Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some reason the fan isn't spinning when the bike is started, running, and idling. I assume the water pump is still working, there appears to be some wires plugged into the thermostat housing area, under the fuel tank. I suspect that the thermostat is stuck closed. If the thermostat is stuck, should the radiator fan continue to spin anyway or will the fan automatically shut off/fail to rotate? Also the check engine light is on, but occasionally the light goes off when on the highway. I had put water into the reservoir tank, and I was informed to not do that when I bought a bottle of pink radiator fluid at the dealer. Too late. Now I'll have to flush the water and old fluid anyway, but I also noticed that the fan wasn't spinning. The fan, having an electric motor should spin regardless of the thermostat position, correct? Or is this evidence that the thermostat IS in fact stuck closed, if it's used along with a switch or a sensor to keep the fan shut off?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The usual method of checking a thermostat means putting it in a pot of water with a thermometer.
The specs are - Initially opens 170.6 F. Fully open 195.8.
If it doesn't open, it's shot. Replace it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It turns out the thermostat probably has nothing to do with it. I removed the cap and stuck my finger into the housing and realized it isn't easily removable without taking apart the housing. I also noticed that the coolant pump isn't working and that I must have broken something because it appears to be spinning freely with the engine but there is no fluid moving. I pulled off the lower hose from the radiator to the coolant pump and pink/orange fluid poured out. Meanwhile the reservoir has been full with clear water only. Meaning nothing from the reservoir has been pulled into the radiator at all, and since pure coolant spilled out of the hose at the intake end of the coolant pump it means I didn't run the pump dry either. I will plan on replacing the coolant pump and the thermostat but right now it's been running fine without any other problems as air cooled only, although the check engine light is on. Still have no clue why the fan isn't spinning but I'll deal with that after I know that the water pump and thermostat work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts