Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does it bother anyone else that Harley doesn't have a center stand for keeping the bike level for stuff like checking the oil or cleaning the rear suspension and tires. I'm coming from the Kawasaki world and every one I've ever had has had one. Harley is charging an additional $200 for a center stand for the Street. As a former Z1 and KZ Mechanic, the center stand was a big help for on the spot fixes and maintenance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never owned a bike with a center stand!

I guess I'm just always buying the wrong bikes.

Reactions: StoneFree

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Does it bother anyone else that Harley doesn't have a center stand for keeping the bike level for stuff like checking the oil or cleaning the rear suspension and tires. I'm coming from the Kawasaki world and every one I've ever had has had one. Harley is charging an additional $200 for a center stand for the Street. As a former Z1 and KZ Mechanic, the center stand was a big help for on the spot fixes and maintenance.

I can tell you've never raced motorcycles because they don't have any stands at all. We use a center stand like this one although we generally just make our own from spare tubing we have laying around.

Motorcycle Cruiser Adjustable Center Stand - FREE SHIPPING

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Majesty had a Center stand (and a Side Stand). Made it easier to store in the garage. Held it closer to the wall and gave more room to walk past it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i've only had small (under 150cc) motorbikes that had factory center stands. for bigger bikes i use a front wheel chock when i want hold the bike upright for wrenching

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your right, I never raced but have had 3 Kawasaki Z1/KZ900's and a KZ550A that I used alot for canyon riding hear in California, they all had center stands and did scrape the ground or at least now as much as my pegs, even my old Honda's had them too, this is my first Harley and the fact that it didn't have a center stand, immediately stood out to me. As I'm looking at the accessories page for this Harley Street, I see now that I could have ordered it and had it put on when my wife bought the bike. She doesn't know that much about bikes and bought it as a surprise for me, so she had no idea. I'm an ex Kawasaki mechanic and so I just like having it on for maintenance reasons, it probably wouldn't be practical to have on as a racer but I'm looking at it as an everyday commuter / do it your self owner. They come in handy for oil changes and keeping the rear of the bike clean. Anyway, I may put one on eventually. Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just got through installing my center stand today. I had to go and buy a 6 mm ball type hex socket. I used the blue lock tight instead of red. Using a torque wrench (38 ft/lbs) was almost a waste time. Almost stripped both hex bolts. Yesterday I installed the black 3 inch mini boards in place of the passenger pegs. So far I like the center stand. Just need to get use to using it as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one but haven't received it yet. I don't really see why you would need to use a torque wrench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts