Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just picked up a 2016 Street 750. the bike only had 62 miles on her.

I've put 120 miles on it, and I do not like the way the tires feel on the road. If there is any uneven paving or inconsistency in the road surface the bike seems to dart slightly.

The tires are the original Harley Davidson Michelin tires, and are still in great shape and not dry rotted t all.

In all fairness I`m just outside of Buffalo NY, and I have been riding in a bit colder temperatures. (between 45 and 55 deg) are these just a warmer weather tire or are people finding the OEM tires to be junk?

Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
392 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Glad you joined us. The tires are recommended to be changed every 5 years. The elements start to effect them. Look at the date on yours, probably pushing 6 years old.

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would you recommend for a quality replacement, also why was my posting move to an introduction part of the forum when i was asking a technical question?

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
392 Posts
Here's a pretty good thread that highlight several tire brands. I personally like Micholin.

Moved the thread as you started thread as a new to you bike with a question. Seemed more like an introduction post, plus it was your first post.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
639 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Knied1!

@Lesblank is correct that your tires are probably due to be replaced on age. If it was an early 2016 bike it may have been delivered as early as the August 2015 model year roll out, so the tires could have been made earlier than that. I ran into that with a 2007 Sportster garage queen that I bought. In 2019 I figured out that the tires still looked good, but I checked the code and they were from 2006, so really didn't trust them after that.

Cool temperatures could be playing a part as they will be stiff when cold and become more pliable and sticky as they heat up.

While the stock Michelin Scorcher tires aren't spectacular for either traction or longevity they generally aren't considered horrible. IIRC, the Bawal, India plant used MRF's which weren't considered great on domestic bikes and put Michelin tires on those they shipped out of the country. Some of our international members would have to comment on that.

Some of our members report the Michelin Commander II and the Avon AV83 Streetrunner are both pretty good tires in the correct sizes for our bikes. I don't remember the specific comments, but they have a slightly more aggressive tread than the stock Scorcher II.

I'm running the stock tires, but other members have gone to wider tires or different aspect rations and found other tires that are close enough to work. Just be aware that changing tire sizes will have an impact on how your bike handles.
You might want to punch different brand names into the search tool to find threads talking about different tires our members have used. I know that several members have found some Shinko tires that fit. They are described as sticky but not long lasting. That was OK for that member as he really only planned to ride a few thousand miles per year.

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked my tires.
Front 1414
Rear 4414

Seeing that the tires were manufactured in 2014 I check the bike manufacture date is 10 of 2015.....guess my tires are 7 years old...with a wopping 210 miles on them

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
639 Posts
That happens more than you would think. If you look at used bikes you will see many that got purchased and then basically garaged. Some guys only find out after they bought the bike that they aren't comfortable riding in traffic, it takes more skill than they thought it would, or they really like that air conditioning. Sometimes SWMBO only finds out after they bought the bike. That can get a bike parked really fast.

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I purchased the bike it only had 62 miles on it.
The other 150ish miles were put on by me in the last week

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
55 Posts
Have you checked tire pressure? A lot of times poor handling can be caused by low tire pressure. Also given the date on the tires make them out to be 7 years old, I would definitely get some new rubbers. I just changed mine on my 17 street rod because the traction was horrid, and the tires were 5 years old. Tread was newish as the tires had about 1100 miles total on them, but old rubber. I don't want to deal with a blowout on 2 wheels, a few hundred bucks is worth the piece of mind for your safety.

·
Registered
2016 Street 750
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an appointment to get the tires changes.....unfortunately they are booked to the end of May

1 - 10 of 10 Posts