Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a new rider & recently purchased a 2016 Harley-Davidson street 500 (2 days ago) I’ve rode it a few times & just thought to myself, “how do I know when I need more gas?” So if anyone could help me out with that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the site. What I do is keep an eye out for the little warning light on my headlight. Then you fill up. Remember your mileage. When your low fuel light comes on again fill up. Do the miles/gallon math and always keep that figure in the back of your thought process. Works for me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay great, thank you. About how many miles do you have when the warning light comes on?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Josh!

My 2016 XG500 with FP3, slip on, High flow air, gets 65.55mpg. 3.5 gallon tank = about 227.5 miles.
YMMV.
Weshicatwelo!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most of us will reset the trip odometer at every fill up and watch that. On my xg750 the fuel light will normally come on somewhere between 115 and 125 miles depending on how I've been riding. It will 2.7-2.9 gallons to fill up the tank again. Once the light comes on I figure I have another 20-25 miles to go.

That's not fantastic mileage, but my xg750 is in a high drag configuration and generally carries a fat guy around at interstate highway speeds, or a little faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy

I rezero the trip meter every time I refuel. I get about 120 miles to when the gas light pops on with about 1/2 gallon left. I have never pushed it beyond that. I'm 6'6" 270lbs and ride in the 70-80 mph range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello I am a new rider & recently purchased a 2016 Harley-Davidson street 500 (2 days ago) I’ve rode it a few times & just thought to myself, “how do I know when I need more gas?” So if anyone could help me out with that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
I have a 2016 street 500 I guess at approx 150 - 200 miles for a tank full, or wait until the light goes on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all! So far I’ve put 140 miles since my last fill up & the gas light has not yet came on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use the trip meter to gauge fuel level. Every fill-up reset it to zero. On a full tank and depending on the MPG you're getting, the bike can get a little over 125 miles between fill-ups. Good luck and safe riding Josh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, well i modified my gas tank added a fuel sensor (4" wema) triming to get it to fit by fuel pump cavity, and attaching it to the fuel cap body, solder negative to the fuel pump negative by adding extra wire and add extra wire to sensor output, wich i ran via the gas chimney in the tank, then connected it to a fuel gauge wich is a boat gauge, it gives me a correct reading and also it don't affected neither my pump and my OEM fuel indicator in the odometer

For getting it to stay in place i did a 3d printed base

Sensor

Gauge

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts