Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and riding Motorbikes so thought I would introduce myself...

I'm born and bred in New Zealand and cant wait to start riding. I'm 34 nearly 35 and getting married next January. I passed my Learners practical test last Sunday and sitting my theory next Monday, so im very new to riding and looking forward to it.

I am buying my HD Street 500 from the local bike shop within the next 2-3 weeks (Ill post some picks when I get it)

I'm glad I found this forum, I have browsed through the posts and there is a lot of good information and tips on here.

Anyway glad to be apart of this community and looking forward to riding my bike and maybe some modding in the future.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Love to hear your thoughts on the 500 after you get it
As said above welcome to the site….

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there KiwiHOG... I Live in Palmerston North, What about yourself?

Yeah I'm chomping at the bit to get my bike. Im a little nervous about riding it for the first time, It will be the biggest / only bike I have ridden. My heart is set on it though.

Does everyone recommend this bike for a first time / learner rider?

I will post some pics of it when it arrives.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome mate..!
You cant go wrong with the street as a learner bike. its nice and low and weighs next to nothing.
You will get smashed around by the buffeting winds on the highway though.
The great thing about these to me, is that you won't grow out of these, like most 'Starter bikes'.
Plenty of poke, cool looks, and most definitely customizable, enough to keep you happy for a few years, for sure

Looking forward to some pics mate

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey there KiwiHOG... I Live in Palmerston North, What about yourself?

Yeah I'm chomping at the bit to get my bike. Im a little nervous about riding it for the first time, It will be the biggest / only bike I have ridden. My heart is set on it though.

Does everyone recommend this bike for a first time / learner rider?

I will post some pics of it when it arrives.
You will love it....good learner bike, heavy though, so be careful...especially given it's your FIRST bike

Wind is an issue, on he motorways in Auckland you gotta do 100 and I get a head bashing from the wind.

Be careful of what you modify, read the LAMS rules....they are pretty strict on performance mods

Enjoy and ride careful.....

Ray

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to the forum and riding. The Street is a great motorcycle a new rider. The improvements made to the 2016 model will make it even better. I took my first two -three rides on the streets in my neighborhood. This gave me a lot of practice starting and stopping, using the turn signals and making turns and slow-speed maneuvers. As I got more comfortable I started riding on successively higher speed surface roads. The only "neighbor" who paid any attention to my numerous trips was a dog behind an electric fence. The first 10 or so times I went up and down his street, he chased and barked as far as the fence allowed. After that he laid down and just watched. I really envy you, New Zealand is one of the best places on earth to live and ride motorcycles. We spent 3 weeks touring last January and loved your islands.

·
Registered
309 Posts
"learner bike"?

Well, after some 50 years of riding, twelve cruisers (the last an 02 H-D SOFTAIL) I would certainly NOT consider my current 750 STREET a "learner bike", exclusively. Rather, I would characterize it as more of an all purpose, mid-size cruiser, suitable for a beginner. Back in the 60s, 750 cc was considered a 'big bike' and I dare say they lacked the power found in today's STREET. That's just my opinion and I stand-by it.

Welcome new riders, all!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fair call - I think the learner tag is often used in the wrong context

I'm 15 years off the road and "relearning" on my Street 500 - if I'd had that when I was a "learner" I would have been one happy rider

All good

Ray

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Welcome to the forum and riding. The Street is a great motorcycle a new rider. The improvements made to the 2016 model will make it even better. I took my first two -three rides on the streets in my neighborhood. This gave me a lot of practice starting and stopping, using the turn signals and making turns and slow-speed maneuvers. As I got more comfortable I started riding on successively higher speed surface roads. The only "neighbor" who paid any attention to my numerous trips was a dog behind an electric fence. The first 10 or so times I went up and down his street, he chased and barked as far as the fence allowed. After that he laid down and just watched. I really envy you, New Zealand is one of the best places on earth to live and ride motorcycles. We spent 3 weeks touring last January and loved your islands.
Any chance on you telling us what is new for 12016?

·
Registered
203 Posts
"learner bike"?

Well, after some 50 years of riding, twelve cruisers (the last an 02 H-D SOFTAIL) I would certainly NOT consider my current 750 STREET a "learner bike", exclusively. Rather, I would characterize it as more of an all purpose, mid-size cruiser, suitable for a beginner. Back in the 60s, 750 cc was considered a 'big bike' and I dare say they lacked the power found in today's STREET. That's just my opinion and I stand-by it.

Welcome new riders, all!
Respectfully,
Looks like you read our replies and not the OP.
He, is the one saying he is new and a learner/keen to learn/read, etc
We are merely agreeing and encouraging him to ride the LAMS harley and keep it for a few years, unlike some, as they are a very practical bike regardless of rider skill.
I, too have many years riding experience, probably had 12 bikes in the last few years(only as I'm an impulsive bugger) not here to measure d%$ks tho.
Merely trying to help a new member out.

Oh and FYI, Harley market them as a Learner Approved Motorcycle, we are not having a go at anyone by calling them a Learner bike, it's what they are called.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Initially I was going to go ahead with a Suzuki intruder or GN250. 2 Reasons why I haven't, I thought that I would grow out of the 250cc pretty fast and wanted something that will last me a few years and have plenty of power. Secondly I have always wanted a HD and I think the Street looks Badass!

I appreciate everyone's input and rest assured I will be careful and take my time with learning to ride as a 500cc seems massive to me at this stage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Zowie Mcgrath,

"Looks like you read our replies and not the OP."

I'm not sure what that means. The purpose of my comment was to emphasize that the STREETs, while "suitable for a beginner", are way more than JUST a "learner" bike and unlike, say the HONDA REBEL, will serve to be a great ride long after the learning stage. In other words I was making a positive, general statement about our bikes and what I said was not directed at anyone or any one particular comment. If that somehow upsets you please accept my apologies.

·
Registered
203 Posts
@Zowie Mcgrath,

"Looks like you read our replies and not the OP."

I'm not sure what that means. The purpose of my comment was to emphasize that the STREETs, while "suitable for a beginner", are way more than JUST a "learner" bike and unlike, say the HONDA REBEL, will serve to be a great ride long after the learning stage. In other words I was making a positive, general statement about our bikes and what I said was not directed at anyone or any one particular comment. If that somehow upsets you please accept my apologies.
Apologies mate, OP means Original Post/er.
And no offense taken.
That's what I love about this place, mature, likeminded people who are passionate about these things..!
love your work, mate

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick Update..

I have ordered my Bike Today. Its currently in Wellington in a crate somewhere. It is getting shipped to Palmerston North early next weeks and will have a new fuel pump fitted (due to the Lag and leap issue) and the Screaming eagle pipe along with a few adjustments in the workshop.

All thats left for me to do now is to go shopping for my riding gear...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts