Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first time poster!
So I’ve been test riding my friends 2015 street 500.
on the weekend I was pulling in to park and I accidentally stalled. Afterwards the bike wouldn’t start for about a minute, we tried everything, roll starting ect. but it had nothing happening and nothing after hitting the starter. We tried fiddling around turning the key on and off and it eventually started.
has anyone else had the problem and does anybody have any idea what it was??
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello Trit!
Maybe the battery? Has it been changed? I have a 16 XG 500 , keep it on a tender and will be changing the battery in the spring.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think it was, the Battery was fine and you could hear that the fuel pump and stuff wasn’t coming on. Seems to be starting again no problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t think it was, the Battery was fine and you could hear that the fuel pump and stuff wasn’t coming on. Seems to be starting again no problem
on the weekend I was pulling in to park and I accidentally stalled. Afterwards the bike wouldn’t start for about a minute, we tried everything, roll starting ect. but it had nothing happening and nothing after hitting the starter. We tried fiddling around turning the key on and off and it eventually started.
I had something similar to this happen to my '15 XG750. Came out of the blue while accidently starting out from a stop in 2nd gear. Stalled.
Multiple bouts of dead spots on attempted starting. Engine would turn over but complete fail-to- fire. Then it would. Progressively worse
and more often. Got to the point of my fear of complete failure. Ended up trailering it to semi-local HD shop. They had it for around 3 weeks.
Prolly first Street they had their hands on. I paid for their introduction to Street School. Ended up with them (prolly with instruction from Corporate) replacing
sheared keyway on the alternator. I think/guess with this failure timing is lost and found by luck of the draw. Half-ton of money for ounce of repair part.
Live and learn. I'm not saying this is your problem, only saying what happened to me. Research is your friend. The more ideas you can sift through the less
final cost you will incur is the way I look at it. Good luck and try to let the forum know the final outcome. My mental relationship with my Street as of now
is like that of a red-headed girl friend. If you ever had one you know what I elude to. :oops:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had something similar to this happen to my '15 XG750. Came out of the blue while accidently starting out from a stop in 2nd gear. Stalled.
Multiple bouts of dead spots on attempted starting. Engine would turn over but complete fail-to- fire. Then it would. Progressively worse
and more often. Got to the point of my fear of complete failure. Ended up trailering it to semi-local HD shop. They had it for around 3 weeks.
Prolly first Street they had their hands on. I paid for their introduction to Street School. Ended up with them (prolly with instruction from Corporate) replacing
sheared keyway on the alternator. I think/guess with this failure timing is lost and found by luck of the draw. Half-ton of money for ounce of repair part.
Live and learn. I'm not saying this is your problem, only saying what happened to me. Research is your friend. The more ideas you can sift through the less
final cost you will incur is the way I look at it. Good luck and try to let the forum know the final outcome. My mental relationship with my Street as of now
is like that of a red-headed girl friend. If you ever had one you know what I elude to. :oops:
Also past cures to this problem on other manufactures PTW included spraying on-of switch, kick stand safety switch, and/or turn signal switch with correct electrical lube
as a first step electric fail resolve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it wasn’t turning over at all as if the ignition was totally dead it literally made no sounds what so ever so I’m really stumped. Battery was all fine still it was probably about 25 minutes into a ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a given to turn your key to the "Off" position and then back to the "On" resets the computer. Then the bike HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL before it will start. It's a safety feature on ALL the newer bikes from after a certain year. I am not exactly sure what year they started that safety feature.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
590 Posts
The manual for my 2016 Street 750 states:

After a tip over, reset the ignition before starting the engine.
  1. Set the motorcycle upright.
  2. Reset the ignition by turning the ignition switch OFF-IGNITION.

H-D had not introduced start in gear protection as late as 2016. Neutral was hard enough to find on my bike that I developed the bad habit of starting in first with the clutch depressed. I've had a few surprises when the clutch hasn't been fully depressed, so need to stop that.

My bike doesn't have a jiffy stand interlock nor start in gear protection, but the manual states:

Some international models have a jiffy stand interlock switch.
The motorcycle will start and run with the jiffy stand down while the transmission is in neutral. If the jiffy stand is down and the transmission in gear, engaging the clutch stalls the motorcycle. Raising the jiffy stand or putting the transmission in neutral will permit the engine to run.
While the motorcycle is in motion at speeds greater than 15km/h (10mph), lowering the jiffy stand will not stop the engine.

I believe but am not certain that the jiffy stand interlock switch became universal along with start in gear protection in 2017. That was part of the same update that put the tachometer, gear indicator, and maybe a clock onto the multi-function display that had previously only displayed the odometer and a pair of trip odometers.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My 2015 has a jiffy stand. It will only start when in Neutral, jiffy stand up or down normally. If the jiffy stand is down and you select a gear, the ignition kills. I have not tried a clutch start in gear as I have not needed to. So for me without a green neutral light it will be a no response from the starter switch.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
590 Posts
I think the difference is that @Propnut and @Trit_07 are riding some of those international models and I'm riding the U.S. version. My bad for missing the fact that @Trit_07 is from Australia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts