Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropping a line saying hello. I'm a new rider from NYC who just bought a 750 - I'm excited for its arrival. I have a week or so to choose some upgrades and mods - any advice? I want that Harley rumble by the way, so I'm going to upgrade the pipes - thoughts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just dropping a line saying hello. I'm a new rider from NYC who just bought a 750 - I'm excited for its arrival. I have a week or so to choose some upgrades and mods - any advice? I want that Harley rumble by the way, so I'm going to upgrade the pipes - thoughts?
Welcome! My daughter lives and works in Manhattan, I visit often.
I think you first mod for performance/sound should be pipe, air cleaner, and a tune. I opted for the V&H Competition slip on, Naked VO2 cleaner, and Fuel Pak 3. Awesome combo. The FP3 also adds a tac, gear indication, temps, etc, via Bluetooth to a cell phone display if you so choose. Other mods to consider are mirror extenders, windscreen, luggage rack, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went with the Screaming Eagle Nightstick pipes and tuner before I even brought it home. Great sound and the dealer install added it to my two year warranty.

I second mirror extenders or new mirrors. Would like a windshield but don't like what's available right now (ruins the looks, in my opinion). New foot pegs help. I kept catching my heal on back of brake bracket.

It's a great ride!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Another user here NobullHD has a used Firebrand Loose Cannon slip for sale at $150.00. They retail for about $250 new. I have one and it definitely gives you the big "Harley Sound" that the stock pipe doesn't give. Easy to install for the DIY. I'm thinking about buying it off of him but would rather give others a chance first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obtuse - that's great! Do you ever visit on your bike? If so, how do you like the traffic?

Irie - the screaming eagle nightstick is exactly what I'm thinking. I think it's a slip-on, but I'm not quite sure. Does that make a difference? Also, why the recommendation on the mirror extenders or new mirrors? Are the stock ones too small?

What are we looking at as far as price goes for the FP3?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The stock mirrors sit too far inboard to give you any kind of decent rear visibility, you end up looking directly into your elbows. The extenders move the mirrors further out, giving you a better view behind you. I went with bar-end mirrors to get as much as I could get.

A V&H FP3 will run you around $350, maybe a bit less depending on where you shop (I recommend Revzilla, they're probably the best in the business). I'd say it's worth it as a shop will probably charge you over $200 for a Stage 1 tune, and you'll likely eventually upgrade your filter and maybe switch out your pipe again. The FP3 will allow you to keep modifying and tuning as you go.

While it's currently only officially supporting V&H product additions, you'd be safe selecting their Slip-On and Air-Cleaner options, depending on what you've upgraded on the bike. Flash to the higher airflow map and spend a day or two AutoTuning the bike as directed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Screaming Eagle also $350. I did the air cleaner too (kit was $79, included SE cover). Bought a tuner and did the dyno too. I believe HD recommends AC when you do pipes. Then you need a tune.

Runs like a dream, sounds great! I'm not handy with bikes, so I just bit the bullet and had dealer do it now rather than think about it all summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going with the Screaming Eagle Nightstick slip on, as well as an engine guard.

As far as the mirrors go, I'm going to wait on those and see how my experience is with the stock ones.

Obtuse - yeah, I'm a bit nervous to do so in the City. But, it's where I live and I can't let that deter me from enjoying a bike!

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you want your bike to sound great and you don't mind loud, then consider the Firebrand Loose Cannon. It's in my opinion the best sounding exhaust in the market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! My daughter lives and works in Manhattan, I visit often.
I think you first mod for performance/sound should be pipe, air cleaner, and a tune. I opted for the V&H Competition slip on, Naked VO2 cleaner, and Fuel Pak 3. Awesome combo. The FP3 also adds a tac, gear indication, temps, etc, via Bluetooth to a cell phone display if you so choose. Other mods to consider are mirror extenders, windscreen, luggage rack, etc.
Received the bike and loving it!

What kind go extenders did you get, Obtuse? And what was the extension - 2", 3" etc.?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just installed a TWO BROTHERS (TBR) slip-on @ $350.00. It sounds great.

As for the mirror problem, it's solved by obtaining the HD Tall mirrors (I don't have the part #s handy) @ $35.00 apiece. They look almost identical to the worthless ones that come standard but with one exception, they work!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where did you get the TBR slip-on for $350?

I got mine at my local Harley store (Avalanche here in Denver) using my HOG discount. I believe that I also saw it advertised @ J&P for $350.00. The reason that I bought it where I did was to have a record that it was supplied by an authorized Harley dealer in the unlikely event that any warranty issues might arise.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The extender kit comes from Harley, I don't have the P/N handy. At first, I bought just the extended mirrors, but found them to be way to tall.

·
Registered
309 Posts
CORRECTION:

"Where did you get the TBR slip-on for $350?"

When I made reference to J&P I believe that I was remembering wrong. The price that I remembered was for a V&H that I was also considering at the time. Sorry for any confusion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts