Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone requested a poll on the population of these problems.

I am interested in it myself.

So Choose, woodruff, fuel pump or nothing.

If you would not mind post when you vote and give you total accumulated mileage!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nothing yet, but with only 600kms on the clock - I will leave my options wide open.

·
Registered
309 Posts
FUEL PUMP

My first pump was bad on day one. I now have a new pump, replaced at 220, miles and 400 miles on the bike. I'm currently in the process of running the tank down to see if the new pump/system is working. It doesn't seem to matter, however, since some report to be on their 3rd one. That reminds me, my dealer service manager, whom I have no reason to not trust, told me that Milwaukee told him the L&L problem only happenens to one (1) in 500 bikes. Now, just think about that, only one in 500 but some, perhaps many, have already gone through, at least two pumps (figure those odds). I suspect that, let's say, the real truth is being withheld. I'll add some to that. A week or so ago I received a call from H-D Head Quarters in response to a letter that I sent to the CEO, requesting what was being done. The person that I talked to, identifying himself only as "David", assured me that the [PROBLEM] has been solved, once and for all. Does anyone believe that, since they are, apparently, still replacing defective pumps with defective pumps? I can tolerate some 'bugs' in a brand new product but this situation defies logic. I believe that H-D Corporate is not without deception and while I love the STREET I'm not sure that I ever want to do business with H-D again. Unlike some I don't consider H-D as tantamount to GOD!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Just received the call from my dealer and they told me the woodruff key is the issue and that it essentially destroyed my roter. They have the parts coming in and assured me I will have my bike back this week. 236 miles

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have 4,296 miles as of today. Tomorrow is exactly 4 months of ownership. First fuel pump was bad from the get go. I ran without reporting it for about 600 miles. It took a week or so to get in the shop. The bike left the shop at 883 on 5/2 miles with a new fuel pump. Performed 1k maintenance on 5/19. Fuel pump number 2 was good for a while but ultimately the surging came back. I took the bike in on 7/11 at 3,557 miles. They swapped my tank with one off on of their rider academy bikes to have time to test and diagnose. They confirmed it was in fact the same problem as the last pump and that my tank was ready with a new pump whenever I was ready to pick it up. I got my tank reinstalled with the new pump on 7/18 at 3,913 miles. I rode away with the fuel they had put in the tank and rode it until the low fuel light came on with no issues (mileage is unknown due to just swapping the tanks out). I filled the tank up and at 154 miles on second tank the surge was back with no low fuel light. I fueled the bike up a third time and today at 124 miles the bike was surging on the hill outside of my job, clearly no fuel light was on. I've not called the dealership again, yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First fuel pump replaced at 240 miles, second one at ~520 miles. Running the tank down now to see if it is still OK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First fuel pump was bad on tank 1. I sucked it up and didn't have them replace it until 500 miles. I am having issues again around 1k miles and taking it back in when I get the tank low and have some spare time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since the 1st time it ran low

Bought my Street 500 on June 16th, and noticed the lag and leap issue the first time it got low on fuel... but didn't realize it was a problem until I found this forum. It's my 1st bike, and I just chalked it up to "I guess that's just how it's supposed to be". The issue usually starts right around the 172 to 173 mile mark after filling up, and the low fuel light comes on a short time thereafter. I managed to get 193 miles out of a tank of gas, but it was sputtering pretty bad when I pulled up to the pump...lol. I've just been topping it off before it gets to that point, but I have it scheduled to go into the dealer this Thursday to get it looked at. I've put a tad over 2900 miles on it as of today. I've printed up a couple of the pages from this forum to show the service tech, in case he hasn't heard of the issue. Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe my fuel pump was good up until about 900 + miles. I have always been one to check my gas mileage and wanted to run as much fuel out of my tank as possible so once I discovered a base line of about 50 mpg I started running the bike to 140+ miles before I filled it up. I did this several times and just before my last fill up before my 1000 mile check up and oil change I got the lag leap at about 126+/- miles indicated on my trip meter. I have not had my fuel pump replaced yet because I want to make sure they ether have a fix. (It might be that I will fix this myself.) I can see ordering the part and gluing the intake rod to the fuel pump with a gas tank liner type glue. Let it completely dry and put it in the tank to see if it holds. Maybe something like the Caswell Epoxy type sealer. http://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/products/epoxy-fuel-tank-sealer.

Am also wondering if there is another tested pump that will work in this tank?

mgg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing yet, 2660 km (1662 miles), using my bike as a daily commuter in heavy city trafic, and only 10 km of highway, with steep up hill in the morning, and obvious steep uphill in the evenings.
But, I do have a gremlin bell...lol, wink wink...

·
Registered
159 Posts
My L&L pump issue occurred first at 86 miles, I drove it for a bit until I found this forum, reported it and had it replaced at about 500 miles. Failed again around 900 miles. Replaced at about 1K (soonest I could get it in). I'm now at about 1200, waiting for the next failure. Not if, but when since they're just replacing faulty pumps with faulty pumps.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Read more at Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein at BrainyQuote

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great Thread.

TT442 (Tech Tip) Street performance diagnostics states that the fuel pump connection is very fragile so whoever is replacing the pumps needs to be careful when installing a new one>
So far we have sold over 35 Streets
1 with the woodruff key problem no fuel issue yet.
Keep going.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
First fuel pump replaced at about 400miles. Still in the shop (now over two weeks!) getting second new fuel pump since the first replacement failed within 200miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@tdcmoto,

"So far we have sold over 35 Streets
1 with the woodruff key problem no fuel issue yet."

Just wait unless that guy, that told me that the problem was fixed, happened to be telling the truth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have just over 600 miles and have had the bike for almost 3 weeks now. The lag and leap happens about 115-125 miles into a tank every time. I'm debating on when to take it in and see if they can fix the issue.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts