Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm so happy to have found this forum. I just bought the street 500 in December of 2014 and I couldn't be happier even though it's been sitting for almost two months. Dang colorado winter. But the Temps have risen a bit so I went to start it up. I'm thinking I've got one of those engines that doesn't like the cold much. It sputtered and ran high for 5 minutes or so. I do have the battery on a tender. The 2nd time was the same. Would someone be able to give me some feedback on EFI cold starts. How it should sound? How long to let it idle? Throttle or no throttle? I wanted the bike to drive to work and back. Since I work late hours I'd like to know it'll start for me when I'm trying to leave my workday behind me. Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all, I'm so happy to have found this forum. I just bought the street 500 in December of 2014 and I couldn't be happier even though it's been sitting for almost two months. Dang colorado winter. But the Temps have risen a bit so I went to start it up. I'm thinking I've got one of those engines that doesn't like the cold much. It sputtered and ran high for 5 minutes or so. I do have the battery on a tender. The 2nd time was the same. Would someone be able to give me some feedback on EFI cold starts. How it should sound? How long to let it idle? Throttle or no throttle? I wanted the bike to drive to work and back. Since I work late hours I'd like to know it'll start for me when I'm trying to leave my workday behind me. Thanks
Is it a starting problem, or a rough running problem? Not sure what you mean by "sputtered and ran high". When I start my bike, it starts instantly. I let it warm up for maybe a minute just to get the oil circulating, then I go ride. Could you describe your issues in a little more detail?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Welcome - Like Obtuse I'd need to know more but the motorcycle should fire right up without any hesitation and should run smoothly. You might have a programming issue with the EFI that the dealer can and will fix under the warranty. Drop in and talk with the service department where you purchased the bike. If it's just EFI programming that's a 5-minute fix by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Still the same gas as December?

Hit the tank with some seafoam treatment.

Be honest that thing needs to get out and run a little. We have sent warm weather to you from Grand Junction, hopefully you can get a little ride time in and fuel up with new gas. These fuels now are not near as stable as they should be.

After that, if it stays rough I would drop by the dealer and have a conversation with the Service department manager (not a service writer) and see what the managers says.

Reactions: maamsof4

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
welcome to the forum. I have mine a a battery tender and I have not had any issues with it starting but I ride mine when ever I have a chance when there is no snow, ice or salt from the snow on the ground. I am looking forward to this weekend in hope to get some serious riding in.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I just picked my bike up from the shop this last Saturday. It was running rough and having starting problems. Turns out the factory missed installing some bearing at the factory. They ended up sending out a new engine.
Someone really stepped on the end of the pecker on that engine!

I cannot imagine in this day and age of QC methods how the heck that could happen. Glad they gave you a new engine instead of trying to fix the screwed up power plant.

Reactions: maamsof4

·
Registered
121 Posts
What dealership and state (if in the USA)
I would like to have that engine.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
It was Cowboy's Alamo City Harley Davidson in San Antonio, the one at 11005 North IH-35, that replaced the engine. You don't think they sent the engine back to the factory?
You can bet your bottom dollar they sent it to the factory. The factory would want to see that engine for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome - Like Obtuse I'd need to know more but the motorcycle should fire right up without any hesitation and should run smoothly. You might have a programming issue with the EFI that the dealer can and will fix under the warranty. Drop in and talk with the service department where you purchased the bike. If it's just EFI programming that's a 5-minute fix by the dealer.
Harley is coming by to pick up the bike tomorrow. its not starting. no riding for me this week :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
I found out that my bike doesn't like to start in cold weather. I've had to turn it over at least a dozen times one day when the temp was below 40. This on a day that temps where finally above freezing. Having 20w-50 weight motor oil might have something to do with the hard cranking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it a starting problem, or a rough running problem? Not sure what you mean by "sputtered and ran high". When I start my bike, it starts instantly. I let it warm up for maybe a minute just to get the oil circulating, then I go ride. Could you describe your issues in a little more detail?
Hi Obtuse. I had called Mile high harley to come get my bike. They said the spark plugs were gunked up. The bike has 160 miles on it. I got the bike with 132 miles on it. Also when I was shown the bike they took the gas cap off but at my house the key didn't work so they're keeping the bike until a new cap comes in 3 to 7 days. Bummer Although it's chilly out I would have loved to take it around the block a few times. :) I'm interested in your thoughts on that. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I found out that my bike doesn't like to start in cold weather. I've had to turn it over at least a dozen times one day when the temp was below 40. This on a day that temps where finally above freezing. Having 20w-50 weight motor oil might have something to do with the hard cranking.
Is it stuggling to turn over or just requiring a lot of cranking? 20w-50 should not be the problem at 40F.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Obtuse. I had called Mile high harley to come get my bike. They said the spark plugs were gunked up. The bike has 160 miles on it. I got the bike with 132 miles on it. Also when I was shown the bike they took the gas cap off but at my house the key didn't work so they're keeping the bike until a new cap comes in 3 to 7 days. Bummer Although it's chilly out I would have loved to take it around the block a few times. :) I'm interested in your thoughts on that. Thank you
Gunked plugs with so few miles? Can't even comment on that one. As far as the gas cap, you have to press down slightly, then turn the key. Same think in reverse. It took a few times putting fuel in my bike to get used to that. By the way, there is a recall on some gas tanks, where the filler cap does not seal tight. I had the tank replaced under warranty quite a while back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts