Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a used street 750. The previous owner was. Kind enough to give away the screaming eagle exhaust as well. Service was done about 8 months and 500 kms back. But I want to be sure all checks were done. Any suggestions as to what all I should look into?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome.
Just take a look at the items that are checked at service intervals and for any fluid leaks. Other than that you need not worry too much. Did the previous owner change the air filter too? If so was it re-tuned as I note you say he changed the exhaust?

If not it's not a major issue - it's just that without the retune you won't be getting the best performance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would check oil and coolant levels. Tire pressure is also something to check and oftern overlooked. Ride safe and wear your helmet.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
558 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think that @Old git on a Harley and @[email protected] pretty much covered the quick things to inspect. Check your fluid levels, but also check the quality of the fluids.
  • The anti-freeze is probably bright orange with nothing floating in it.
  • The oil on the dipstick should look not that different from fresh oil.
Another thing to check is the ties. Check for tread depth as well as any cracking on the sidewalls. Some of the early Streets have tires that are getting old enough that they should be replaced based on age, even if they have good tread and no obvious checks or cracks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.
Just take a look at the items that are checked at service intervals and for any fluid leaks. Other than that you need not worry too much. Did the previous owner change the air filter too? If so was it re-tuned as I note you say he changed the exhaust?

If not it's not a major issue - it's just that without the retune you won't be getting the best performance.
There was no re-tune done I believe. But I will verify.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. I would check oil and coolant levels. Tire pressure is also something to check and oftern overlooked. Ride safe and wear your helmet.
Had called up the service center where its last service was done and he said he used Motul 15W50 and I will need to change oil at 10K kms i.e 3000 kms later. Havent checked the coolant levels. Will check both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum!

I think that @Old git on a Harley and @[email protected] pretty much covered the quick things to inspect. Check your fluid levels, but also check the quality of the fluids.
  • The anti-freeze is probably bright orange with nothing floating in it.
  • The oil on the dipstick should look not that different from fresh oil.
Another thing to check is the ties. Check for tread depth as well as any cracking on the sidewalls. Some of the early Streets have tires that are getting old enough that they should be replaced based on age, even if they have good tread and no obvious checks or cracks.
Tires are in my mind and I want to change them. Any suggestions here. I am not sure all of what you may name will be available here but i will try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this is 2014 model and I am not very happy with the brakes. Low slung model with not such a good throw of light and bad brakes makes for a very unsafe combo. My thought when I bought this was I can change the brakes and the tires and it will be better stopping bike after that. But what brakes can I change to is not readily available info. Any help in that regard is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
558 Posts
Yea, if it's a 2014 you are probably rolling on 7 year old tires, so yea, might want to change those. In the United States all tires have a department of transportation stamp on the sidewall listing the week of manufacture and year. A DOT stamp of "DOT3114" would be the 31st week (early to mid-August) of 2014. I don't know if it's done differently in India.

Usually a good place to start is looking at the tires that are already on the bike and see if they are still made, but maybe not in this case. The bikes produced in the United States left the factory with Michelin Scorcher II tires. Michelin Comander II tires also come in the right sizes. If I recall correctly, the bikes made in Bawal got Avon tires if they were being exported and melted down trainers if they were being sold domestically. We'll just say there are some old posts complaining about the OEM tires. Do some digging in the forums and check out the parts and accessory shops online to see what's available in Bangalore.

Going to a slightly different sized tire might open up some more possibilities. You can go up a size on the sidewall and/or width and the tires won't rub. Somewhere around here is a link to a chart of what the absolute largest tires are that you can use. I would have to do some digging for it. Again, what's available is going to vary by market.

The U.S. built bikes came with Bybrem brakes, which are by Brembo but Brembo isn't proud enough of them to put their name on. You should be able to find Brembo pads online. Again, IIRC, Bawal used some sort of cottage cheese patty for brake pads, so almost anything but the OEM brakes used in India is a better choice. The brakes were increased in size from 2016 onwards, so double check sizing when following links anybody might provide you.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
329 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Any pictures of your bike to post?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, if it's a 2014 you are probably rolling on 7 year old tires, so yea, might want to change those. In the United States all tires have a department of transportation stamp on the sidewall listing the week of manufacture and year. A DOT stamp of "DOT3114" would be the 31st week (early to mid-August) of 2014. I don't know if it's done differently in India.

Usually a good place to start is looking at the tires that are already on the bike and see if they are still made, but maybe not in this case. The bikes produced in the United States left the factory with Michelin Scorcher II tires. Michelin Comander II tires also come in the right sizes. If I recall correctly, the bikes made in Bawal got Avon tires if they were being exported and melted down trainers if they were being sold domestically. We'll just say there are some old posts complaining about the OEM tires. Do some digging in the forums and check out the parts and accessory shops online to see what's available in Bangalore.

Going to a slightly different sized tire might open up some more possibilities. You can go up a size on the sidewall and/or width and the tires won't rub. Somewhere around here is a link to a chart of what the absolute largest tires are that you can use. I would have to do some digging for it. Again, what's available is going to vary by market.

The U.S. built bikes came with Bybrem brakes, which are by Brembo but Brembo isn't proud enough of them to put their name on. You should be able to find Brembo pads online. Again, IIRC, Bawal used some sort of cottage cheese patty for brake pads, so almost anything but the OEM brakes used in India is a better choice. The brakes were increased in size from 2016 onwards, so double check sizing when following links anybody might provide you.
Thanks for the details I will try the find the pads, tyres to be replaced soon.

·
Super Moderator
558 Posts
If I recall correctly, the bikes made in Bawal got Avon tires if they were being exported and melted down trainers if they were being sold domestically.
I did not recall correctly. I found an article on rediff.com that states:

The Street 750 uses specially developed tyres for India, which are MRFs.​
Made in India bikes which will be exported will use Michelin rubber.​

There are Avon AV83 Streetrunners, Michelin Scorchers (stock tire) and Michelin Commanders available globally. The MRF (Madras Rubber Factory) tires are available in some markets, although their website only lists the rear tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I bought a used street 750. The previous owner was. Kind enough to give away the screaming eagle exhaust as well. Service was done about 8 months and 500 kms back. But I want to be sure all checks were done. Any suggestions as to what all I should look into?
The servicing should be done once in year or 10K KM after first service ..What is current odometer status and are you using for daily use or only for long rides ? If you have hd maintenance planned include free servicing or you can do quick check up by paying 1000 rs to HD service center in Bangalore ? in the meanwhile join HD Fb forum you will get quick reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The servicing should be done once in year or 10K KM after first service ..What is current odometer status and are you using for daily use or only for long rides ? If you have hd maintenance planned include free servicing or you can do quick check up by paying 1000 rs to HD service center in Bangalore ? in the meanwhile join HD Fb forum you will get quick reply
Hi Sarang,

Current odo : 7800 . Last service done at approx 7000kms . Yes I am aware of the service interval. But that is when the specifications are met. So enquired where the previous service was done and they have used Motul 15W50 oil and he suggested to get it changed at 3k which is 10k kms. I do not use the bike the for regular commute, I have another bike for that . I only intend to take it out on weekend rides and am presently in the process of kitting it out for that purpose. So what oil do you use and does it hold well for the 10k kms ? By HD sevice you mean HD tusker at Lavelle road right ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts