Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have put extended foot pegs and the Screamin' Eagle exhaust kit on it. Took, the plate off the muffler, eventually I am going to experiment with removing some of the fiberglass inside the baffles, or I might just make a custom exhaust pipe (I like things loud :)). I am in love with this bike, I have plans to put highway footpegs on the bike ( I plan on reusing the footpegs I replaced to save a few doll hairs :p). I also plan on getting some throw over saddle bags. I will keep you guys posted!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I also removed the fairing as well

I've also removed the fairing and I'm waiting on a Paughco "Custom Headlight" to replace the stock light. Nothing wrong with the stock light but it is designed to work with the fairing so I'm changing it out for a light that is designed to not work with a fairing.

I'm not a fan of 2 into 1 exhausts so I'm developing my own twin drag pipe exhaust system. Hopefully I'll have that done and installed in about a month or so.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've also removed the fairing and I'm waiting on a Paughco "Custom Headlight" to replace the stock light. Nothing wrong with the stock light but it is designed to work with the fairing so I'm changing it out for a light that is designed to not work with a fairing.

I'm not a fan of 2 into 1 exhausts so I'm developing my own twin drag pipe exhaust system. Hopefully I'll have that done and installed in about a month or so.
Hi StoneFee,
Please keep us posted on all that you plan to do along with pictures if possible. I think you are up to something really interesting. I take delivery of my bike in ten days time and your ideas appeal to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wonder how loud he is talking. Loud to the point that when you drive by everyone has to stop talking and wait for you to leave in order to hear something again? I've always been annoyed with those people.

Cool that you are thinking of doing the custom exhaust though. It would be cool if you put up a DIY guide for others to learn from.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hi StoneFee,
Please keep us posted on all that you plan to do along with pictures if possible. I think you are up to something really interesting. I take delivery of my bike in ten days time and your ideas appeal to me.

I have and will continue to post pictures as the bike goes through various changes before finally becoming a show chopper. You can also follow the progress as well as other interesting posts on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone-Free-II-Project

I wonder how loud he is talking. Loud to the point that when you drive by everyone has to stop talking and wait for you to leave in order to hear something again? I've always been annoyed with those people.

Cool that you are thinking of doing the custom exhaust though. It would be cool if you put up a DIY guide for others to learn from.

I'm not a fan of overly loud pipes but do like the sound of a good motor. The stock exhaust is so quiet you can't hear the motor at all IMO.

Building a custom exhaust system isn't hard if you know how (isn't that always the case) but you probably need to be a welder to even begin. I will post photos so that people can see the process but a person really does need to understand tube geometry and have certain fabrication skills.... or learn them in the process which can be a good thing. I always encourage people to DIY because learning is a wonderful thing.

Of note I'm going to have to learn professional quality custom painting including pin-striping that I've never done before on my project. My late brother's 1970 Honda CB750 rigid frame chopper is the inspiration for my Street 750 rigid chopper and he also painted his (he was a very good custom painter) so I'm going to paint mine.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I've got a buddy at the office who's father is a pinstriper actually, such an old school talent thats starting to go away unfortunately...

I figure all I have to do is buy a striping brush and practice, practice, practice. Fortunately I don't have a lot of striping to do and I'll use guides to help me keep my lines straight where needed. Some of the scroll work done by pin-stripers amazes me but I don't plan on doing much of that. I'll be following the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

This whole custom painting thing is new to me and is very challenging but I love a good challenge. It's not that I can't paint but painting at this level is something I've never done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I figure all I have to do is buy a striping brush and practice, practice, practice. Fortunately I don't have a lot of striping to do and I'll use guides to help me keep my lines straight where needed. Some of the scroll work done by pin-stripers amazes me but I don't plan on doing much of that. I'll be following the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

This whole custom painting thing is new to me and is very challenging but I love a good challenge. It's not that I can't paint but painting at this level is something I've never done.
I used to love the work done to Indian Larrys stuff before he passed, the gold leaf stuff was so pretty.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I used to love the work done to Indian Larrys stuff before he passed, the gold leaf stuff was so pretty.

Gold leaf is relatively easy. Have a vinyl stencil cut, apply the stencil, spray on the contact adhesive, remove the stencil, and apply the gold leaf. It's the striping around the gold leaf that takes skill but not all that much because the lines are defined. Free-handed scroll work is the real challenge and I probably won't be able to do that. That is an art-form.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you had loud exhaust systems on your other bikes, and if you have, did cops where you live give you any trouble?
I haven't had any other bikes but a good chunk are loud in my town and the cops don't care. All of my vehicles i have owned (95 f250, 03 f250 6.0, 08 mustang gt, and currently 02 f250 7.3) were straight piped. Never once had a cop question or stop me for exhaust. But i have been stopped for other things ;)

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
So far I have put extended foot pegs and the Screamin' Eagle exhaust kit on it. Took, the plate off the muffler, eventually I am going to experiment with removing some of the fiberglass inside the baffles, or I might just make a custom exhaust pipe (I like things loud :)). I am in love with this bike, I have plans to put highway footpegs on the bike ( I plan on reusing the footpegs I replaced to save a few doll hairs :p). I also plan on getting some throw over saddle bags. I will keep you guys posted!

Have you found highway foot pegs that fit your 750 yet? I am very interested in changing out my footpegs but so far there does not seems to be any that fit or so the dealership tells me.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hello everyone. Loving this forum and all the suggestions. I am very curious about the loudness; does anyone have a video (with sound) of the before and after?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Have you found highway foot pegs that fit your 750 yet? I am very interested in changing out my footpegs but so far there does not seems to be any that fit or so the dealership tells me.

You might want to look at these clamp-on foot pegs.

Kuryakyn Clevis Mount and 1-1/4" Magnum Quick Clamp with ISO Pegs - Motorcycle Superstore

It might require minor trim of the grill shroud for the clamp to fit but it's plastic so that isn't a real problem. I would be more concered about if they stick out far enough and the leg distance to the down tubes of the frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As StoneFree said, you may have to cut some of the plastic radiator shroud, which is not a big issue. They do sell extended highway foot peg mounts, that sick out about 3-4 inches. You could also put the engine gaurds on your bike and mount them to the gaurd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts