Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 HD 750 Street the other day and have been riding for a few days now! First id like to say I love this bike, I feel like it's perfect for new riders! I had a few questions as a new rider..

1.Will this bike be good for long rides? They pushed it as an Urban bike but I feel like I would love to just cruise for hours. May even go visit other state.

2. What should my mirrors be showing? I feel like i'm having difficult seeing behind me. My left mirror always shows my arm and right mirror I need to drop my arm a bit to see behind me. I have adjusted and just can't find that happy medium. Should I buy those small circle mirrors to put at the top corners of them? I'm just trying to be safe! :D

I'm taking the safety course soon so hopefully they will be able to help me with adjustment if needed, or I may just to upgrade them.

3. Break in period, as a new rider and purchasing a 2016 bike this section of the manual scared the **** out of me. Now I haven't really been "riding it hard" just normal don't recall going over 65-70. I'm at about 52 miles now, just not sure I ever went over 4000RPM. How crucial is this? I obviously don't want to ruin my new engine! :D

Thank you all for your help! I'm pretty excited and am having a blast!! I'm glad I made the purchase!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought mine used after its break-in period, so I wasn't given any advice on that. And I'm not that savvy.

The mirrors are crap. I kept mine because I'm small and they're manageable along with bar end mirrors I've added. You should probably just replace or at the very least get extenders.

I have no trouble highway riding mine. The most I've put into one day is about 400 miles. I had no issues. She loves to cruise about 74 mph and most of my rides are actually on the highway. I plan on taking mine on a multi-state vacation this fall even. I have another bike I commute with, but have just recently begun using this bike for work, and I'm loving that, too. It's great all around.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone else will answer about the breaking-in period for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I purchased a 2016 HD 750 Street the other day and have been riding for a few days now! First id like to say I love this bike, I feel like it's perfect for new riders! I had a few questions as a new rider..

1.Will this bike be good for long rides? They pushed it as an Urban bike but I feel like I would love to just cruise for hours. May even go visit other state.

2. What should my mirrors be showing? I feel like i'm having difficult seeing behind me. My left mirror always shows my arm and right mirror I need to drop my arm a bit to see behind me. I have adjusted and just can't find that happy medium. Should I buy those small circle mirrors to put at the top corners of them? I'm just trying to be safe! :D

I'm taking the safety course soon so hopefully they will be able to help me with adjustment if needed, or I may just to upgrade them.

3. Break in period, as a new rider and purchasing a 2016 bike this section of the manual scared the **** out of me. Now I haven't really been "riding it hard" just normal don't recall going over 65-70. I'm at about 52 miles now, just not sure I ever went over 4000RPM. How crucial is this? I obviously don't want to ruin my new engine! :D

Thank you all for your help! I'm pretty excited and am having a blast!! I'm glad I made the purchase!
Congrats and welcome....

Don't stress over the owner's manual....those are just words to the wise....just don't run the pee out of the bike before breaking it in....some people hop right on their bikes and start revving and racing the piss out of it......I rode it home for my wife when we bought hers with 3 or 4 miles on it....I was doing 75 on the freeway...no big deal.....I didn't red line or rev it....just rode it like a normal person would.....700+ miles later it's still running like new....

The mirrors.....if you can't see behind you....get different mirrors or ask the dealer for help finding mirror extensions at their parts department.....when I rode her bike home...it was like I was riding blind......I could only see my chest and shoulders......not fun....

The Street is a fun bike....no, it's not like a big ass touring bike but you can make it just as comfortable and add mods to it like bags, windshields and stuff like that that all the bigger bikes have.....

The more I ride her bike, the more I'm liking it...it's really nimble and has the pep to get up and go.....definitely a fun bike....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I'm glad to hear i'll be able to make longer trips with my bike! That's something i'm really looking forward to. Most people say "It's not the bike it's the rider." So if I can handle sitting for hours than all will be good! :D I'm just really excited to finally have a motorcycle! So I want to be able to explore all kinds of different options.

I'll be heading down to the dealership this weekend. I need to get my shocks adjusted a bit and i'll get those mirror extensions or new mirrors one.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stressed with the first 500 miles, and only to find out I stressed for no reason. Just vary the speed, not staying too long in one speed or gear and you will be fine. I followed the manual shifting like it said:

@15mph go to 2,
@ 25mph go to 3,
@ 35mph go to 4,
@45mph go to 5,
@55 go to 6.

Then practice down shifting while decelerating:
@50 down to 5
@40 down to 4
@30 down to 3
@20 down to 2
then down to 1

Dont hot rod it, dont accellerate hard until the bike is warm, and if you just ride normal you will be fine. Once I hit 500 I took a road trip from Bryan College Station to Austin and loved every bit of it! Bike is great, has the power to move, and is very nimble. Only I did have a problem keeping up with the Father in Law's vette.

Relax, the bike is awesome. Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMHO....the bike doesn't have to be babied to the extent of causing paranoia that your going to kill it.....maybe the very first year of a bike or vehicle, there are bugs....but this bike has been out over 2 years now.......to put something out on the floor to sell to the public that they have to treat it like an newly born infant is ridiculous....and....doesn't look very good for the company that is the most notable bike manufacturer in the world....they put those words in the manual to cover their ass.....in case some ding dong buys one and blows it up leaving the parking lot or on his way home riding like a douche......

