Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am a very very new rider, I started mid-July after getting my permit with a 2015 Street 500 - I have since upgraded to a 2017 Street Rod 750 and I absolutely love it. Have put about 2500 miles on the seat since I got my permit and my MSF class is scheduled 2 weeks from now.

I absolutely love riding and have been actively practicing to become a better rider. Look forward to learning from many of you and contributing what I can. Thanks Street Fam!!

Reactions: Triple S

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your Street Rod is a very good bike to upgrade to from your 2015 XG500. I have the same bike as you except in Vivid Black. You'll find the Street Rod is a very capable bike and a lot faster and more fun than the 500 was. I imagine you probably got the owners manual with your bike but if you didn't you should order one from a Harley dealer. There is very important info in them to help you keep on top of service and maintenance and general riding practice. Thanks for sharing the picture of your cool new bike with us! See you soon.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
161 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Nice looking bike. Glad you joined us. Ride often and safe.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You should find the Street Rod to be a very capable bike.
I imagine you probably got the owners manual with your bike but if you didn't you should order one from a Harley dealer. There is very important info in them to help you keep on top of service and maintenance and general riding practice.
You can also view your manual online by typing in the VIN. This came in handy for me since the manuals that came with my bikes have been lost or destroyed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Great link @PugslyCat, Thank you!

I have not yet picked up the Owners Manual - I bought the bike used from a local dealership (not a HD dealer)

All I have done so far is added the aftermarket headlight and am in the process or ordering highway peg crash bars from an Indian company I found on Facebook, they seem to be the only ones that make the style I want.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
What style of crash bars are those?

I'm currently using some knock offs of the H-D bars from TCMT. My only issue with them is that I can't get the highway pegs that are supposed to work with 1.25" bars to reach around. They protected the bike well last year when I pulled into a parking lot that I did not realize was getting fresh gravel. They got bent back just a few degrees and the paint is gone, but the bike itself was unscathed.

Due to a couple of reasons, but mostly sheer impulsiveness, I am replacing them with a pair of crash rods. I first encountered them in post #8 of the Best Engine Guard Kit? thread. They are basically two solid bars that come out of the same lower engine mount location that most engine guards use. They double as highway pegs. They are made in India but I got them used from a member here. They are possibly the very ones that chadwilliam1 posted about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@PugslyCat I think they definitely are, they run $120 shipped to your door from DDHStudio. I am planning on placing my order within the next couple of days.

Here is a link to their actual page showing multiple screenshots of the highway crash "peg rod bar or whatever" setup

DDH Studio XG Highway Crash Pegs

I want them because I think the street rod looks better with that setup rather than the traditional cruiser mustache guard.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Yea, I think you are right that keeping the slim outline of the bike is best for the Street Rod. If I was running with just a swing arm or tail bag this is the way I would really want to go.

Both of my bikes are small baggers, so the mug handle engine guards look right. I mostly want them because I can't get highway pegs on my existing guards without putting them way up towards the top. All I have to do is get in the garage and put them on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I had the cruiser style on my XG500 and loved the look, never put the highway pegs on as I hated riding that bike on the highway in general, felt way too strained (6'3 - 240lb)

Definitely looking forward to getting these pegs, but it really blows my mind that only ONE small company out of India makes this style protection for our bikes.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
There aren't a whole lot of third party parts providers for these bikes because they aren't being built in large numbers. I'm guessing there are fewer than 75,000 globally. India and H-D rider academy were probably the two biggest markets for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's definitely unfortunate, but I did find another aftermarket company that makes some really cool and affordable parts for our bikes. (Not sure if someone on this forum posted it or if I found it on another HD forum)

www.mkdesignsindia.com

I am about to place an order for the seat cowl, fender eliminator, and the risers once they get back to me to confirm stock.

Reactions: Lesblank
1 - 11 of 11 Posts