Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum–and have only recently returned to motorcycles after a 22 year hiatus (kids, career, life, and stuff). Bought a 2017 XG 750 about three weeks ago, and am loving everything associated with having a motorcycle. Sure, I also have trouble finding neutral, the bike stalled once, and I have to purposely move my arm to make the mirrors "work", but all of these things disappear on that long, curvy, stoplight-free road to Orchard Beach when it's just me and the bike. I am so glad to be back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the forum , sounds a lot like me only I was off the bikes longer than that . Since May I have logged 5000 miles on my XG 750 & have enjoyed it more than I expected I would ! A set of Krator mirror extenders from Amazon will fix the mirror problems . Always when parking the bike put it into first gear & roll it forward so the bike can not roll off the side stand . Easy way to find neutral is reach down with left hand bring the shift lever up one . As far as shifting going down the road you may need to adjust your shift linkage , my shift lever was to low when I got the bike .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome back! After college I also went away from having a bike for the same reasons you cited, though I missed having a bike for 3 decades or so, until I got my 750 back in April. 1600 miles later, I love every minute riding my bike at 6:30 am when I have the road all to myself and before the summer Florida sun makes it a less pleasant experience. I made some changes like installing longer mirrors, a Firebrand Loose Cannon exhaust, a polycarbonate windscreen and a Wisamic LED headlight. Now I have the perfect bike, and I can't seem to get off of it.

Don't worry, neutral gets easier to find over time, especially after you break it in and change to synthetic oil. Happy riding!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tips, all. Thanks. Are the Krator mirror extenders relatively straightforward/easy to install?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Petcha2!

The mirrors are probably one of the most common complaints on these bikes. Right now I'm using the long stem mirrors from H-D. They are OK, but not as good as with the extenders. They move the outboard edge of the mirrors an inch and a half or more towards the bar ends without raising them up at all. Probably using them with extenders would be the best option.

Gaijin has a good thread on installing the Krator extensions: Solved! Mirrors perfected. I've got these, but haven't installed them. That's probably a project for an upcoming evening.

Initially I used some Drag Specialties extenders that raised the mirrors a couple of inches, but didn't move them outboard at all. This helped, especially in conjunction with the long stem mirrors. Both of them broke after a few months, so I'm not going to recommend them.

There are a lot of postings about neutral being hard to find, especially on brand new bikes. I think I've would up in neutral on more missed shifts than intentional attempts to find it. It doesn't help that the neutral light sometimes has a delay before it comes on and sometimes does not come on at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts