Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to check procedures for starting a big Harley V-twin with dead or depleted battery when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Push or compression engine starting:
If you can get the bike to a downward incline spot on the road, is it better to put in 1st or 2nd gear, before rolling bike and releasing clutch and hitting the starter? Has anyone tried this on a big V-twin on level ground and your by your lonesome? I can roll my bike reasonably well on level ground but getting any kind of momentum is impossible.
Jump starting:
Odds are a motorcyclist with a dead battery would need a jump start from a car or truck, and as long as donor battery is 12 volts its okay, right? Ensure bike is in neutral. Then, positive cable to positive cable. Negative of donor battery to frame of bike, any particular place on frame better than others? Start engine of donor vehicle, rev engine, run for a minute or so, and then try cycle starter. Is that about right or did I miss anything?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wanted to check procedures for starting a big Harley V-twin with dead or depleted battery when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Push or compression engine starting:
If you can get the bike to a downward incline spot on the road, is it better to put in 1st or 2nd gear, before rolling bike and releasing clutch and hitting the starter? Has anyone tried this on a big V-twin on level ground and your by your lonesome? I can roll my bike reasonably well on level ground but getting any kind of momentum is impossible.
Jump starting:
Odds are a motorcyclist with a dead battery would need a jump start from a car or truck, and as long as donor battery is 12 volts its okay, right? Ensure bike is in neutral. Then, positive cable to positive cable. Negative of donor battery to frame of bike, any particular place on frame better than others? Start engine of donor vehicle, rev engine, run for a minute or so, and then try cycle starter. Is that about right or did I miss anything?

Yes, get a battery tender to keep battery charged to capacity when motorcycle not in use where you store away bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
If you have 9v or less on the battery, you won't be able to push start your EFI Harley. If it has a carb then start pushing and dump that clutch. Boosting it with cables is the same as you would with any other 12v battery.
Absolutely accurate. In point of fact I'd never even attempt to push start an EFI engine on a dead battery. My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't have enough battery to turn over the engine it doesn't have enough battery for the EFI to work properly. Yes, you can use another 12v battery to jump start it but even that is a questionable practice. Why is the battery dead? You don't fix that problem by jump starting the motorcycle. If it's in the garage and the battery is dead put a charger on it and go drink a beer. When it's charged ride down to the Harley dealer and have them check the battery. Allowing a battery to run down and go dead is very harmful to the battery and often requires replacement to fix the problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm a dumb ass and have hit the kill switch a few times when I've gotten to the house and left the ignition turned on. That's the downside to the key less fobs on the bigger Harley's if you're absent minded like myself, some days. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts