Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to buy a commute bike.:nerd: Right now I'm considering a HD Street 750 vs Triumph Street twin. I've been riding my Vespa (150) and my pedal bike to/from work for years. I've changed jobs - now, I need something for my commute of 20 miles highway riding (cross winds) followed by 7+ downtown traffic (pot holes) (San Francisco).

What modifications.. do I need to make my ride a good one (assuming I buy a HD Street 750, 2016)?
- brake?
- tallboy/girl seat? I'm 5'11" - I'm a tall girl
- ??

I went to my local HD dealer and sat on the bike.. Not sure what it suppose to feel like and I don't know anyone who rides. I know a lot of guys who will give me advice - but they don't ride! :confused:

Since I'm a girl and I don't know much about bikes.. I assume every dealer is looking at me with dollar signs. When it comes to my pedal bikes, I'm hardly a girl who stand on the side of the road waiting for my prince to save me. I can fix almost anything and I built my pedal bikes from a frame (learned a lot as wrenched on my pedal bikes) (picked out the spokes and rims and had my wheels hand built to my specs). I need time to learn about bikes, but I need to buy something soon to get to work.

I figured you HD - would have some advise for me and I can learn by reading your forum.

Thanks for reading my post
- Sharkbaitgirl

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the XG750 is a better value

Low seat height, low center of gravity, good ground clearance, LOTS of civilized power. Very modern and manageable package! But you MUST test ride anything you are going to take on the highway before you buy! I weigh 180lb and have NO problem with highway speeds. You may need to consider the tallboy seat. (HD offers three diff styles and there is after-market as well)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm as tall as you & the factory seat is OK as is, height wise that is. Brakes seem adequate (2015 model 750). May a more comfortable seat for longer miles. 27 miles seems very doable for the factory seat. Anything longer & you might want to look at an aftermarket seat, or pad. I also put on a windshield, saddlebags, sissy bar/luggage rack so I can take what I need. Another is nice touch is the crash bar with highway pegs. Its nice to stretch out on the long trips. Keep checking back on this forum, these guys have a lot of good ideas. Oh......and welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you - Critter and CorkyF for a quick reply. I have yet to test ride, as I'm afraid of falling in love with the bike.

I'll take a look into all the extra and read the forums to understand what people liked/didn't like.

What questions should I be asking? How do I know if I fit on the bike? Not sure i trust the HD dealer.

Thank you again - Sharkbaitgirl

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you go to the Harley Davidson website, you can sign up for new rider classes. Definitely a must when moving up from a Scooter to a motorcycle. They use the Street as the trainer bike in the class. That's definitely a great way to get to know if you like the bike or not.
As for the brakes, if you're buying a 2016, you're golden. All the reviews that talked about how weak the brakes were, were reviewing the older models. 2016 got improved brakes. Mine are down right touchy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you UnaClocker! .. Good to know in 2016 the brake issue was resolved. Love the idea of signing up for the new rider class since they do the class on a street bike. Great way to get a feel for the bike.

fyi.. it's been awhile since I've been on a motorcycle.. took my motorcycle test on a motorcycle.. but it's been a few years.

Love the ideas and advice.. keep them coming.

Cheers

·
Registered
187 Posts
though my very first powered two wheel ride was a yamaha dirt bike, most of my riding was commuting to school/summer jobs on a 50cc scooter. then i didn't ride for nearly eight years until i took the msf basic rider course and then ride a 1250cc V-Rod for 12100 miles over the next eight years. even today i mostly ride my 125cc Honda Wave for commuting. 750 is for when i need to hit the highway (no bikes under 400cc are allowed on Philippine expressways)

i can definitely say that H-D meant for the Street to be for newer riders. it is far less quirky at parking lot maneuvers that full size V-Rod. but, i managed well with a V-Rod as my first big bike, coming from scooter land after a bike hiatus.

Reactions: sharkbaitgirl

·
Registered
238 Posts
Overall, the 2016's are a solid bike right off the floor....as far as it needing anything....that's all owner specific but there are plenty of mods to customize it and that market and growing. I'd say head down to the dealership and test ride one.

The cons of the bike, IMO, is that Harley did not take the time or make the effort to hide wires or properly route them like they do on their bigger bikes....but that is fixable....

Reactions: sharkbaitgirl

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't speak for the Triumph, but I can say I have driven long and short rides on the stock seat and had not a problem. I am also 5'11". I did however just buy a Tallboy seat off the forum, and I will be taking a trip to Dallas tomorrow. I can let you know the difference. I can say it is a solid piece of machinery and the strength is by far the engine. There has been nothing I needed to do that I could not do on this bike, and mine is a 2015 before the upgraded the brakes, and adjustment of the other things.

One thing I would say is go in knowing msrp, and tell them you won't pay for the shipping/crate/setup fees.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you UnaClocker! .. Good to know in 2016 the brake issue was resolved. Love the idea of signing up for the new rider class since they do the class on a street bike. Great way to get a feel for the bike.

fyi.. it's been awhile since I've been on a motorcycle.. took my motorcycle test on a motorcycle.. but it's been a few years.

Love the ideas and advice.. keep them coming.

