Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
the front brakes especially are not up to what they should be...
HD upgraded the brakes on the 2016 models.
they now have larger and better brakes.

even though I'm not a hard rider, this 2015 Street 750 that I have does have the worst brakes of any bike I've owned, and that has been many over many years.

sure, I'm not wanting to do stoppies, but I would like the front brake to be stronger. for now, I'm gonna change the front brake line to a braided line and see if that helps any.

this lil bike is pretty fast and the current brakes are not as good as what these bikes need. IMO

·
Registered
766 Posts
for me, it's not that the brakes cant be locked up....

the issue is the braking capacity slowing down these bikes from freeway speeds should not take as much effort as it does. a better brake capacity would also mean that better brakes will not heat up as much having to not work as hard...as inadequate brakes do.
for those that ride hard and or in heavy stop and go traffic, overheated brakes can be a failure concern....trust me on that.

HD knew these brakes were not up to par otherwise they would not have upgraded them on the 2016 models.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The front brake is great in my opinion. The back you need to put more effort in to than I like (because the odd angle I have to contort my foot and lack of adjustment in the rod) but at this point, I'm used to it and I can brake comfortably from high speeds in shorter distances than most here would attempt unless absolutely needed. I will upgrade the pads to a semi-performance set when the stock ones are done.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The front brake is great in my opinion. The back you need to put more effort in to than I like (because the odd angle I have to contort my foot and lack of adjustment in the rod) but at this point, I'm used to it and I can brake comfortably from high speeds in shorter distances than most here would attempt unless absolutely needed. I will upgrade the pads to a semi-performance set when the stock ones are done.

I agree, it's the rear braking system that needs the most improvement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is an adjustment in the rear brake rod. Not easy to get to it with tools, but it can be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
best of luck. But the logic presented will not get you anywhere.

Because they upgraded the brakes in 2016 so that means they acknowledge there was an issue? If that's the case then there won't be any upgrades to any of our cars/bikes because most of them work fine. Upgrade is a natural course of product to improve upon the previous version, whether there's an issue or not, to entice new customers and beat competition.

To really have a call to action you would have to prove the real world stopping power is different from the claimed stopping power under the same circumstances that they were tested at. Or there's consistent failure under scenarios that you can replicate. If these information is not present, then that's why there's a whole ecosystem of aftermarket parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts