Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking thru the owners manual and read about the pre-load settings for the rear shocks. I went out to look at my bike and saw that mine is set on 1 (I think they all come that way from the factory) and based on my weight I need it on 3. So I went back to the dealership and asked them for the tool for adjusting the pre-load on the shocks. $11.00 dollars later I am headed home ready to do the adjustments. Well one thing lead to another and 2 weeks later I still haven't set the pre-load. I am getting ready to do a little ride (150 miles) and I decide that before I head out I would take the time to set it. Low and Behold the wrench does not fit. I look in the catalog and it says that the wrench is universal. I check the owners manual and the part number for the wrench is different than the catalog. I go on my ride knowing that after the ride I was headed back to the dealership for my 1000 mile service. I picked up the bike today and went to return the wrench and get the right one and the parts guy says that it the right one. I tell him it does not fit. He says sure it does. So I said show me. We go over to a 750 on the showroom floor and he tries to use the wrench and guess what it doesn't fit. I gave the wrench part number that is called out in the owners manual and he goes to look it up and apparently it does not exist. After getting my money back I go back over to service and ask the service tech how much to set the preload on my bike. He goes back to grab a service guy and they come out whit a tool and go over to my bike to make the adjustment. Well their tool doesn't work either. I know this has been a little long winded but I just want to get my shocks adjusted. Has anyone had any luck getting the right tool to do this?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
yep, been there, done that.

I had essentially the same experience. I used a strap wrench to make initial adjustments when my dealer couldn't help me. When I ordered the correct wrench from the dealer, they were able to order for me. I ordered 2 of them, figuring I would donate the extra to the service department, so future riders wouldn't have the same problem. When I did my 1000 mile service I took the wrench to the service department and the tech,remembering the issue from a couple months ago, was appreciative for the gift. He immediately got out a sharpie and wrote STREET on both sides of the wrench. When I was checking out the next day after my service he explained that the synthetic oil, I had ordered usually required payment of a premium, but since he appreciated the wrench, he didn't do the extra charge for the synthetic.
Anyway, go to the parts department and ask for part number "14900048". It should be about $5.00 and is called "tool kit" If you say you are looking for the shock wrench they will try to sell you the "universal" wrench, which we know isn't universal. Just ask them to look up the part number and they can find it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I received a tool from the dealership along with some first aid stuff for minor scratches. The tool is weird, stamped out of a sheet of metal, and seems not to fit, but you can make it happen- I have adjusted, then re-adjusted both my rear shocks with it. It came with the "tool kit" so I didn't pay anything extra..

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
My partner had a wrench in his tool box that fit but I have no idea what type of motorcycle it is actually for. He probably knows but I don't. I know the wrench for my Sportster (the "univeral" wrench) didn't fit. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
The one on the right is what I described as being received from the dealership with the first aid kit.. The large round part fits into the shock's base but takes a little maneuvering to get it right.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
$4.95 and I apologize the part number 14900048 is outdated.Now it needs an "A" at the end, so it is 14900048A. I have found this happening with other parts, so if you are trying to order something and the store doesn't seem to find it, you might try asking them to add an "A" to the end of the numbers. And I suppose in the future, a "B" or a "C".

·
Registered
116 Posts
Asked for the wrench at a local dealer and mentioned the one in the catalog was the wrong one. Guy knew exactly what I was talking about and the exact part number to order for me. Just picked it up today so haven't used it yet. Was right at $5.00.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the universal wrench. I had to keep pressure on the tool as I turned it. It was a bit tough, but it's done. I cranked it all the way for riding with my wife. I personally like it better. It was a bit soft before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought the one on the left as well. It took me a few minutes to get it to work but if you hold it right and apply pressure while turning it, it will work both ways.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I must have been ripped off, dealer ordered a wrench for me and cost $33. Don't remember the part number but it was just a stamped out part. Thanks HD!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Has anyone come up with a chart for the various weights? I asked the salesman for a shock wrench but he said that shocks were a dealer adjusted item & to bring it in when in need of adjustment. I'm going to try & find a wrench & play with it myself, like all my other 2 wheelers. Also is there an aftermarket wrench that will fit. I don't like paying the high prices at HD.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Pre Load

Recommended Shock Preload
based on weight of rider, passenger, riding gear, accessories, and cargo.

Less than 75 kg (165 lb) Position 1
75-89 kg (165-195 lb) Position 2
89-102 kg (195-225 lb) Position 3
102-116 kg (225-255 lb) Position 4
116 kg (255 lb to max allowed 182kg (402 lb) Position 5

I believe this is in the owners manual. I copied out of a download service manual that I have. I can never find my owner's manual, when I want to, just when I don't need it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone come up with a chart for the various weights? I asked the salesman for a shock wrench but he said that shocks were a dealer adjusted item & to bring it in when in need of adjustment. I'm going to try & find a wrench & play with it myself, like all my other 2 wheelers. Also is there an aftermarket wrench that will fit. I don't like paying the high prices at HD.
The chart is in the manuals and you can look it up on the official HD site. From my printed copy I got with my bike it is:
1 : x < 165 lbs
2 : 165 lbs < x < 195 lbs
3 : 195 lbs < x < 225 lbs
4 : 225 lbs < x < 255 lbs
5 : 255 < x

The wrench ran $5.00 or so for me at my dealer. Your mileage may vary :)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Shock Wrench (aka Spanner) 14900048A

You should be able to order the wrench from parts department at your dealer. Should be around $5.00. and they shouldn't add on shipping. Every part I have ever ordered came without a shipping fee.
Part 14900048A and it may be called "tool kit"
Below is a link to a dealer with an online ordering department. (I use their site to research availability of parts, but like to order from local shop)

https://shop.newcastlehd.com/catalog/parts/harley-davidson?sku=14900048A

·
Registered
116 Posts
Road the bike today for the first time after adjusting the pre-load. It made a huge difference in the ride. Way more comfortable now that it is set correctly for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts