Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

NHTSA Letter to HD

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Static07 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Letter to HD (lag/leap)

The email that seems to work is roger.roeszler@harley-davidson.com

Good Morning Mr. Roeszler, 6/4/2015 7:58 A.M. (pst)

I purchased a Harley-Davidson Street 750 on 5/19/2015 new from a dealership, by 5/25/2015 it was put into the service-department for the lag/leap-stall condition that is now under investigation. Today 6/4/2015, the bike is, according to directions from Harley corporate/tech's instructions, repaired. My question for you, since you are now aware of this defect, will this motorcycle be safe to operate? In your opinion, should I pick this bike up from the service department, leave it there until a final fix is designed, or will Harley-Davidson refund all cost associated with the purchase of this bike with a return to the dealer. Ask yourself, would you let your wife ride this bike, your children?

Here is my VIN# 1HD4NBB39******* and my NHTSA ID Number: 10721274. As you can tell if you read the complaint, the vehicle was five (5) days out from the dealer with less than 100 miles on the odometer. The dealer is ********** Harley-Davidson, 3201 ******, ******* *****, CA 91***.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP

Thank-you,
Brian *****
Hannah *******

#10 ·
Awesome news. Now if we can get them to acknowledge the first to second neutral issue. Because quite frankly I'm tired of starting from a stop, revving high and taking off in second. About to take this back to the dealer and take the repo hit on the credit. Doesn't make sense to pay for a partial working bike. Or at best hope it goes from first to second with neutral showing up.

#13 ·
I know what you mean! This has happened to me a lot of times and still happens on occasion but not as much as it used to. I followed some great tips on the following thread:

http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-street-general-discussion/5625-1st-2nd-gear.html

Instead of going to neutral between 1st and 2nd gear almost all the time, it still happens but only one or twice during a long ride that includes a lot of stop and go.

I'm hoping that the 1,000 mile service will help and ready to schedule mine. I reached 1,100 miles over the weekend and really enjoying the bike! I think this issue, along with the lag and leap recall, are the only two things I need fixed. I never tried starting from second gear but I did find the tips from MGG and others on the thread above were extremely helpful.

#11 ·
Today I received a letter from Harley Davidson for a Safety Recall Dated August 21, 2015.

Harley Davidson Recall No. 0167
NHTSA Recall No. 15V-474

Harley Davidson Motor Company Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the fuel pump of certain 2015 Harley-Davidson Street model motorcycles (XG500 and XG750). We are notifying you because our records indicate that you may own one of the affected motorcycles.

What is the Issue?

Your motorcycle may have a poor seal at the fuel pump inlet. This could allow an interruption to the fuel supply under acceleration at low fuel levels, possibly before the low fuel indicator has illuminated. If this condition remains undetected, under acceleration with the fuel level below 0.8 gallons, the motorcycle may briefly hesitate and then restore power abruptly, possibly leading to a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.

I will try to post a pic of the letter another day. But as you can read, Harley is finally doing something about this long overdue fuel issue for the Lag and Leap.

I have over 10,000 miles on my bike now. This might explain why my bike stutters a bit while driving at 25 to 35 miles per hour.

#12 ·
I just got my recall notice today. The problem is real....my bike has been sputtering and stalling when I accellerate when low on fuel. It's really freaky when it happens, as I lose control over my acceleration, especially when it happened during a left turn on a 4 lane road. I'm glad this is getting fixed. Parts should be at dealers in mid Sept. I'll drive with a mostly full tank until then.

#14 · (Edited)
You guys forgot to post the important part of the recall letter......"We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we are initiating this action in the interest of your personal safety and satisfaction with our products."

I read that part and about blew a gasket myself. Are they freaking kidding?!?!
Inconvenience? They mean parts that had to be replaced out of pocket due to their ignoring customer complaints along with dealers knowing the issue yet put no pressure to fix?
They initiating? Really? The feds receiving complaints and forcing them to take action had nothing to do with it? Interest of my personal safety? They cared when forced to care.

Satisfaction with their product? What in the heck, really if HD gave a dang after buyers go into debt, they'd research and listen to the ones who actually ride these sorry excuses.

Its the look of the bike that sells it, but the quality is extremely poor, we choose to deal with it because our credit is on the line, or we love the style or its a simple starter bike to work with.

Sorry I have to vent, forgive me. It just blows my mind.
As for the thousand mile service....I can't seem willing to pay a dealer to change my oil at a ridiculous price. Yea their gonna do other minor checks, just like they care about our concerns.

Signed,
It'll be a cold day in heck before I would even recommend any HD. LONG LIVE TRIUMPH AND INDIAN.

#15 ·
Got my recall notice. And there's a problem. It says until the parts come in to fill no more than every 100 miles. Mine acts up at about 85 to 90 so I can only go 75 safely. Which means I have 2 gallons out of 3.5 of useful fuel? I'm not happy that I'm further inconvenienced while they get the parts out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.