Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Of course, let the bike cool off before working on it. Check your tools ahead of time, I had to go to the auto parts store mid install, as I didn't have a deep socket that was required. Be patient taking the existing pipe off. Twist and pull straight back only. Avoid scratches by taping or covering parts of the pipes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanx a lot for help Obtuse ... Though I am riding since long but have nil technical knowledge.
- What is a deep socket ? do I need one?
- Is there any lock mechanism inside that require silencer to be twisted? Which side it needs to be twisted?
- Can I damage something in the process of removing and attaching?
The deep socket was for a bolt underneath the pipe, I think it was 10mm, not sure. My regular sockets were not long enough to get over the bolt. There is nothing tricky about this. Once the bolts are out (you can see them clearly), wiggle and twist a bit while pulling back on the pipe. Take your time, and don't force the pipe off axis, or you will bend stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.