Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to take a moment to "formally" introduce myself to the community.

I have been reading, and contributing to, this forum since I purchased my new bike in Jan 2016; a 2016 Street 750 in Velocity Red. Being a street bike rider my entire life, this was my first HD purchase. Due to several injuries I sustained while serving in the military, to both my dominant hand (right) and right ankle, I was forced to steer clear of the biking community for several years; ultimately being unsure if I could even ride anymore altogether.

Realizing that I was getting older, and that I did want to try to get back into riding again, I decided a more relaxed, cruiser-style bike was appropriate to begin my "motorcycle reintegration program" instead of another street bike. The Street 750 seemed to check all the boxes I was interested in checking during my bike purchase selection process, and was affordable enough that if it didn't end up working out it wouldn't hurt me too much financially.

Having owned and operated the Street 750 now full-time now for about two months, with living in FL and riding almost everyday, everywhere I need to go, I have certainly learned all about the Street's mannerisms and quirks. The Street does many things great, some things good, a few things bad, and even one or two items bad. There have also been several iritating nuances that have identified themselves over the course of daily riding, upgrade customizations, and ownership that have spanned the gamut from "not an issue at all" to "I am ready to trade the bike in."

Over the course of the next week or two I will get into some of the issues I have experienced since January 2016, however, this posting was just as an introduction.

If anyone has any questions with anything I have said or done to the bike please don't hesitate to ask.

PS - I will also be posting soon some images and a listing with all upgrades I have made to the bike. If anyone is interested in seeing what the upgrades look like, please check out my garage!

Safe riding!

Best,

USVet96

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
'Bout time you introduced yourself. LOL

So how's the right hand and ankle doing on the Street?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey friend

'Bout time you introduced yourself. LOL

So how's the right hand and ankle doing on the Street?
Ya know, surprisingly BETTER than I thought it would. I have not had many issues at all with the medical situation. The foot has been solid, and the hand has been a nice surprise as well. The weight of the Street is perfect and the agility of the bike at low/high speed is incredible. Nothing feels lacking due to its nimble size, yet feels solidly robust and "much bigger" a bike than it really is; quite a trick ;)

The ONLY time I seem to have any issue at all, medically speaking, is when I am on a run about 45 minutes or longer, my right hand starts to give some pain because of the nerve damage done. I am experimenting with a "throttle lock" device (very minimally invasive) that may help out but usually I just try now to keep it at about an hour or under when riding.

Oh Stone, I posted pics in "My Garage" of the work I have been doing to the bike; including YOUR PIECE friend. I have not been able to post pictures through posts though, so you will have to grab it from there.

I am working on figuring out the picture posting issue now.

Thanks

Best,

USVet96

·
Registered
187 Posts
nice to hear your story. i have yet to post my official introduction here, but i've rode my V-Rod often enough in Jacksonville to get "familiarized" with crazy FL motorists.

i've stated elsewhere that the 750 isn't that big of a downgrade from a V-Rod, though i have a smaller honda 125 for daily stuff and the 750 is more of a showoff sunday rider or for hitting the tollway (tollways in Philippines only allow 400cc or bigger bikes)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice to hear your story. i have yet to post my official introduction here, but i've rode my V-Rod often enough in Jacksonville to get "familiarized" with crazy FL motorists.

i've stated elsewhere that the 750 isn't that big of a downgrade from a V-Rod, though i have a smaller honda 125 for daily stuff and the 750 is more of a showoff sunday rider or for hitting the tollway (tollways in Philippines only allow 400cc or bigger bikes)
Thanks mate. Yeah I have heard the Street really does stack up when compared to other models.

FL is bad for sure, but many places in the world has nutties on the road ;)

Safe riding.

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in MIAMI.

If any riders are local let me know or PM me.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Usvet96, good to hear from ya. I just got my 750 a little over a week ago and have put 500 miles on it since. Bike has been great, a few shifting problems 1st and 2nd thing. Although since I haven't had a bike in 30 years it could be the learning curve for me.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usvet96, good to hear from ya. I just got my 750 a little over a week ago and have put 500 miles on it since. Bike has been great, a few shifting problems 1st and 2nd thing. Although since I haven't had a bike in 30 years it could be the learning curve for me.
Thats great SWDan. I wouldn't worry too much about the shifting issues as they are probably more to do with the bike than with you. I say that because every now and again when I am riding I have issues that come up that are def not me, well not all of them at least lol, that are just minor nuances between 1st 2nd and 3rd - mainly on the downshift.

Also its ALWAYS tough finding N on this bike lol - don't know why - but I experience that a lot. More so if I try to shift into N when stopped as opposed to shifting to N while slowing down with speed.

I only have about 700 miles on mine (bought it in the middle of Jan) but thats because I only go out 2-3 times a week and thats for local things. If I have to go anywhere I DO take the bike but I just don't normally have to go anywhere lol. Put it this way, even though there is only 700 miles on the bike since I got it, my car has only been refilled with petrol 1 time, and has had the battery DIE 2x from lack of use lol.

Welcome to the site and if you want to ride in MIA sometime just let me know.

Best,

USVet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts