Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought my first HD :) I bought the 500. I moved up from a Kawasaki Eliminator 125cc, so the 500 feels way more powerful than what I was riding. I am hearing loud popping from the pipes - I think it's because I may be in too high of a gear? So, for this newbie HD rider, can someone give me a step by step on how to shift and when to shift? Even if I follow what the manual says I still get that popping sound. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it is what I believe it to be, it would be decel popping. Do you have any enhanced pipes or air intake? An FP3 can adjust for it.

You might also be sure you are not running ethanol. The bike is supposed to be able to drink up to E10, but I find when mine drinks alcohol it pops more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome aboard newhdgirl!

My stock xg750 has a little bit of popping, but as AndyD mentions, I mostly run on E10. I was running 91 octane straight gas and didn't notice any popping then, but have not tried any lower octane straight gas as it's hard to come by around here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hello Newhdgirl. All bikes will emit a slight pop from time to time.

If you read the Owners Manual, It will show the recommended speed ranges for each gear. 1st tops at 10 Mph. If you pull the clutch and downshift into 1st at 10 or above, The Gears will whine. As an example. My 750 I have been able to pull 6th as low as 35 mph. Usually around 40 and above. With time and practice, You'll find out what gear at what speed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome to the forum i would recommend getting a screamin eagle or some other aftermarket slip on muffler so at least you could hear the revs ....might help your instinct to know when to shift and downshift .... the stock muffler is way too quiet dam thing sounded like a sewin machine when i got mine check out other posts under user control panel and keyword decel popping there is a lot of posts and threads from a while ago not just recently my bike 2015xg500 792 miles ride to live live to ride

1 - 5 of 5 Posts