Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a good one for ya. the bolt holding the belt sprocket broken on mine,, and melted my belt off.
and I have had my head gaskets redone 3 times in 3 yrs,
and ,,now the timing chain(rust)
the oil pump had to be replaced (cracked cheap plastic)
I just found out the bearings in the transmission are toast,(a $4000+ fix cost labour and time..argh)and battery replaced(last July) now 2 times (march)
and this is a 2015 street xg500... and Harley( kelowna) wont fix or touch it now.(disowned as a customer lovely email fro the manager)).and was told by John white( ontario) the service head honcho....... sorry bye good luck BS( because each Harley is owned independent and there for makes up their own rules).. .I think I spent at least $7000 on replacement and repair costs on this..and I had it inside. ..if outside covered.. soo ya...so no excuses from harley to make a crap bike(from India )stand by your product...dont be soo anti customer...im about to drop it off at the store and walk away...its taste.. my late father would be soo pissed off and he was a harley man from the start..I would so love to get this fixed but im not rich..

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mine has only had the fuel pump replaced under a recall, steering head bearings and seals replaced dur to rust and a battery replaced after 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
614 Posts
The bolt holding the front drive sprocket failing does seem to be a problem for a number of these bikes. It has come up on this forum a number of times, but it's not happening to everybody. There tends to be a lot of collateral damage as the pulley comes whizzing away from it's intended location.

If I recall correctly, H-D has changed this from a fully threaded bolt to a shoulder bolt, leaving a little more metal and thus strength at the point the bolt tends to shear. It's probably not a bad idea to switch the bolts as a preventative measure as well as using some blue Loctite on the threads.

The problem does not appear to be limited to the bikes assembled in Kansas City, like @thomasjamesturner and I ride nor the ones built in Bawal, like @Propnut rides.

Going through multiple head gaskets is definitely suspicious. That really has me thinking that they have the shop foreman, IVY LAUTARD, doing the wrenching:

In four years of riding I've had no problems with my Street 750, although the battery is definitely a little weak these days and there was a brake recall in 2019.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think "lugging" in a gear to low for the ride conditions, results in the "snatch" effect between the front belt pully and the rear drive bely pully. The shock of the snatch will find its way to the weakest point, and here is where I think the front pully bolt is suspect to breaking and shearing off. The rider with the quickest clutch fingers wins in this duel!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts