Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Harley street 500. Got my license. Did the one two step. Put 800 miles on the street and the o rings in the gas lines rotted. Should have it fixed up this week or next. Installed some highway pegs and a two brothers can. My factory muffler was bashing into the wheel nut. There is a hole in it about the size of a nickel.
Taking the bike to Harley tomm to have her fixed up. Going to get all the fluids swapped as well as the bike is 6 years old and only has 2500 miles on it.
I was just curious if I should upgrade the injectors? Perhaps, get some kind of tune. I didn’t really see anything around 500$ or less. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel 800-1000$ is excessive. I can get one for my wrangler for 500$ plug and play.
I feel bigger Injectors should do the trick. If I read correctly I believe the 500 has 35mm injectors. Smaller is bigger right? Just curious on some ideas. Like I said new to the bike world. All input is welcome!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
732 Posts
Nobody else around the various forums I frequent talks much about changing out the injectors, just tuning the existing hardware to enrich the mixture a bit. I somehow doubt that the limiting factor is the maximum flow rate of the injectors, but rather how the bike is tuned.

It might have been this forum or another one I go to that a member asked a mechanic about the need to tune these bikes when changing intake and exhaust. The mechanic had told him that the pre-2017 bikes could adapt to the changes without tuning. Maybe they can adapt enough to satisfy the manufacturer and the EPA, but popular opinion seems to be that even the stock bike shows improved performance and rideability as the air/fuel mixture from the factory is lean for fuel efficiency and limited emissions. .

I went with the Vance & Hines Fuel Pack 3 on my bike in 2019. It used to cost a bit less than it does today, but is still under $500 US at this time. The FP3 has been a go to EFI tuner on these bikes because it's inexpensive and simple to use, although many folks claim the Dynojet Power Vision tuner has more functionality.

Once you have uncorked the exhaust and are tuning the EFI to get more fuel to the engine the other component to getting more power is getting enough air to the engine to be able to efficiently turn the extra fuel into exhaust gasses. A free flowing filter element or swapping out to the entire air cleaner will do that.

Reactions: Lesblank
1 - 2 of 2 Posts