Cheers
If you're already endorsed and you buy the Street, the dealer may throw in the class for free (or if you do the class first, perhaps you can negotiate a credit towards your bike purchase.) Like you, I had my endorsement already, as I was riding on a larger scooter (a Yamaha Morphous 250cc). I didn't get the class as part of my purchase, because I bought my bike from the dealer used. However, they did allow me to just take the road portion of the class for half the price.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're already endorsed and you buy the Street, the dealer may throw in the class for free (or if you do the class first, perhaps you can negotiate a credit towards your bike purchase.) Like you, I had my endorsement already, as I was riding on a larger scooter (a Yamaha Morphous 250cc). I didn't get the class as part of my purchase, because I bought my bike from the dealer used. However, they did allow me to just take the road portion of the class for half the price.
Yup....they did that for Mel...reimbursed her for taking the HD safety/riding course......she used the $250.00 to buy chaps...or toward the purchase of them.....I think they were a lot more than $250.00....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Definitely take the riders safety course from HD. You get to ride a 500. Then test ride 750 (grin). I too commute to work 23 miles one way. I have almost 15k miles on my 2015 street 750 that I bought back in July of 2014 and I live just north of Milwaukee. Getting 50mpg is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the wonderful and valuable info - from everyone.

After looking at the new rider course, this looks like the same course I took.

... they did allow me to just take the road portion of the class for half the price.
I really like the idea of taking the road portion, who could pass on the idea of spending the afternoon(s) riding. The closes course to me is about 50+ miles away, which is not a bad drive. :)

I test rode the fourty-eight (way too much for me), but I really like the smooth gears and ride was awesome! Tomorrow I'm testing the street 750.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the wonderful and valuable info - from everyone.

After looking at the new rider course, this looks like the same course I took.

I really like the idea of taking the road portion, who could pass on the idea of spending the afternoon(s) riding. The closes course to me is about 50+ miles away, which is not a bad drive. :)

I test rode the fourty-eight (way too much for me), but I really like the smooth gears and ride was awesome! Tomorrow I'm testing the street 750.

Let us know how the test ride goes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Let us know how the test ride goes!
I test rode the HD Street 750.

HD Street 750 IMHO.. It's an AWESOME bike! I love the agility, gitty-up factor (what ever you call it), shifting and suspension felt good (like the suspension). :D

Questions -
- Clutch didn't engage until about 2-3" from the handle bar. I could release the clutch as fast as I wanted until 2-3" out and as the clutch lever reached my finger tips it would start to engage. My hands are 7.1" and average mans hands are 7.4" (HD dealer who was a guy had same size hands as I do). Can the clutch lever be adjusted? HD dealer implied it can't be and I have to get a bigger, bike such as fourty eight to adjust the lever? Can someone confirm this? Any thoughts? :confused:
FYI: When I rode the fourty eight and/or any other HD I didn't have any issues with the clutch level.

- I really want ABS brakes so I'm thinking of waiting for the HD Street 2017 to see if it has ABS brakes. Per the HD dealer Street 750 timeline of releases he told me it wouldn't be out until late 2017 (I think he's trying to get me to buy now vs latter). When was the HD Street 750 2015 and 2016 released to the public? Did the HD Street 750 2016 just become available recently? Is this true?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The new models are announced in August traditionally.
I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the 2017 announcements. It's been two years so they are due for something and ABS is the logical guess based on the legislation in certain countries.

Worst case scenario, if there are no major changes, you can always pick up a 2016 model that's sitting on the floor for cheap ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
H-D usually releases their next year lineups by the end of August. i know that from waiting in 2007 for the 2008 V-Rods to get ABS option. ABS is worth it, especially for newer/returning riders. i never locked up braking on my V-Rod; while i have locked up the rear tire a few times on my Street750

clutch action can easily be adjusted. my Honda TMX 155 clutch has virtually no friction zone as it engages at full squeeze (it almost behaves like a twist and go scooter except at full stop)

i can agree with the street's suspension. never bottomed out the street except for on a few of the ridiculously tall (7-9 inch) Philippine speed humps. whereas i bottomed out my V-Rod on Manhattan 4 inch potholes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new models are announced in August traditionally.
I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the 2017 announcements. It's been two years so they are due for something and ABS is the logical guess based on the legislation in certain countries.

Worst case scenario, if there are no major changes, you can always pick up a 2016 model that's sitting on the floor for cheap ;)
It's late May so waiting a 3-4 month is very possible. And if they don't make changes, then picking up a 2016 model cheaper would make sense. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
H-D usually releases their next year lineups by the end of August. i know that from waiting in 2007 for the 2008 V-Rods to get ABS option. ABS is worth it, especially for newer/returning riders. i never locked up braking on my V-Rod; while i have locked up the rear tire a few times on my Street750

clutch action can easily be adjusted. my Honda TMX 155 clutch has virtually no friction zone as it engages at full squeeze (it almost behaves like a twist and go scooter except at full stop)

i can agree with the street's suspension. never bottomed out the street except for on a few of the ridiculously tall (7-9 inch) Philippine speed humps. whereas i bottomed out my V-Rod on Manhattan 4 inch potholes.
Thank you for the info - glad to know the clutch can be adjusted. HD dealer wouldn't answer me. I thought it would be, but HD dealer kept telling me this a cheap scaled down HD so not much can be done unless you want to buy something bigger that can be modified.

I was really impressed with the Street 750 and it's at the top of list. And it's worth waiting until Aug to find out if HD will make ABS an option.
:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you for the info - glad to know the clutch can be adjusted. HD dealer wouldn't answer me. I thought it would be, but HD dealer kept telling me this a cheap scaled down HD so not much can be done unless you want to buy something bigger that can be modified.

I was really impressed with the Street 750 and it's at the top of list. And it's worth waiting until Aug to find out if HD will make ABS an option.
:D
Sounds like your dealer ain't very interested in selling streets. Must be a whole lot better commision, not to mention accessory sales, in a bigger bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts