Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November can see some having to hibernate their bike, while others enjoy the brisk cooler temps. So who wants to ride and share your miles with others? It's simple, Post a picture of your odometer at the beginning of the month and one at the end. Ending mileage will be due no later than midnight of the last day on month. If you own more than one bike then total miles on all count (only your miles count, not other rider miles), just have to submit beginning and ending readings for all bikes. We will do this every month so riders with limited riding weather during winter will have a chance during the summer. If you participatd in the previous months challenge your ending reading in that one will your beginning reading for this month.

Rectangle Font Pattern Parallel Screenshot

·
Administrator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was going to hold off on starting another month, seems some aren't getting much riding time in. But I've got a nice Thanksgiving weekend trip planned so was thinking possibly others might also. I do realize Thanksgiving is a US holiday and with cooler temps in most northern areas might be limited riding. Then I thought about @Propnut, he's starting summer. So let's keep it going and maybe a few others will chime in.

·
Administrator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Propnut, how’s the weather down there? Are current affair coming down any? You going to be able to get out and ride more this year?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Normally by this time here it is a lot warmer with no rain. This past month we have had really bad cold weather being pushed up from the south pole ending up as a cold front passing over the Cape Town areas and pushing up inland and then over towards the east coast, before dissipating over the Indian Ocean south of Mozambique. This cold air has been hit by the hot jet stream moving from Namibia where it gets its heat from the desert and blasting over my Durban area in KwaZulu-Natal. The cold polar and the hot jet stream wind has produced much higher rainfall along the east coast. The unstable upper air has also resulted in some really big thunderstorms with large hail in the inland areas. So weather wise it has not been as good this year as it has been at the same time in previous years.

·
Administrator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully your weather will calm down some. In Houston we've been pretty wet also, cutting down on my riding time. I know you had talked some about local civil protests, have that calmed down some so when the weather does break you can get some wind therepy time?

·
Registered
639 Posts
That civil unrest in June has resulted in around $19.3 billion in insurance pay outs. Sadly many of the businesses have had enough and are taking the money and leaving SA. So a once well managed country has ended up where we are today, poor electricity supply, lack of basic services such as water and sanitation in many areas. Road infrastructure has also suffered where national roads (your Interstate) and large cities have the least damaged roadways left.

It is going to take years to rebuild the civil unrest damage as there are much larger issues at stake, especially in the political arena. I sometimes wonder if we should have only two political parties like you have, instead of the 1,092 we have. The in-fighting over scraps would make a good TV series. Many here have tried to link the June unrest to the national elections we had here on the 1st of November. Who really knows.

My brother sums it up from his perch in northern California. He came to the Wild West, but he has not seen any cowboys yet. If he had stayed here in SA he would be living in the Wild West. Enjoy your day and I am looking forward to reading all about your retirement in the months ahead. Safe riding.

·
Administrator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a short riding vacation to visit son’s family for thanksgiving and work on my retirement property. Here’s my route, tad under 800 miles. With any amount of extra running around should easily be a thousand mile weekend.

Ecoregion Map Rectangle World Slope

Leg one is complete, here’s the Relive video.

Ride safe and often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts