Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Achilles and I am a Greek living in London, UK.
I bought my Street 750 in late January and it's been awesome to be part of the Harley Davidson culture. I have to be honest, I am really glad I found this forum as it helped me with some minor issues I faced the last few months so I decided to join this fantastic community. Looking forward to meeting you all. Thank you and have a great weekend!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We have a number of members from the UK, so good resources if you need some local knowledge.

I see you have already been busy making that bike your own. Looks like mirrors, exhaust and side covers just to name a few modifications.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
478 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Sharp looking bike. Is it a weekend warrior or daily driver. We have a monthly mileage challenge if you are interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone!
@PugslyCat Actually, I bought the bike with these modifications - in fact, I travelled 400km to South West England to inspect it and I fell in love with it! This is my first big motorcycle but for the city it's fantastic.
@Lesblank Currently, I am riding only at the weekends but once everything opens I plan to commute to work as well. Good to know though!
@Propnut Thanks mate, that's great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wait, is a 750 considered a big motorcycle in the UK?
Well, I used to ride a 50cc scooter but I have a European driving licence and to ride the Street 750 you need to have the 3rd and final category (A3 category) which allows for bikes greater than 600cc. A1 is up to 125cc, A2 up to 500cc and A3 anything above 600cc. Not 100% sure how getting a driving licence works in the UK but for now I am allowed to ride with my EU licence but I guess in the future I may need to convert it to English due to Brexit.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
61 Posts
Wow, here in the US if you pass the motorcycle endorsement you can instantly go get the biggest and fastest bike on the market if you want to. My motorcycle endorsement class had us riding these little Suzuki GZ250 POS things. I've seen people get an R1 as a learner bike, wouldn't recommend it but hey, they can get it if they want.

I test rode a Ninja H2 for sale, I won't let myself own that bike because I got to 175MPH way too fast with 2 gears still to go. I think I'll keep myself under a liter unless I decide to go for a touring bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, here in the US if you pass the motorcycle endorsement you can instantly go get the biggest and fastest bike on the market if you want to. My motorcycle endorsement class had us riding these little Suzuki GZ250 POS things. I've seen people get an R1 as a learner bike, wouldn't recommend it but hey, they can get it if they want.

I test rode a Ninja H2 for sale, I won't let myself own that bike because I got to 175MPH way too fast with 2 gears still to go. I think I'll keep myself under a liter unless I decide to go for a touring bike.
Hm.. that's interesting. Yeah, I guess personal safety comes first.

Wow, that's very fast!! I am thinking of upgrading to a Low Rider S in the future, it looks like the Street 750 big brother and the sound coming out of the exhausts is so rad!! But for the moment I get to enjoy the Street 750!

By the way, I have one question if anyone can please help me.
Last Saturday I went for a 20-minute ride and when I stopped I noticed some fluid leaking from the bottom of the bike, the colour was towards dark red I believe. There was no lamp indicator turned on and I rode back home okay. On my way back home some additional fluid was leaking when I stopped at the traffic lights I think and I noticed smoke from the leaking fluid but when I parked it home I did not notice anything else.
I spoke with a Harley representative here in London and he told me it may be the coolant fluid and that it came out of the overflow tube. I checked the coolant tank the next day and it seemed to me almost empty if not completely empty. The mechanic told me I can go by the garage to refill it, would it be okay if I ride to the garage without any coolant to refill it? The garage is about 5 miles from where I live.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
61 Posts
Hm.. that's interesting. Yeah, I guess personal safety comes first.

Wow, that's very fast!! I am thinking of upgrading to a Low Rider S in the future, it looks like the Street 750 big brother and the sound coming out of the exhausts is so rad!! But for the moment I get to enjoy the Street 750!

By the way, I have one question if anyone can please help me.
Last Saturday I went for a 20-minute ride and when I stopped I noticed some fluid leaking from the bottom of the bike, the colour was towards dark red I believe. There was no lamp indicator turned on and I rode back home okay. On my way back home some additional fluid was leaking when I stopped at the traffic lights I think and I noticed smoke from the leaking fluid but when I parked it home I did not notice anything else.
I spoke with a Harley representative here in London and he told me it may be the coolant fluid and that it came out of the overflow tube. I checked the coolant tank the next day and it seemed to me almost empty if not completely empty. The mechanic told me I can go by the garage to refill it, would it be okay if I ride to the garage without any coolant to refill it? The garage is about 5 miles from where I live.
Depends on whats actually low. If the coolant overflow tank is empty thats fine, but if the coolant in the engine is low, that's not fine. Pull the pressurized radiator cap off (while engine is cold) and see if theres coolant inside. If not, then refill with coolant before riding. Not sure if its any different for the street, but my street rod has the cap under the fuel tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on whats actually low. If the coolant overflow tank is empty thats fine, but if the coolant in the engine is low, that's not fine. Pull the pressurized radiator cap off (while engine is cold) and see if theres coolant inside. If not, then refill with coolant before riding. Not sure if its any different for the street, but my street rod has the cap under the fuel tank.
So basically I removed the left side cover and checked the tank shown in the picture I attached. There was no fluid inside the tank definitely none until the cold fill line. I haven't ridden the bike since I noticed it was empty, but I will make sure to refill it.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering Font

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
61 Posts
If it were me I would access the coolant cap/radiator cap and check/top off fluid there as well as the overflow tank pictured.

Basically as coolant heats up it expands, so it overflows into the overflow tank once the pressure inside the cooling system gets high enough to open the radiator cap to let it vent. Then when the engine cools down it uses vacuum of the sealed cooling system to pull some coolant into the system from the overflow tank. If the overflow tank is empty, then it has been pulling in air instead of coolant. Usually if you fill the overflow and heat cycle it it will eventually pull in the coolant it needs, but personally I find it easier to just top it off from the radiator cap so you know the coolant is there.

My words to live by are "don't poke the bear". If you want to play with fire by heating up the engine that you have no idea how low on coolant it is internally and risk damage, go for it. If possible I would just make sure everything is topped off before poking the bear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I completely understand.
Thank you very much for your help, this is very useful to know.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Normally dark red on a garage floor or parking lot is going to be transmission fluid or motorcycle fork oil.

That coolant overflow bottle really should be have something in it, but not above the "cold fill" line, when the engine is cold. If there is nothing in the bottle you have no idea just how low the coolant level is. When the bike is hot the bottle will be filled above that line. Just let it cool down and it should go back down to or below the line. If the tank totally empties, you really should add some more coolant.

Check out the thread Coolant way below fill level on new bike. @Lesblank did some legwork and discovered what the H-D mystery coolant really is. Note that the H-D coolant looks orange, the Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the gold bottle is amber, and what you found on the ground was dark red.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Wait, is a 750 considered a big motorcycle in the UK?
We sometimes forget how spoiled we are here. An awful lot of the world gets around on 50-250cc scooters.

Outside the United States progressive motorcycle licenses are not uncommon, especially in the British Commonwealth countries. Riders there talk about LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) restricted bikes. What you are eligible to ride and more depends upon what level your license is. What license you can get is determined by a variety of parameters such as your age, what license you have now, and how long you have had that license. I did a deep dive into the subject once, and never want to go back there. Suffice to say that these progressive licensing schemes drive the popularity of scooter and motorcycle engines sized as 50cc, 125cc, 250cc, 650cc and 660cc. Some countries also restrict the largest of the LAMS restricted class bikes by power to weight ratios.

If I recall correctly, the 2020 xg500 was only sold to the public in countries where it qualified in the largest displacement LAMS restricted class of bikes.

Most if not all of the countries with LAMS restrictions also require the use of one or more colorful "L plates" and "P plates" at different levels of learning. I'll let somebody that doesn't already have a headache from all this explain those.

Reactions: Propnut

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
61 Posts
Normally dark red on a garage floor or parking lot is going to be transmission fluid or motorcycle fork oil.

That coolant overflow bottle really should be have something in it, but not above the "cold fill" line, when the engine is cold. If there is nothing in the bottle you have no idea just how low the coolant level is. When the bike is hot the bottle will be filled above that line. Just let it cool down and it should go back down to or below the line. If the tank totally empties, you really should add some more coolant.

Check out the thread Coolant way below fill level on new bike. @Lesblank did some legwork and discovered what the H-D mystery coolant really is. Note that the H-D coolant looks orange, the Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in the gold bottle is amber, and what you found on the ground was dark red.
Its funny you mention this as I just grabbed a gallon of it today since the stealership wanted $12 a quart and I got a gallon of the same stuff for $15 at Walgreens.

·
Registered
632 Posts
When I started riding bikes in South Africa (a few moons ago) between 16 -18 years old you were restricted to a max of 50cc, no pillion. From 18 years and upwards there was no limit on capacity, but the biggest bikes around were BSA 500 and Triumph 650 as the Japanese Honda 750 was just about to change the world of motorcycles. Later on in life I noticed that the 16 - 18year olds were now allowed up to 125cc, still no pillion and over 18 years you could ride any available bike and that is how the licence system is here today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hmm, I understand.

So today I went by the HD Garage to refill the coolant and the mechanic filled it just below the cold fill line, so that's sorted.
However, on my way back, I notice some smoke coming from the left-hand side next to the gear lever and stand. The smoke was not constantly coming out, only when I stopped at the traffic lights. I remember I saw that smoke that day I notice that the fluid was leaking. I checked now when I got home the is no leak but I saw a small droplet left on the tube underneath the engine. The motorbike was riding okay I did not notice anything.
Any ideas what that smoke could be? Is it something I need to resolve before riding again?
Thank you everyone for your help

1 - 20 of 40 Posts