Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute in NYC every day, riding from Brooklyn to Manhattan. On Monday morning I had just come over the Brooklyn Bridge and was in front of City Hall in Manhattan. I was in a left lane turning left at an intersection, occupying the right third of my lane. The light turned from green to yellow, I was not going to make it, so I applied brakes and slowed to a stop as the first vehicle in the turn-lane. My bike was angled slightly to the left in anticipation of the upcoming turn. Maybe 1/3 of a second after I got both feet down I was hit from behind by a minivan at relatively low speed, less than 10 mph, but probably more than 5. At the low speed, it was less of an impact, more like a very hard shove. The right side of his bumper hit the left rear of my bike, pushing me forward and to the right. I knew I was getting hit, and was able to quickly step through the crash and keep my footing as the bike went down. A pedestrian quickly helped me right the bike, and I motioned to the driver to pull over. Luckily, there were several police officers close by, as there's a station at that corner, so I had no trouble getting a police report started.

Damage: Left rear blinker is snapped. Deep scratches on the exhaust, heat shields, and right mirror. Rear brake pedal is tweaked, front brake lever needs replacement, throttle grip is pretty chewed up.

Injuries: None. Could have been worse, rear-endings don't usually have happy endings.

So, thought I'd share my accident, be safe out there!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I commute in NYC every day, riding from Brooklyn to Manhattan. On Monday morning I had just come over the Brooklyn Bridge and was in front of City Hall in Manhattan. I was in a left lane turning left at an intersection, occupying the right third of my lane. The light turned from green to yellow, I was not going to make it, so I applied brakes and slowed to a stop as the first vehicle in the turn-lane. My bike was angled slightly to the left in anticipation of the upcoming turn. Maybe 1/3 of a second after I got both feet down I was hit from behind by a minivan at relatively low speed, less than 10 mph, but probably more than 5. At the low speed, it was less of an impact, more like a very hard shove. The right side of his bumper hit the left rear of my bike, pushing me forward and to the right. I knew I was getting hit, and was able to quickly step through the crash and keep my footing as the bike went down. A pedestrian quickly helped me right the bike, and I motioned to the driver to pull over. Luckily, there were several police officers close by, as there's a station at that corner, so I had no trouble getting a police report started.

Damage: Left rear blinker is snapped. Deep scratches on the exhaust, heat shields, and right mirror. Rear brake pedal is tweaked, front brake lever needs replacement, throttle grip is pretty chewed up.

Injuries: None. Could have been worse, rear-endings don't usually have happy endings.

It's sad actually that you got hit and for no fault of yours, but happy to note you got away unscathed. Take care buddy. Ride safe.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's unfortunate, it sucks that has to happen. Did you manage to take pictures of the accident? It's what I always do after getting into an accident.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HDGuy, I did get pictures, and I'm waiting for the police report that should also document the damage. If all goes well, I'll be able to replace the parts that would have been replaced soon anyway, and it'll be out of the other guy's pocket instead of mine. Wouldn't mind replacing the stock exhaust with a Vance & Hines, ****, it's probably cheaper than the HD pipe.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hopefully you'll be able to do that, great opportunity to mod your bike as you clearly know.
What other exhaust systems have you looked at?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
HDGuy, I did get pictures, and I'm waiting for the police report that should also document the damage. If all goes well, I'll be able to replace the parts that would have been replaced soon anyway, and it'll be out of the other guy's pocket instead of mine. Wouldn't mind replacing the stock exhaust with a Vance & Hines, ****, it's probably cheaper than the HD pipe.

I'd just include the V&H's exhaust in the total cost of repairs for the insurance claim against the other driver. The insurance company is unlikely to challenge the cost of repairs as it is an insignificant cost for an insurance company.

·
Registered
548 Posts
yikes! Texting guaranteed, how do you miss something that blatent in front of you at such a low speed? Its the only explanation. In a mini van? FOR SUREEE.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yikes! Texting guaranteed, how do you miss something that blatent in front of you at such a low speed? Its the only explanation. In a mini van? FOR SUREEE.
No I disagree... it is a MINIVAN driver! That is the reason. I have never trusted minivan drivers. Mostly women but men are just as bad. They are VERY poor drivers. If I saw one in my rearview mirror I would have run the light. Okay maybe not but would have been looking for an exit strategy.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts

Sorry that you were in an accident but very happy to hear that there is no injuries to you. I would be madder than a frog in hot grease. If they did not see you going that slow then they were not looking up by more likely at a down at a darn phone in their hands.

I was out riding the other day, on my way back to the house when this car decide, she should be in front of me, I made a mental note of my escape path and decided there really wasnt one, so I laid on my horn, it was so funny because I dont think this driver knew that bikes come with horns.. I think I scared the piss out of her to the point that she completely stop in traffic.

Be safe out there guys!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Likely.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to work for short period in and around the NYC area. Seems like the bumpers on every vehicle there were all scuffed and dinged up. God forbid you stop while a traffic light is still yellow, the next eight cars will run over you. I doubt I would ride a motorcycle if lived anywhere near any high population city.
Lucky for me, I live near a small town.
I always watch my mirrors before and during braking and stopping, with an escape route planned should I see an apparent inattentive cager approaching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts