Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced oil leaking from where the foot shift lever meets the transmission. I included pics for reference. It typically leaves a soda can sized oil stain on the ground after a night of sitting in the parking lot. For those who have had this happen, how much did it cost to fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
If it was leaking from the seal where the shaft goes into the crankcase, you would not get the oil stain/smear above the shaft to the degree that is shown in Photo-1. The oil leak drips from the bottom of the seal housing as the bike leans to that side when on the stand.

Going on the pictures I would try and identify a leak higher up in the engine casing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You could put Oil Dye in the engine. Wash off the old stains. Run the engine and hit with a UV light.

Mine had it happen Twice. Within 1800 Miles. The Rear Cylinder Cover leaked onto my Belt Guard. Both times fixed under Warranty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I made to the dealer and my warranty is good for 2 more weeks. I guess I lucked out there. Plus I found out this dealer only charges $189 for 5K and 10K mile service intervals.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I paid my Dealer for a 1k Service. All I know they did was Adjust the Drive Belt. The Oil and Filter wasn't done. I do that myself. They didn't check my Coolant or Brake Fluids. The Rear Master Cylinder was low on mine. Didn't know it until I upgraded the pads. The Front had a milky white substance floating in it. And the Coolant. Saw that when I replaced the battery to a Lithium. When it was in the wheel chock. And the Panels were off. I flushed my brake fluids. And had to pay the dealer for a Pint of Coolant. As I only needed about Half a cups worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how I feel about lithium batteries. Another guy I was riding with had one and it caught fire for no apparent reason. Luckily for him, removing a battery from a Rocker is a lot easier than pulling a battery from a Street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts