts from US? Is Street not selling here as good?
Thanks
Over half of the United States just recently was covered in snow. Its just now warming up enough to go riding again. I'm sure my fellow North Americans will be posting some info soon. I am working on my own little project and its just in the feasibility stage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a little improvement to your solution ...

Our grill provides 40% air flow-through to the core which is way more than is actually required.

Yes, the mud build-up on our grill would be greater while the mud build-up on the radiator core with the stock grill would be more. Of course the air pressure when riding is going to blow the mud through the holes. That mud will end up on the radiator core as well but it would be a lot less mud than with the stock grill. Mud that builds up on the grill can be wiped off with your hand or a towel while mud on the core really requires removal of the grill and a good washing. There are no perfect solutions except don't ride on muddy roads and then it doesn't matter.

Our initial purpose related to rocks and appearance while the mud issue was separate and after the fact because it was not a part of our reasons for producing the grill.
brother ,
if you mount your amazing aluminimum grill on a flexible spring mounts , and see that it wont make any noise, then the sheer vibrations will loosen the mud, dust and derbies off the mesh .. and you are sorted..!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
i'd like to have a grill cover with the HD shield or something else like "screaming eagle",...faintly painted on it.

shoot, I might just take off my cover and see what I can come up with.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

I do like the look of the grill stone free offers also.

I think all that space needs something more eye entertaining, such as logo, medallion, or images of some sort....since its there mind as well have it show something IMO. :)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
brother ,
if you mount your amazing aluminimum grill on a flexible spring mounts , and see that it wont make any noise, then the sheer vibrations will loosen the mud, dust and derbies off the mesh .. and you are sorted..!!!

It's not mesh, it's perforated aluminum and I don't think that idea will actually work or be worth the cost if it did. Keep the ideas coming of course because they're always worth considering.

Dennis

Reactions: Rock270

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I haven't been active in the forum for the past few months apologies for that, work and travel related to work took toll on riding. One year completed with 9k on the odo and just 3k in the last 6 months. Must say it was a trouble free fun filled ownership except for a small leak in the rear cylinder head bolt. This was fixed by HD though they took their own sweet time.

With the anniversary coming up, decided to present a new seat. Felt the stock seat to be too thin with much real estate area. Also sitting position was a bit difficult for me with knees going too high probably above the hips causing back to bend. This caused some tail bone irritation. Took street to the famous motorcycle seat in Bangalore' Rao Seat Cover'. Asked them to widen the seat and increase the height.
First additional foam was added on top existing foam.

After riding it, it was further adjusted, then a final layer of softer foam was added on top

Seat was ready with new seat cover after approximately 3 hours.

Sitting position is now very comfortable. Handlebar position has lowered due to higher seating position which is again better. Went on 600kms ride to a hill station. Butt was really thankful to me.

There are 70 hairpins to the top and around 10 more to enter town.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 55 Posts