When I threw a leg over it, giggled....the salesman told me I had to be gentle like a lamb with it until after 1000 miles....I looked at him and told him thanks and took off like I normally would.....the bike made it home!!!!!!! LOL!!!! And my wife enjoys riding it almost everyday......don't stress Brackit.....just enjoy it......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I'm glad to hear i'll be able to make longer trips with my bike! That's something i'm really looking forward to. Most people say "It's not the bike it's the rider." So if I can handle sitting for hours than all will be good! :D I'm just really excited to finally have a motorcycle! So I want to be able to explore all kinds of different options.

I'll be heading down to the dealership this weekend. I need to get my shocks adjusted a bit and i'll get those mirror extensions or new mirrors one.

Thanks again!
I should note that I do have a windshield. I take it as a given, but realize a lot of us do not. I would think for any lengthy highway use, you would want one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome replies everyone! Really helpful! I looked for a used bike for quite awhile before settling on a new 2016. They were all in the same price range. I'm happy with my purchase though! I'll look into a Windshield though! But first I want to get those mirrors taken care of. Not being able to see behind me is pretty **** scary. haha

·
Registered
504 Posts
To "fix" the rear view visibility, with the mirrors ADD the HD Mirror Extenders PLUS change the stock mirrors out to the HD Tribal Mirrors. Trust me, it will make a world of difference, and you'll love the look of the Tribal Mirrors.

Lots of other HD Tribal accessories then, that you can add later ..............Tribal Foot Pegs, Tribal Brake Pad, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bike is fine on long range rides,At least for me at 5 foot 8

The mirrors should show the lane next to you and half the lane behind you.Factory ones work great for me.

AT break in I would avoid riding at the same speed for long periods of time such as over 7 miles or more.I would not stress too much about it though.
Happy riding

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I won't go over the break-in (just vary the rpm for the first few hundred miles) or the mirrors (they're side mirrors to show the lanes next to you and not really rear view mirrors to show what's behind you) so let me focus on long distance rides.

All motorcycles will go as far as you want to ride so it's all about how you pack for the ride IMHO. Learn to travel light because you're not a huge cruiser with tons of storage room. Other than that just take breaks when you need them. Typically I use my larger Sportster for long distance trips but even with it I stop every hour to hour-and-a-half for a break.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
First of all welcome to the group. I purchased a 2015 demo that had 60 miles on it, so I just rode off the the dealer and put a few miles. Didn't worry about break in, I'm not a wild or speedy rider. The mirrors suck, went to extended ones. Shifting and finding neutral were problems that went away with more miles on the bike. I changed oil to synthetic at 800 miles, what a difference on shifting and finding neutral. Next change is for a "better" seat for those longer rides.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all welcome to the group. I purchased a 2015 demo that had 60 miles on it, so I just rode off the the dealer and put a few miles. Didn't worry about break in, I'm not a wild or speedy rider. The mirrors suck, went to extended ones. Shifting and finding neutral were problems that went away with more miles on the bike. I changed oil to synthetic at 800 miles, what a difference on shifting and finding neutral. Next change is for a "better" seat for those longer rides.
I agree, Dan. And my "better" seat is coming this week, hopefully before my weekend ride on Sunday. BTW Dan, if you'd like to join the ride (even though we're east, and I'm assuming you're west) you're more than welcome. We'll be headed up US 27 to the Lake for lunch in Clewiston at the Roland Martin's Tiki Bar and Grill. You could head east and ride with, or even meet us there.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Sorry ycbrewster, I'm a snowbird and am currently on my way to MI. I will be back in FL (Homosassa area) the middle of Oct. Thanks for the invite though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry ycbrewster, I'm a snowbird and am currently on my way to MI. I will be back in FL (Homosassa area) the middle of Oct. Thanks for the invite though.
Just putting it out there...it's an open invite. We do an Ocala weekend every November, too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
AT break in I would avoid riding at the same speed for long periods of time such as over 7 miles or more.
When I picked my bike up last September I would have had a 130+ kilometer highway ride home. The dealer advised me NOT to take the highway (the bike only had 9 kilometers on it) and to take the back roads (mainly thru small towns with 50km/hr speeds and countryside speeds of only 80 km/hr).
It was suggested to also stop several times for the bike to cool down and allow things to "seat/settle".
What normally would have been a 1 hour ride home became about 3, with a nice lunch break.
I didn't baby the bike, but I also didn't pull out of the dealership with only 9 kms on the bike and jump right onto the highway at that interchange and ride flat out at 120 km/hr for over an hour. (That's not even suggested in the Owners Manual to do)
Bike now has almost 6,000 kms on it. No problems at all!

·
Registered
504 Posts
SWDan ...............Where in MI. I'm located in SW Ontario, about 3 hours from Detroit, or Sarnia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have another question! First off I went ahead and bought the long stem mirrors! Those are much better! So thank you to those that suggested! My next purchase will hopefully be a Firebrand Grand Prix exhaust! But that's a bit down the road! :p

Anyways back to my question! Is it normal for my bike to just die at a stop sign? I typically try to get to neutral but sometimes i'm just terrible at it and just sit in first holding in on the clutch. I only ask because yesterday it happened twice. Both times I was at a stop sign and it died. I was even revving it up a bit the second time.

My mirrors only came in Chrome sadly, was hoping to keep them black, but I don't think they look that bad!

Attached a picture of them! :D Everyone here has been awesome! Thank you all again! It's awesome to be a part of this community!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts