Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what speed do you usually hit railroad tracks? Depends? 10mph? 30mph? Just curious. Go with flow of traffic or baby it across the tracks?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do the posted speed limit 50mph on one road as long as its not real uneven and bumpy shouldn't be a problem lots of railroad tracks in my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I kind of just "go with the flow" really. If traffic slows, I slow; if traffic maintains, I maintain.

Generally though, unless weather is in climate or it is wet, in which case I will slow down to a safe speed, I will just keep steady on.

Travel through/ over the RR crossing as speeds YOU are comfortable and safe with friend. That's all that matters.

Safe riding.

Best,

USVet96

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's how i roll; pretty much; i was getting concerned more about bike durability; if that's how it's designed, i'm safety and go with the flow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
no more active railroad tracks where i live in Philippines. the crossings are still there, but have been smoothed out with asphalt. so i just go with the traffic flow

·
Registered
495 Posts
At one stage we had a World Record of 53 active railway crossings over a distance of 1.8 miles on the same stretch of road. In the wet this stretch of road was a nightmare, especially on a motorcycle. The railway lines crossed the road from a large railway yard on one side, to storage facilities and the harbour facilities on the other side of the road. Over the years many of the crossings have been made redundant and covered over with tar. Even so the undulating surface still makes this road one to avoid.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
At what speed do you usually hit railroad tracks? Depends? 10mph? 30mph? Just curious. Go with flow of traffic or baby it across the tracks?

Generally speaking my speed doesn't vary at all when I hit a railroad crossing except for potential bumps and then only slightly. What I often do though is to swerve slightly when the railroad tracks aren't perpendicular to the roadway to try and hit the tracks as close to 90 degrees as possible. It's just a slight swerve within the lane to reduce the effect of running down the track that slightly disrupts the direction of the motorcycle. This isn't even very important unless you're on a very small motorcycle with thin tires that could potentially get caught in the groove beside the actual track but I got used to doing it on small motorcycles and continued that practice on larger motorcycles.

Overall I don't really even think about it and just keep on riding as usual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts