Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, the factory has done this for years beginning with the XLX-61 in '83. This is a cost-lowering procedure, a customer can always buy a tach later if it is important to them. In stock form, the engine has a rev-limiter so you won't overrev it. I would bet money that a Street Tach Kit will be in the HD Accessories catalog very soon!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, the factory has done this for years beginning with the XLX-61 in '83. This is a cost-lowering procedure, a customer can always buy a tach later if it is important to them. In stock form, the engine has a rev-limiter so you won't overrev it. I would bet money that a Street Tach Kit will be in the HD Accessories catalog very soon!
It's not that bad, i mean for the price I kind of expected that to happen.

@Streettracker ; has a good point on the rev limited. Not sure %100 but it does cut fuel or timing one or the other to protect you from cooking the engine.

And yes just look out for a tach add on in the accessories :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh really? heh thanks for the response. new to the harley scene had no clue this was standard ops :D

·
Registered
633 Posts

There are lots of Harley Davidsons that don't have a tach.

All the single gauges are speed only.

Unless you are looking at this

There is no tach.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some people ride for efficiency and use numerical shift points that cant be determined with just your ears ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
You bought an old airhead, they saw you coming a mile away. Value? What's that? :p
On the contrary, I love an old airhead!

Tach, do I need one? No.

I've put over 50,000 trouble free miles on this bike, and will probably put at least another 50,000 on it before I rebuild the top end.

So far, it's been a great value.;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Harley riders who ride for efficiency? erhmmm

do you have a harley? :rolleyes:
One of the reasons I bought a Sportster instead of a Victory was fuel mileage. With gas pushing $4 a gallon here in NY, efficiency is getting more important (especially when compared to the 12 mpg with my Studebaker truck). I don't personally short shift for mileage reasons, but I don't wind it out to redline either. No tach on my bike, but it doesn't bother me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts