Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not new to motorcycles but I am new to the Harley Davidson and the Street line. I have a couple of questions that I probably already know the answer to but confirmation from a guru would make me feel better.

1. The Clutch - coming from sport bikes(Triumph Speed Four) the clutch on the 750 has a lot a travel before it begins to engage. Is this something I need to learn to live with or can it be adjusted to be a little more progressive?

2. Washing the bike - my last bike I just hosed off with soap and water, blew dry with a blower, shined the exhaust and maybe put a little wax on the tank. I have project bike I'm working on(80 Yamaha XS650) that I attempted to wash the same way and I fried the ignition unit which has made me a little leery of just hosing the bike down.

Other than those 2 questions I love the bike, I've put about 60 miles on it since I picked it up last night.

-Clyde

·
Registered
171 Posts
The clutch travel is just something you will have to get used to. It is possible to adjust it a bit, but it was basically designed like that. The washing part is interesting. You may have noticed that there are lots of exposed wires and electrical components/connectors. I basically covered most of those up with a cable cover. It makes the overall appearance cleaner and it is a bit more protected from dirt and water. Of course you dont want to point your hose and running water on those weak parts. After I got my bike I added a K&N air filter and that is exposed as well - just an area to avoid. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Don't use a Pressure Washer. I use a Makita 18v Cordless Shop Blower to dry my 18 1200 off. Never had a problem. You can use standard Automotive Wax. Mine gets done with Meguiars Cleaner Wax.. Sometimes their Gold Class. Cleaner Wax works on the chrome. I find its quicker.

You Might want to have your Clutch checked for Adjustment just to be safe. I've seen New models on the Sales Floor with loose "Finger Nuts"

·
Registered
94 Posts
just got my bike, before i went into washing, I remove the seat, found the Heart(ecu) is right at the seat. what worries me is there are 2 holes that i can see the tires next to the ECU, which am certain if go thru wet road, surely the water will sip in. I use Gorilla Tape to cover the hole but notice on side (fender i think) there are still prone to water coming in. That I have not figure out how to close it up.

Use Meguiar's polish and follow by Meguiar's ultimate wax for that shine.... than i realized my mistakes as could be too excited. as its a used bike with 12,000 mileage on it. forgot to clay bar it...will clay it in the next 3 months time for a better shine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've used a car wash pressure washer but I have the spray nozzle 3 feet away from the motorcycle when I wash and rinse the bike. But that is me. I have been caught in heavy down pours a couple times since owning my Street for the last 4 years. Never had any issues other that the way the wiring harness was arranged on the bike itself. I live with it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Always keep pressure washer a few feet back on any bike. To much pressure will mess up the radiator fins. After the bike is washed and dry hit it with a light mist of Pig Spit the engine and everything will look great . As for the clutch it is what it is. There is no clutch adjustment . Only the cable is adjusted and that is not a clutch adjustment.
Do not use wax if you have the flat paint !
Ridden mine in the rain a lot even in snow it has not had any issues yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts