Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some Phat plug wires on my bike, but they don't fit in the retainer clips. They aren't loose, being phat, but is there a heat issue? The longer one is resting on top of the valve covers. The OEM wires were only separated from the covers by a thin plastic clip.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I also just changed my wires to HD's orange screaming eagle 10mm plug wires.

the kit came with two black plastic wire tires. just tie the back plug wire to the clips and all will be fine. even if they rest on the valve covers some it isn't going to hurt. they will never get hot enough to melt the wires.

the only place where it could burn them is on the exhaust headers which is not an issue here.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Rock, Did you notice any difference in performance? I see other brand on DK's website. 8mm Sumax.

no not really, but love the orange look it added to my bikes orange and black theme. i'll post a pic when I can.

yeah, HD's screaming eagle plug wires they sell on the HD website, claims it fits these street models and are 10 mm.

they wont fit the rear wire's metal clips unless you bend them out some or just use the included black wire ties. which is what I did.

they look cool and that's the only reason why I bought them.
$30 for 2 plug wires is a lot of money, but I love the new look!

as far as performance?....I honestly cant tell any difference.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I May get a set of Red Sumax from DK. I have the Red and Black 750. 8mm should fit the existing holders.

When I get the money, I am getting a Service Manual. Then I'll be able to do my own Mods. The Majesty has a Nology Coil and Hotwire. Using the Manual(For the Coil Ohms) I bought Universal parts that worked. Started right up when I did it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha! That's what the zip ties were for. I'll do that. I got the red ones, BTW. Adds just a hint of color. I like it!

(Instead of instructions for the plug wires, my box contained instructions for an air cleaner)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking at the Screaming Eagle plug wires the other day, just wishing they came in Blue. I may go with the 8mm Sumax, as they come in Blue. I am planning on adding some blue highlights to my bike, like the Rain Sock for my V&H intake, a Blue Tire Penz for the lettering on the tires, and then the blue plug wires. But liek someone else said I am still trying to swallow $30 for two wires.....so not yet....but soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I find it kinda strange that HD came out with a blue color for the 2016 Street, but don't have blue plugs wires available...go figure...huh?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just a warning. I did get the Sumax 8mm wires. The rear cylinder wire is a bit on the short side. It does fit the retainers. I was only able to use the one next to the coil. And had to use the(Supplied) zip tie. And secure it to the retainer. As I couldn't find anywhere else. And my factory wires didn't want to come off. Use a slim Spark Plug wire puller to prevent damage. In the event of a problem, You can put the stock ones back on. I'll see if I can post a pic later.

·
Registered
504 Posts
pic of the orange screaming eagle 10mm plug wires
Rock, Is that a "swing Arm Bag"? Where did you get it. I have one from another bike I tried holding up, but it was too big for the bike. That one looks nice and compact.
Supplier?? Part Number??

·
Registered
766 Posts
Rock, Is that a "swing Arm Bag"? Where did you get it. I have one from another bike I tried holding up, but it was too big for the bike. That one looks nice and compact.
Supplier?? Part Number??

I bought the bag at a local (not HD) bike shop, but the manufacturer's website is

Accessory - Luggage

I paid only $20 for my bag though.
after looking on their website, you may could find a cheaper price on ebay or do a google search for "river road" fork bags.

I installed it to the side arm with two large rubber washered self tapping sheet metal screws, similar to "R" panel sheet metal galvanized roofing screws, which I got at lowes.

I use it to carry tools. there is another place where I carry a few more tools. there is a tube across the frame, under the front of the seat, just below where the seat and tank meet.

it is large enough to carry another zip lock storage bag to carry more tools.....etc..

depending on how large the item you put in that tube, it can be accessed by taking off the right side cover, other wise you can lift the seat off and that side cover to get to larger items that you might put in that tube. to make it more convenient to remove the seat bolt easily and quickly, change the seats's screw to one that you can remove by hand.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
that's ok...maybe I can help ya a bit..
Dude, there is is no other colour combo than Black and Orange....ENVY!!

Bike is looking mint....it's real cool watching our bikes "evolve" over the past few months....everyone has done one thing or another, some more than others....your bike is cool looking!!

Love that handbag on the swing arm....must get one!!! :nerd:

R

·
Registered
766 Posts
thank you kiwihog !

I still have a few more small (and bigger) mods I'd like to get done.

yes, I really like seeing what others have done to modify and personalize their bikes also. many are great ideas and I have been inspired by those great ideas. some of their mods are too expensive for my budget, but I slowly do what I can, that's a big part of the fun of owning a bike IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts