Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
922 Posts
Can you be any more specific? What are you running into?

IIRC, the Streets didn't get start in gear protection or a kickstand switch until 2017 when those features were introduced on the Street Rod. I seem to recall having trying to start mine in gear with the clutch engaged once when I thought I was in neutral, although that might have been on my Sportster.

Something that we've seen a lot of is that it can be difficult to find neutral until these bikes get a few thousand miles on them, and then the neutral light doesn't always come on.

· Super Moderator
922 Posts
On the Street series, no neutral light, no start.
I think it varies by model year and either where the bike was made or where it was sold. Neutral was so hard to find on my 2016 that I got into the habit of starting it in first gear with the clutch pulled in.

• Haha
Reactions: Propnut

· Registered
104 Posts
I actually used to not like the HD street gear shift controls. It was hard to find the neutral. Sometimes you give up. Then I learned before you come to a stop you need to hit neutral( it was a pain for about a month). Then I learned the bike can do neutral after stopping or before starting. I sometimes like the gear shift to neutral. It’s a light feather touch and now I don’t look for the indicator ( just judging using the friction point - clutch). If the led doesn’t light up I will surely be upset. There are so many false neutral. My bike starts in any gear with clutch pressed. Overall H-D engineering will get 5 out of 10 for the neutral shift…

· Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my neutral switch yesterday and the indicator light still isn't working. The only other thing I can recall that I did differently is that I changed the oil recently before that, so I'd suspect if the oil level is slightly lower than normal it might keep the neutral indicator from coming on.

· Super Moderator
922 Posts
As far as finding neutral, that just isn't good until these bikes get a few thousand miles on them. It's extremely fiddly and thus people like me just leaving them in gear on the early models.

As far as the neutral light not coming on, I haven't got a good answer for that. My technique is to just try a few times to get it into neutral by feel. When I think I have it, give it a little gas and ease out the clutch. If the bike wants to move, I haven't got it in neutral and try shifting again. If it doesn't move, I don't care that the light is out.

· Registered
2016 Harley Davidson XG750 Street Rod
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HELLO EVERYONE
O.K. IT'S CALLED NEUTRAL POSITION SAFETY SENSOR THE COAST ON THIS PART IS ONLY $15 MAX THE TROUBLE IS I GO TO LAID LAWS ORDER IT TWO WEEKS THEY TELL ME AFTER 17 DAYS NOTHING I CALL LAID LAWS PARTS DEPT TELL ME IT'S ON BACK ORDER UNTIL JANUARY 7,2022 CAN YOU BELIVE THIS CRAP I'M STILL IN DISBELIEVE THE SEAL WAS BAD WE REPLACED IT BUT MY FRIEND TIGHTEN IT TO MUCH IT CRACKED THE SENSOR INTO PIECES NOW I HAVE A QUESTION CAN I RIDE MY BIKE WITHOUT THE SENSOR ? HELP!!!!!! 🇺🇸🏍

· Super Moderator
922 Posts
No need to shout.

If the bike runs, then yes you can ride it.

Reactions: CISA2016

· Super Moderator
922 Posts
Let me expand a little bit now that I'm on a computer and not my phone. As I understand it, the 2017 and later bikes have to be in neutral to start. That's apparently also true for some earlier bikes sold internationally. Mine is a 2016 xg750 sold in the United States and doesn't seem to have a safety switch, just the green neutral light on the dash.

If the failure mode of the switch is permissive and it allows you to start the engine you should be able to ride the bike. I wouldn't start the bike if I weren't in the saddle with the clutch pulled in, just in case it's in gear. I would also be concerned about the bike stranding me somewhere should it become a bit more broken with wear and vibration.

You may be able to find a used part online. Did you happen to get the part number?

Reactions: Lesblank

· Registered
4 Posts
HELLO EVERYONE
O.K. IT'S CALLED NEUTRAL POSITION SAFETY SENSOR THE COAST ON THIS PART IS ONLY $15 MAX THE TROUBLE IS I GO TO LAID LAWS ORDER IT TWO WEEKS THEY TELL ME AFTER 17 DAYS NOTHING I CALL LAID LAWS PARTS DEPT TELL ME IT'S ON BACK ORDER UNTIL JANUARY 7,2022 CAN YOU BELIVE THIS CRAP I'M STILL IN DISBELIEVE THE SEAL WAS BAD WE REPLACED IT BUT MY FRIEND TIGHTEN IT TO MUCH IT CRACKED THE SENSOR INTO PIECES NOW I HAVE A QUESTION CAN I RIDE MY BIKE WITHOUT THE SENSOR ? HELP!!!!!! 🇺🇸🏍
Let me expand a little bit now that I'm on a computer and not my phone. As I understand it, the 2017 and later bikes have to be in neutral to start. That's apparently also true for some earlier bikes sold internationally. Mine is a 2016 xg750 sold in the United States and doesn't seem to have a safety switch, just the green neutral light on the dash.

If the failure mode of the switch is permissive and it allows you to start the engine you should be able to ride the bike. I wouldn't start the bike if I weren't in the saddle with the clutch pulled in, just in case it's in gear. I would also be concerned about the bike stranding me somewhere should it become a bit more broken with wear and vibration.

You may be able to find a used part online. Did you happen to get the part number?
I see I have the cracked and leaking neutral safety switch syndrome. Found the part on the official HD site for $15, went to order one only to find out it's backordered....for 25 weeks lol! Was unable to find a used one for sale online either....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts