Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am broke, and my 5k service is up? they said to wait to get the service done? i can't just get my oil changed for now, so i don't burn up my motor? how can i go about doing this and still taking good care of my motorcycle for the time being? isn't there somewhere i can go for twenty bucks and get my oil changed for peace of mind?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am not sure if $20 would even cover the cost of the Oil and Filter. The HD Oil Filter is around $8. Plus 3 Qts of oil. You might be able to, If you went and bought aftermarket parts and did it yourself. Valvoline 20/50 (Conventional) Oil is about $4 Qt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
so i am broke, and my 5k service is up? they said to wait to get the service done? i can't just get my oil changed for now, so i don't burn up my motor? how can i go about doing this and still taking good care of my motorcycle for the time being? isn't there somewhere i can go for twenty bucks and get my oil changed for peace of mind?
Know your pain mate, but the service is more than just the oil and filter isn't it....i'm not any where near that yet.

I am sure they will check clutch adjustment, brakes and few other safety checks....

Ride safe mate

Ray

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you have tools and some basic mechanical skills, you can do the service yourself. It is not that hard. I bought a tube of Harley lube, the belt tension tester, oil, and filter and it was around $100. That was for full synthetic Harley oil. My wife got it so she didn't know or I would have went with conventional oil.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Belt Tension gauge, Did you buy that from the dealer? I looked around. Saw several brands. All look like they're made by the same company. HD website shows it to be $35. I can buy one(OTC brand) for about 2/3 their price. Shipping included.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get whatever tension gage you can cheaply it needs to be able to push ten pounds of tension, the 5k service checks bolt torques, belt tension, clutch adjustment, as well as the oil change, belt tension should be good check your clutch if its a lil loose tighten it up I think the spec is 2mm of freeplay, get your oil changed with a filter thst is the most important, I work at a dealership and as long as you change oil and filter you will be good in my opinion 10k miles And 20k are the ones not to skip. As well as dont skip oil changes every 5k.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thanks Oandy. I ordered the OTC tool. And plan on getting a Shop Manual. As I do my own Maintenance work. Valvoline Synthetic 20/50 and K&N filters.

Question here, My dealer sold me a #11105 O-Ring for the Oil plug. Is this correct? I'm asking cause he didn't bother to look it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
A person buys a new 2015 motorcycle and can't afford an oil change?! That seems a bit silly.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
When I had the Yamaha Majesty I met a few other owners. These people would only change the oil and filter every 3k Miles. Even if it took them a couple of years. Not sure if they actually did the filter? As it was supposedly required every 12k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it preferable to use synthetic oil or conventional oil? I have read synthetic oil is better than conventional, so why are guys opting for conventional? Is their any specific reason for it?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Is it preferable to use synthetic oil or conventional oil? I have read synthetic oil is better than conventional, so why are guys opting for conventional? Is their any specific reason for it?
I would guess they feel if the oil is changed every 3000-5000 miles they dont feel synthetic is needed

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used conventional oil for the first 3k miles on my 750 between summer '14 to winter '14 and then switched over to synthetic during during that same winter. I noticed right away with synthetic that the initial time it took for the engine to warm up on those cold mornings was without a doubt signicantly faster (probably twice as fast), and the engine also seemed to have an easier time starting up.

Also, now that I have driven a full summer on synthetic, I have generally noticed that my radiator does not kick on nearly as often as it did when I was using conventional oil during summer '14.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The o ring sounds right they try to use it on everything...lol , syn verdus conv.. think it is a personal choice, down here in fl you can go either way the temps are so hot down here I doubt you could tell , however synthetics tend to hold more dirt than conventional thus they last longer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Belt Tension gauge, Did you buy that from the dealer? I looked around. Saw several brands. All look like they're made by the same company. HD website shows it to be $35. I can buy one(OTC brand) for about 2/3 their price. Shipping included.
I got it from the dealer using the part number in the book.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I used conventional oil for the first 3k miles on my 750 between summer '14 to winter '14 and then switched over to synthetic during during that same winter. I noticed right away with synthetic that the initial time it took for the engine to warm up on those cold mornings was without a doubt signicantly faster (probably twice as fast), and the engine also seemed to have an easier time starting up.

Also, now that I have driven a full summer on synthetic, I have generally noticed that my radiator does not kick on nearly as often as it did when I was using conventional oil during summer '14.

have you noticed any smoother shifting?
...or quite'r engine noise?
on other bikes I've had, I noticed these things when I switched to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It will get a lil bit quieter with more miles on it but not much, hey its a harley! At least they dont sound like a spray can being shaken like some sportsters I have worked on! Most of the noise we hear on these is the chsin drive on the overhead cams.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Valvoline told me I can use their Synthetic 20/50 Motorcycle oil. I'm doing mine at 500 miles. The factory oil has been in there since April. When the bike was made. Definitely getting changed Before Winter. As I am unsure of how much Riding I will be doing?? Amazon may have me work OT. 5 or 6 day work week. Instead of 4 (10 Hour shifts)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just received my OTC Tension Gauge today. Toolsource.com doesn't always have the Best price, But they are usually Quick with delivery.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts